Start by marking “Dimanche and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Dimanche and Other Stories

Dimanche and Other Stories

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  65 reviews
A never-before-translated collection by the bestselling author of Suite Française

Written between 1934 and 1942, these ten gem-like stories mine the same terrain of Némirovsky's bestselling novel Suite Française: a keen eye for the details of social class; the tensions between mothers and daughters, husbands and wives; the manners and mannerisms of the French bourgeoisie;
Published April 6th 2010 by Vintage (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Dimanche and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dimanche and Other Stories

Suite Francaise by Irène NémirovskyUn bambino prodigio by Irène NémirovskyDavid Golder by Irène NémirovskyEl baile by Irène NémirovskyDavid Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair by Irène Némirovsky
Best of Irene Nemirovsky
16th out of 18 books — 1 voter
A Year in Provence by Peter MayleLunch in Paris by Elizabeth BardPicnic in Provence by Elizabeth BardI'll Never Be French (no matter what I do) by Mark GreensideThe Miracle Thief by Iris Anthony
Life in France
120th out of 134 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Ali
Persephone publishes a number of collections of short stories – and they are generally the kind of short stories I love. Dimanche and other stories were all written in the 1930’s and 40’s but not published in English until 2000. This is a truly wonderful collection, beautifully written, atmospheric stories, breathtakingly observed, some are almost like short novels in themselves, and peopled with memorably complex but very real characters.
Short stories as I have said before are very difficult t
Schmacko
Continuing my obsessive reading of Irène Némirovsky, I picked up a collection of her short stories, Dimanche (Sunday). These brief writings—mostly from the 30s and early 40s—have just recently been translated from Némirovsky’s French into English. Here, in ten short tales, we get a clear sense of a writer coming into her own style and voice. Although she doesn’t quite tap the emotional depth she did with her unfinished 1942 masterpiece Suite Française, it’s easy to sense her growth and the shapi ...more
Tuck
masterful short stories mostly set in paris before and in beginning of wwii. an interesting aspect is most of the dialog is interior and in quotes, and what little is "said" out loud to each other is banal, duplicitous, rote. seems all her characters can reason and communicate with THEMSELVES, but loath and disdain others, even their own lovers and family. just wonderful art and stories. just imagine if she had survived the nazis.
Isabelle
Each one of those ten stories was an absolute gem; I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite among them. Nemirovsky's world is so distinctive, with its atmosphere of loneliness, disconnection and bourgeois aloofness. I felt like I was visiting an old friend I had not seen in a while, and I picked up where we had left off, smoothly and effortlessly.

Diane
Dimanche and Other Stories is a a wonderful collection of (1) short stories, written between 1934 - 1942. The author, and her husband died in Auschwitz, but their two you daughter survived, protected by a teacher, friends of the family in various safe houses. Some of her writing was tucked away in a suitcase and saved, and then published many years after her death.

The stories in this collection take place in France before and after the war. Most of the stories centered around family, relationshi
Stephanie
Readying Nemirovsky is like having a bottomless stomach, paired with a bottomless supply of chocolate ice cream from Paris' Berthillon cafe (walk over the pedestrian bridge from the back side of Notre Dame and your first cafe on your right is Berthillon). You never want her books to end. She has just the right combination of smooth richness and sweetness, with a touch of bitterness.

"Dimanche" ("Sunday") is a set of dix (ten) short stories. Some work much better than others. All deal with class,
Don Weidinger
20 in 1934 Paris older one was alone loss useless doomed, inheritance led to every possible money loss with your character marriage was disaster, all the daily struggles that unite couples more strongly than love, a man’s life exists when wife takes hold thereof, nothing binds more than natural struggles as in youth, something overpowering about a woman who wants to be loved, what women wants God wants, never mock body face lovemaking, what in heart in mind to actions, go with God, artists live ...more
Sskous
another penetrating set of small studies by Nemirovsky. very fine reading.
Janet
The first two stories were depressing but interesting in their oddness. I thought that the themes of obsession with youth and beauty combined with cold hearts and desperation would change with the following stories.

My thoughts on the first two stories were as follows;

If this author were a man she would be a misogynist.

