The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)

The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,486 ratings  ·  29 reviews
One beautiful day, a shy little kitten embarks on a journey filled with adventure! In the course of her wanderings, she meets an interesting and often amusing collection of fellow creatures. The Shy Little Kitten, with illustrations by the renowned Gustaf Tenggren.
Published September 14th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1946)

Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
38th out of 540 books — 254 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
46th out of 320 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara
It's just not my thing... I don't understand why the kitten is labelled shy when it heads out to explore the world while its siblings stay home, and, while I know it's wrong to compare novels such as this to other similar ones, I don't understand why the pokey little puppy got in trouble for running away and the shy little kitten didn't... Just screams discrimination to me... Might have to check spark notes for further analysis...
Shawn Thrasher
The enchanting mid century illustrations are the saving grace for this strange little story. The illustrations would make excellent wall paper for a children's room in a midcentury modern home...

Exactly why was a kitten eating a carrot at the end? And what was so funny about a bee stinging a frog? I don't think that was funny, I think it sounds painful. Plus, they all laughed at him, and then he laughed along, but I doubt he found it amusing. I think they were all stoned at the end, particularl...more
Ainsley
I really really liked this book because I had it since I was a baby and I really really like cats.
Jess
When I was first able to read, I kept this book on hand at (nearly) all times. The first signs of destruction were the peeling of the spine, the next, the pages falling from inside, here and there, so only bits and pieces of the story remained. So I glued it back together, again...and again...and again...until my mom bought a two new copies. One kept hidden, and the other for me to carry around again. I feel terribly sorry for my mom, as she read it to me, listened to me read it out loud. I must...more
Magdelanye
In a little pile of books in the corner of my favorite bar in Barcelona was this one.I had forgotten the name...it was my very first book...but I never forgot the sense of identification I felt with that shy little kitten,whose curiousity took her so far.

I also remember the feelings evoked by especially the mole,who for some reason I found very disturbing, and that little black dog with the very pink mouth,scared me silly and was probably one of the reasons I wasted a lot of years being afraid o...more
Karen
For the past few nights, my four-year-old son has been taking a few Little Golden Books to bed. I'm not really sure if it is because of the stories or the shiny gold spines. The Shy Little Kitten he seems especially fond of.

We have three cats in our house. Not one of them was shy little kitten. They all, however, were just as cute as the shy little kitten. I think the story might have been written around the adorable illustrations, but it still works. What is really great is not only is this bo...more
I do not like this book - the writing style is very outdated (published in 1946) and the 'shy little kitten' part makes me feel like the author is referring to girls in general, for some reason. But Kate seems to really enjoy it, so out it comes every night.
Bean
Troy picked up this book at a yard sale, and when I got a hold of it, I read this book out loud to my kitten. We both seemed to enjoy it.

Strangely, I'm considering the illustration on the last page as a tattoo.

Yes, I'm a crazy cat lady.
Megan
I'm not sure what makes this kitten shy. She's the only kitten who leaves their mother and the only kitten who makes friends with other creatures; that seems pretty outgoing to me!
Sarah Adamson
This is a sweet story, obviously an older book but for us it just started a huge discussion about wandering off and not going with strangers even if they are a cute little mole or extra fluffy dog. So I just struggled with this one a bit!
Kaethe
I was surprised by what good condition this was in, compared to other books from my childhood. then I realized that it wasn't from my childhood, it was a recent copy given to the girls. Man, that 1946 artwork is odd.
Cheryl in CC NV
Granted, I'm not the intended audience, but seriously, this seems random and boring to me. Cute pix though.
Barb
I read this while waiting for a table at the Swedish restaurant yesterday; it was at the Swedish shop across the street. The illustrator, Gustaf Tenggren, is Swedish-American. Anyway, I'm a sucker for cat books and the illustration of the shy little kitten looked very much like my big shy cat. The story was...well, for kids, but I did like the illustrations, which look like watercolor. The kittens just look so fuzzy! lol
Bryan
This was part of the winter book collection at Chik-fil-a. This is probably my least favorite of the group. The watercolor drawings are a bit odd at times and the story makes women appear weak. That being said it is story about a female kitten who is lost and tries to find mother again. She meets a mole and frog along the way.
Nancy Shaffer
Very cute story, loved the illustrations, especially the kittens face!
Furbjr
I read this to my 2nd youngest daughter, aged four. I enjoyed it, mostly because the story is one of independence, where the kitten has an adventure, and it has a happy ending. This is how most things end in life, and I am glad the kitten had a nice adventure.
Dolly
Apr 18, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
Short book about a little kitten who gets separated from her siblings and mama and has a little adventure before finding her way back home. Cute, colorful illustrations that seem to stand the test of time, since the book was written over 60 years ago.
Logan
Plot be damned, Logan likes any book with cute pictures of kittens or cats. And these are pretty darn cute. I find the plot dated and irritating to read, but Logan likes to "read" it to himself quite a bit.
Miriam
This gentle little narrative describes a shy kitten who goes for a walk with a mole. She meets a frog, a puppy, and a squirrel. Along with her mother, siblings and some other farm animals, they have a picnic.
Joy
i remember reading alot of these books from the big little golden book collection and i think this one was my favorite as a child....too bad i dont have them anymore!
Mckinley
The idea is to introduce animals as the shy kitten ventures out from the farm around the country. Odd to laugh at the poor frog who gets stung by a bee.
Caroline
I loved the Little Golden Book series growing up and was excited to see that they have found a resurgence in popularity. Great books for kids to grow up with!
Leslie
Dec 29, 2007 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids with cats
I got this for my daughter for Christmas. It is a "pillow book", so the pages are huge and my little girl can cuddle the book. Awwwww.
This kitten isn't shy. How am I supposed to use this book to define "shy" when it isn't used properly? Cute renderings, though.
Janice
Kept the attention of 2.5 year old for duration of book -- that in itself warrants a five star rating.
Matt Persons
This is a good tale about overcoming or rather managing shyness. Can be helpful to a young child.
Katrina
One of my favorite Golden Books as a child!
Sheila Read
this kitten is so shy just can't make friends
Melissa
a childhood favorite
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Farm Animals
  • The Bunny Book
  • Tootle
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Pinocchio
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Three Little Kittens
  • The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
Naturally Yours:  A Personal Experience with Natural Childbirth Kittens: Three Complete Stories (Big Golden Book) The Shy Little Kitten (A Little Golden Book Classic) Little Golden Book Classics:  Three Best-Loved Tales:  The Shy Little Kitten, The Lion's Paw, and The Saggy Baggy Elephant 65 Years of Little Golden Books