Start by marking “The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)

The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,174 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
One beautiful day, a shy little kitten embarks on a journey filled with adventure! In the course of her wanderings, she meets an interesting and often amusing collection of fellow creatures. The Shy Little Kitten, with illustrations by the renowned Gustaf Tenggren.
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1946)

Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Cat Lovers List
37th out of 712 books — 337 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
39th out of 369 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara
Dec 05, 2013 Cara rated it it was ok
It's just not my thing... I don't understand why the kitten is labelled shy when it heads out to explore the world while its siblings stay home, and, while I know it's wrong to compare novels such as this to other similar ones, I don't understand why the pokey little puppy got in trouble for running away and the shy little kitten didn't... Just screams discrimination to me... Might have to check spark notes for further analysis...
Shawn Thrasher
Jul 12, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
The enchanting mid century illustrations are the saving grace for this strange little story. The illustrations would make excellent wall paper for a children's room in a midcentury modern home...

Exactly why was a kitten eating a carrot at the end? And what was so funny about a bee stinging a frog? I don't think that was funny, I think it sounds painful. Plus, they all laughed at him, and then he laughed along, but I doubt he found it amusing. I think they were all stoned at the end, particularl
Megan
I'm not sure what makes this kitten shy. She's the only kitten who leaves their mother and the only kitten who makes friends with other creatures; that seems pretty outgoing to me!
Ainsley
Jan 19, 2010 Ainsley rated it it was amazing
I really really liked this book because I had it since I was a baby and I really really like cats.
Magdelanye
In a little pile of books in the corner of my favorite bar in Barcelona was this one.I had forgotten the name...it was my very first book...but I never forgot the sense of identification I felt with that shy little kitten,whose curiousity took her so far.

I also remember the feelings evoked by especially the mole,who for some reason I found very disturbing, and that little black dog with the very pink mouth,scared me silly and was probably one of the reasons I wasted a lot of years being afraid o
Karen
Aug 19, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
For the past few nights, my four-year-old son has been taking a few Little Golden Books to bed. I'm not really sure if it is because of the stories or the shiny gold spines. The Shy Little Kitten he seems especially fond of.