It is depressing to see these young supposedly beautiful women fully obsessed with their looks, youth, and station in life, while being so desperate for a man's affection.
While
Sasha Martinez
Oct 02, 2011 Sasha Martinez added it
Shelves: 2010
The stories in the collection display the same depth of character in Suite Française — people caught in the war, people caught in their own lives despite of the war: socialites, politicians, children, farmers, artists. And Némirovsky once again displays how she can be both ruthless and lovely with her characters, her stories.

In the stories “Brotherhood,” “The Spectator” and “Mister Rose,” we’ve got entitled characters, those who feel themselves untouchable by the war. And in the bottom line, r
Jenna
A solid collection of stories about familial commitments and betrayals.

In the title story, a mother and daughter each mistakenly imagines the naivete of the other. In several stories--especially "Those Happy Shores," "Brotherhood," and "The Unknown Soldier"--characters find uncanny similarities between their own lives and those they might have otherwise considered the enemy. The dawn of World War II is evident in "The Unknown Soldier," "Mr. Rose," and "The Spectator," and is especially interest
Austen to Zafón
I thoroughly savored this book of short stories from before & during WWII in France, which is something for me since i usually tear through books too quickly to truly savor them. But the writing was so careful and beautiful, and the stories so poignant, they refused to be rushed. Némirovsky was born in the Ukraine in 1903, but moved to France, went to the Sorbonne, and wrote prolifically until her death in 1942 in Auschwitz in 1942. And I'm thrilled she did because I look forward to reading ...more
Barbm1020
I loved this book because it's so French! Having enjoyed French literature as a college student years ago, it was bittersweet to revisit the bittersweet days of 1934 in France, and the touching depictions of women young and older, as they approach their need for love and their view of one another and of the men in their lives. Each seems to think that others are happier. So true to life. Then the war comes. Lives are lost, damaged, families suffer, fragile relationships are destroyed by the desi ...more
Rosemary
Irène Némirovsky was a French writer of Ukrainian Jewish origin, born 1903 and died 1942 in Auschwitz. She was well known in France during her lifetime, publishing several novels and many short stories. She is best known now for the unfinished multi-part novel Suite Francaise which was discovered and published in 2004.

The stories in this collection are mostly gentle studies of characters and relationships. Often there is not much in the way of plot and drama, even though death may be involved.

I
Maddie
Némirovsky is talented in her ability to look at an issue or event from many perspectives. This talent is wonderfully showcased in this collection of extremely human characters as they react to the upcoming/occurring WWII.
Sher
I'm not rating this book because I just couldn't finish it. I don't think that is because it was bad or uninteresting, but rather because I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. In fact, I'm pretty sure this would be a great book if I wanted to take the time to really get into it. It is a collection of short stories about interpersonal relationships with an ironic twist at the end, things that I usually really love to read, but I just need to read something different than this right now. It wi ...more
Lorri
The ten stories in Dimanche and Other Stories, by Irene Nemirovsky, are vivid images of life, set primarily in France. From the bourgeois and their social status, to the Holocaust horrors, Nemirovsky’s perspective on individuals coming to grips with their situations is compelling and startling.

Nemirovsky is brilliant at evoking the feelings and thoughts of the varied class statuses, and how they interplay with each other, in the daily norm of life. The bourgeois, in the end, realize how their w
Teresa
3.75/5
Nemirovsky's writing is as beautiful as ever, I really enjoy reading it, it's so delicate and she conveys such a vivid portrait of the ambience where each of the stories take place (especially when she is talking about Finland).
But also she describes so well the French bourgeoisie. the characters se creates are complex, even jf they only appear for some twenty pages you can understand them; you can see their depth, what they hide.
Of course some stories are better than others but overall t
Emily
I didn't like her short stories as much as I liked Suite Francaise. Many of her main characters seemed too simple and mean (the self-ish type of mean). For example, I can't really understand the idea of the aging mother who is hateful toward and jealous of her young, beautiful daughter getting all the attention at parties. I'm not a mother, but that type of character seemed so prevalent in her short stories but wasn't believable to me. Perhaps a cultural thing or personal experience of the autho ...more
Rebecca
I usually don't like short stories, because I like a full book to develop story lines. But I decided to make an exception for Irene, since I loved so many of her other books. The short stories weren't as passionate as Suite Française, the unfinished work giving her a lot of attention these days. However, each short story peers into the human mind to see how it works, which is fascinating. Her characters are always so fleshed out, and this is no exception. I recommend it to everyone, whether you' ...more
V.S. Kemanis
I listened to this collection in my car on the way to work. Narrator Cassandra Campbell is exceptional and lets the story speak for itself, adding just the hint of an accent or inflection when necessary to let you know who's speaking. Némirovsky writes the kind of story I love, very rich in depth of character, extremely subtle, full of psychological suspense and secrets that creep up to reveal themselves. Amazing that stories written 70 years ago feel so true, the emotions so relevant. "Don Juan ...more
Jean
This is a beautiful collection of short stories that capture so very well the day to day lives of a certain (mostly privileged) class of people during a certain period of time in France. Knowing a bit of the life of the author and especially her untimely death in the Nazi death camps makes her writing even more poignant. If you have a busy schedule you can read most of these stories in a very short time period and have the experience of wonderfully written prose.
Alison

