Start by marking “Last Standing Woman” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A powerful and poignant novel tracing the lives of seven generations of Anishinaabe (O)bwe/Chippewa).'...an impressive fiction debut....skillfully intertwines social history. oral myth and character study...." Publishers Weekly.
Published November 26th 1999 by Voyageur Press (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Last Standing Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Standing Woman

Allicia
I related to the main character and the events that unfolded throughout the storyline. It has become one of my favorite books. I was surprised when reading this to find that Winona LaDuke, in my opinion, is a very good fiction writer. She has mainly written non-fiction books on indigenous cultures and societal effects, that it was a nice change to see this side of her writing ability. I fully recommend this book!
Ryan Mishap
The wonderfully told story of White earth and its people from the 1800's to 2000 and beyond. Well done, informative and entertaining tale of the cycles of life, from near annihlation to rejuvenation. This is a great novel.
Hillary
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read about shared history and tradition as it passes through generations and their connection to themselves, their community and the land changes.
Karen
This was a great book. A wonderful addition to anyone's library, especially if they are interested in American Indian Stories. Wonderful read.
Melle
Jan 15, 2008 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Minnesotans, historians, and humanity
Recommended to Melle by: Ginny Carney
Shelves: indigenous, minnesota
The story of the Minnesota Anishinaabeg told through multiple perspectives over several generations -- thought-provoking local historical fiction.
Tiffany
This book is both heart-breaking and beautiful, and it makes great use of the traditions of storytelling. Love that Winona.
Melanie
Informative and powerful, if not the most aesthetically pleasing.
Catherine
Last Standing Woman is a fictional history of the White Earth Idian Reservation in northern Minnesota. Its author, Winona LaDuke is a tribal member and was Ralph Nader's vice-presidential running mate in his bid for the White House. The story spans several generations and is sometimes disjointed in ways that makes it hard to know who it is you're reading about and where they fit into history. There is a geneology that is helpful in sorting this out. That aside, what gives the book value is its a ...more
Taylor
This book follows generations of Chippewa, or Anishinaabe, people from their first meeting with white people to the present. It really illuminates how people are still people no matter when or what kind. It was fairly heart breaking as it covered many tragic stories and instances, but also made me feel very close to the characters at the same time as the spirits who truly encountered what she wrote about.

One really interesting theme was when she writes about the tornado saying "both the making
Laura (booksnob)
With a memorable cast of characters, Last Standing Woman chronicles the history of the people from the White Earth Reservation in Minnesota. The story begins at the borderlands of the Dakota and Anishanaabe with a woman, a woman who was drawn to the border, the Last Standing Woman. The event that occurs is the Dakota Conflict of 1862 in Mankato, Minnesota and it results in the largest mass execution in the U.S. and the removal of the Dakota Indian tribe from Minnesota lands.

Christina
Loved this book. Following the trend of much Am. Indian lit, this book spans generations and multiple perspectives. There's much focus on strong Native women, from origin stories to modern activist women.
Gloria
This is a very informative book about the anishinaabe (Ojibwe) people who live primarily on the White Earth reservation in Minnesota. It is fiction, but points to many real life incidents regarding the oppression and destruction of this Native American people.
Brian Murphy
Though it took me awhile to become invested, I am very glad that I stuck with the novel through the end. LaDuke defies the typical conventions of a novel and incorporates the land as a integral part of the 5-generation narrative.
Lynn
Enjoying this account of MN Native American history. Absolutely loved the book. I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book better than the last quater.
Great Minnesota read.
Ann Tracy
started out strong, but got slow half way in. liked how it was all set in my homestate of mn, but i couldn't go on.
Jeannie
I never heard this side of Minnesota history before! What a loss.
Karlin
A solid piece of historical fiction.
Fabulous - a new fave author for me!
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Hamsa Aboulfotouh
Hamsa Aboulfotouh marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
ElphabaNewlin
ElphabaNewlin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Benjamin Chee
Benjamin Chee marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Krista Parsons
Krista Parsons marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Ian Trupin
Ian Trupin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
sharon jones
sharon jones marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • Gardens in the Dunes
  • Crow Dog: Four Generations of Sioux Medicine Men
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • Two Spirits: A Story of Life with the Navajo
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Waterlily
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
Winona LaDuke is an Anishinaabe Native American activist, environmentalist, economist and writer. She ran for vice president of the United States Green Party in the 1996 and 2000 Presidential elections. She is currently the Executive Director of Honor the Earth and the White Earth Land Recovery Project. She has authored the following books: Last Standing Woman (1997), All our Relations: Native Str ...more
More about Winona LaDuke...
All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life Recovering the Sacred: The Power of Naming and Claiming The Winona LaDuke Reader The Militarization of Indian Country The Sugar Bush

“.. both the making and the unmaking were essential parts of life & necessary to keep the balance.” 3 likes
“The Anishinaabeg world undulated between material and spiritual shadows, never clear which was more prominent at any time. It was as if the world rested in those periods rather than in the light of day. Dawn and dusk, biidaaban, mooka’ang. The gray of sky and earth was just the same, and the distinction between the worlds was barely discernible.” 1 likes