We have three cats in our house. Not one of them was shy little kitten. They all, however, were just as cute as the shy little kitten. I think the story might have been written around the adorable illustrations, but it still works. What is really great is not only is this bo
Brittany Heck
Mar 16, 2016 Brittany Heck rated it really liked it
This is an adorable children's book. The story is about a small "shy" kitten who has an adventure. Without giving away the story, I am unsure that the kitten is actually shy. Actually, the more I reread the story in my head I think about how the kitten wondered away from her family and spent the day with animals she didn't know. I am certainly not the type of person who thinks this will encourage children to talk to strangers but it was just a thought I had. Anyway, this story falls in line with ...more
Aug 15, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I do not like this book - the writing style is very outdated (published in 1946) and the 'shy little kitten' part makes me feel like the author is referring to girls in general, for some reason. But Kate seems to really enjoy it, so out it comes every night.
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
I was surprised by what good condition this was in, compared to other books from my childhood. then I realized that it wasn't from my childhood, it was a recent copy given to the girls. Man, that 1946 artwork is odd.
Sri
** spoiler alert **
Seekor anak kucing kecil yang pemalu ternyata tak malu-malu untuk berkenalan dengan seekor tikus mondok dan seekor katak. Tidak panik ketika terpisah dari induk dan saudara-saudaranya. Tidak takut untuk menerima pertolongan seekor anak anjing yang mau mengantarkannya pulang. Dalam perjalanan dia kembali menemui teman baru, seekor tupai.
Di hari petualangannya dia merasa bahagia.
Alison
Mar 10, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, grade-1
As an old classic, this story still proves its importance through its pages. I was a shy girl when I was little and used to do the things this little kitten does. That is why I love this story for I could connect to it. This is a lovely beginning read for those that are intimidated by others or reading in general. It really helps take the shyness away, and it even provides comprehension questions at the end too.
Marya
May 03, 2015 Marya rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Why is the little kitten shy? What are the consequences (other than a nice walk with mole)? I guess the story's very childlike in that, like a story told by a child, it has no point. The kids I read it to were deeply dissatisfied with that though. They expected better.
Kate
Oct 24, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
A very basic story that I only picked up because I love cats and the illustrations are fabulously vintage. I think once my little one is old enough to really understand what I'm reading (or able to read themselves) this one will start collecting dust on the shelf.
Peacegal
Dec 30, 2015 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is a cute little book with the classic Golden Book illustrations that we all remember from our childhoods. The illustrations are cute and nostalgic, but the story is indeed pretty strange and rambling.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Mar 02, 2016 Siskiyou-Suzy rated it did not like it
This book is terrible. It's not about a shy kitten, first of all. That kitten just wanders around. It doesn't act shy in the slightest. So don't read it to shy kids thinking they'll feel any affinity. Also, the kitten just goes off with a stranger, which is sort of weird. Not one of the better Little Golden Books.
Randy Daugherty
May 03, 2015 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it
The shy little kitten and his adventures around the farm,This is a great first read book and one very child would easily be able to make it through and enjoy while doing it.
Sarah Adamson
This is a sweet story, obviously an older book but for us it just started a huge discussion about wandering off and not going with strangers even if they are a cute little mole or extra fluffy dog. So I just struggled with this one a bit!
Lee
A classic children's story about a kitten's trip through a farm yard.
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 H.L. Stephens rated it it was amazing
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Bill Cather
Jun 16, 2015 Bill Cather rated it really liked it
Gustaf Tenggren is a wonderful illustrator!
Kimberley
Oct 01, 2015 Kimberley rated it liked it
cute
Sheila Myers
Jan 29, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-fiction
Even at a young age, I loved cats so this was one of my favorite books.
Barb
Jul 04, 2011 Barb rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, children-s
I read this while waiting for a table at the Swedish restaurant yesterday; it was at the Swedish shop across the street. The illustrator, Gustaf Tenggren, is Swedish-American. Anyway, I'm a sucker for cat books and the illustration of the shy little kitten looked very much like my big shy cat. The story was...well, for kids, but I did like the illustrations, which look like watercolor. The kittens just look so fuzzy! lol
Bryan
Mar 30, 2012 Bryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: lit-childrens
This was part of the winter book collection at Chik-fil-a. This is probably my least favorite of the group. The watercolor drawings are a bit odd at times and the story makes women appear weak. That being said it is story about a female kitten who is lost and tries to find mother again. She meets a mole and frog along the way.
Nancy Shaffer
Apr 21, 2014 Nancy Shaffer rated it really liked it
Very cute story, loved the illustrations, especially the kittens face!
Dolly
Apr 18, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
Short book about a little kitten who gets separated from her siblings and mama and has a little adventure before finding her way back home. Cute, colorful illustrations that seem to stand the test of time, since the book was written over 60 years ago.
Genevieve
This book was about a shy kitten she went and met many animals. I liked this book because the kitten was cute. My favorite character was the shy little kitten because she's cute. I would recommend this book.
Logan
Jul 02, 2009 Logan rated it liked it
Plot be damned, Logan likes any book with cute pictures of kittens or cats. And these are pretty darn cute. I find the plot dated and irritating to read, but Logan likes to "read" it to himself quite a bit.
Joy
Sep 25, 2007 Joy rated it it was amazing
i remember reading alot of these books from the big little golden book collection and i think this one was my favorite as a child....too bad i dont have them anymore!
  • Baby Farm Animals
  • Tootle (a Little Golden Book)
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • Prayers for Children
  • Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Three Little Kittens
  • The Three Bears
  • The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
  • The Fire Engine Book