I am usually not a big fan of short stories but I really enjoyed this book. It was a interesting look at the upper class in France before the war. The bulk of the stories focus on relationships and they way we lie and hurt each other. The last couple of stories look at the beginning of the war and the impact on France. The author was killed in Auschwitz in 1943, the end leaves you wishing you could read her reflections on the rest of the war.
Patty
This book is a collection of ten stories writtn between 1934 and 1942. Like her others writings, Nemirovsky has a keen sense of detail. She is able to describe the manners and mannerisms of the lives of men and women in wartime France in a few pages that leave you knowing that person. The tensions between mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, are not contrived but seem natural. I think I could read Nemirovsky again and again.
Renee
A Collection of short stories comprised mostlyof simple plots. There are no super heroes here, just people doing the best they can to live their lives. I felt some stories in this collection are a bit confusing and some (like any collection of short stories) are better and more interesting than others, but Irene Nemirovsky is very good at conveying the conflicts and inner struggles of ordinary people.
Maureen M
Irene Nemirovsky fills this collection of stories with characters as powerful and quirky as Suite Francaise. At least one of the stories seems like a early draft for the rich man who tries to keep his world in order even as he flees. Her writing is wonderful, but I come away from these tales of perfidious lovers and selfish rich folks thinking that Irene was not a happy person.
Ffiamma
quanta spietatezza, in questi racconti. nemirovsky non salva nessuno e nemmeno fa sconti nello svelare le magagne, le bassezze e le meschinità umane. borghesi, nobili, poveracci, uomini e donne, tutti rotolano nel fango senza possibilità di redenzione, portano maschere, subiscono rivelazioni spiacevoli, soffrono senza poter condividere nulla davvero. ennesima prova di bravura.
Diane
I just love the writing of Irene Nemirovsky and these short stories are just as wonderful as her novels. While some stories were definitely more interesting than others, Nemirovsky is a master at drawing characters and setting the atmosphere. I am always saddened at remembering how her life ended and what has been missed because of that.
Päivi Brink
Hieno kokoelma novelleja vuosilta 1934-42. Hyvin valitut novellit edustavat kaikkia tyypillisiä Némirovskyn teemoja: äidin ja tyttären kilpailusuhde, naisen rooli rakastajattarena, vaimona ja prostituoituna, juutalaisuus maanpakolaisuutena, pienen ranskalaisen kylän ihmissuhteet jne. Annikki Sunin hieno käännös.
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • The Crowded Street
  • Mariana
  • The Fortnight in September
  • Journal of Katherine Mansfield
Irène Némirovsky (born February 11, 1903, Kiev, died August 17, 1942, Auschwitz, Poland) was a Jewish novelist and biographer born in the Ukraine, who lived and worked in France.

More about Irène Némirovsky...
Suite Française Fire in the Blood All Our Worldly Goods El baile David Golder

“Where do we find happiness? We pursue it, search for it, kill ourselves trying to find it, and all the time it's just here...It comes just when we've stopped expecting anything, stopped hoping, stopped being afraid.” 1 likes
“How tolerable misfortunes appear when they affect only other people! How strong the human body seems when it's another man's flesh that bleeds! How easy it is to look death in the face when it's another man's turn!” 0 likes