Cuentos

Cuentos

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  1,177 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Cuentos. Provided in Spanish only.
Published May 1st 2004 by Espasa Calpe Mexicana, S.A. (first published 1849)

Jose Luis
Poe es Dios, ya digo. Mataría por estos relatos: William Wilson, El pozo y el péndulo, Manuscrito hallado en una botella, El gato negro, La verdad sobre el caso del señor Valdemar, El retrato oval, El corazón delator, Un descenso al Maelström, El tonel de amontillado, la máscara de la muerte roja, Un cuento de las montañas escabrosas, El hombre de la multitud, Berenice, Ligeia, La caída de la Casa Usher...

Además de ser relatos en los que uno se quedaría a vivir, en ellos se presiente buena part...more
Erika
Finally! I'm finally done with this book! Mr. