Start by marking “Staircase of a Thousand Steps” as Want to Read:
Staircase of a Thousand Steps

Staircase of a Thousand Steps

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Set in Transjordan just before the 1967 war with Israel, Staircase of a Thousand Steps is a "remarkably well-written...thoroughly absorbing novel" (Arizona Daily Sun) that takes us to a place where memory whispers like fear, where visions of a long-ago forbidden love affair haunt a precocious young girl and where the flare of old rivalries can be as sudden as searing as ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Blue Hen (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Staircase of a Thousand Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staircase of a Thousand Steps

PurplyCookie
Apr 26, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Jammana, a 11-year-old girl experiences an unsettling coming of age in a Jordanian village. She possesses an ancestral gift that allows her to see the past, travels with her mother, Rafa, against her father's wishes, to Rafa's birthplace, the ancient village of Ein Fadr.

The story is told from the perspective of each character and spans four generations of a family immediately preceding the 1967 war with Israel.

Visions of her family's past are in Jammana's dreams. Because the dreams are incompl
Deb
Apr 27, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
OOoooOOO, all the feels that get felt with this book. Another place, another time, another culture, I feel the sand on my cheek, smell the bread on the outdoor fire, feel the love of father for child, man for woman, child for mother. All of the entanglements of past choices and current events in a Middle Eastern village clinging to the past while surrounded by war and modern times. A family blessed and cursed with foresight and hindsight knowing they cannot change the will of Allah.
Kate
Mar 18, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Very readable. The characters were interesting and generally likeable, and the setting (a small Muslim village in Transjordan in the late 1960's)was interesting as well. One noticable thing about the story was its treatment of women. Many stories about the Middle East and Muslim societies focus on the domination of the women by the men; in Staircase, the overt power of the men (both societal and physical) is both tempered and circumvented by the influence of the women...interesting (how many tim ...more
Andy Plonka
Sep 12, 2015 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
Despite being set in the 20th century, this tale has feel of ancient times within family relationships. The women are much more forceful than their ancient counterparts would have been.
Niki
Jul 24, 2013 Niki rated it really liked it
How tradition can run and ruin lives. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading. I finished it within a weekend, and that's what this book is great for - a nice weekend read with a compelling story. The ending felt a bit rushed but I wasn't disappointed by it; it seemed fitting, as the main character's life was a whirlwind at that point. I only wish there had been more about the dynamic between Ahmed and Rafa.
Holly
Jun 27, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok
This is my 4th book about the middle east. The syntax of the languages, the colors of the land, the sounds of it's cities... the middle east has "gotten under my skin." I think I've fallen in love. And now it lays waste from war after war, invasion after invasion. The world needs to give the middle east time to heal, time for the traumatized people, and time for the ravaged environment.
Carrie
Oct 27, 2012 Carrie rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, even though it was slow to get into and the ending kind of fell flat. But it was well-written and the character development was solid. It was interesting to me to learn a little about Jordanian villages and customs, along with the superstitions that drive the people to do what they do, much of which is not lawful or socially acceptable (in our society).
Pamela
Jun 19, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
This covers conformity and consequences in a small, Middle Eastern Village but could be set in almost any small town anywhere. There is a lyrical, haunting quality to the novel, though, that is mystical as it deals with various gifts of seeing that several of the characters have.
Abhay
Jan 20, 2013 Abhay rated it really liked it
Set in the Middle East this story gives you a feel of what remains after war. After reading first page of the book, I knew I will not be able to put it down and I didn't.
Jeannine
Feb 09, 2008 Jeannine rated it it was ok
This was an interesting book from a cultural viewpoint, however, it was sad and had a dissatisfying ending. I recommend The Kite Runner instead.
Courtney
May 23, 2007 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A beautiful story of inner strength, overcoming patriarchy and tradition, and love. Highly recommended - this author writes lyrically.
Margy
Feb 10, 2011 Margy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! There is some sadness, but also strengh, goodness, and hope. And some very strong women.
Susanne
May 18, 2007 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love history and a great story
So evocative. Hamilton really puts the reader in her books, and the characters are beautifully drawn.
Demetria
Feb 25, 2008 Demetria rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Well-written. But I felt like there was an ending, but I wanted a new beginning.
Gretel
Dec 29, 2008 Gretel rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous language, but not for those who don't relish descriptive narration.
Jul 07, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
Wonderfully evocative, great descriptions, reads like a modern fable.
Mrose
Jun 03, 2010 Mrose rated it it was amazing
fun to read...different structure of storytelling was challenging and fun.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
May 13, 2016
Aaah
Aaah marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Jane Boice
Jane Boice marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Asdf
Asdf rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Alison
Alison added it
Feb 24, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Marieke
Marieke rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
  • Vanished
  • The Price of a Child: A Novel
  • Lambs of God
  • Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God
  • The Soul Thief (The Life and Times of Corban Loosestrife, #1)
  • Little Audrey
  • Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain
  • The German Mujahid
  • Captivity
Masha Hamilton is the author of five novels: Staircase of a Thousand Steps, (2001) a Booksense pick by independent booksellers and a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers selection; The Distance Between Us, (2004) named one of the best books of the year by Library Journal, The Camel Bookmobile, (2007) also a Booksense pick, and 31 Hours, named by the Washington Post as one of the best book ...more
More about Masha Hamilton...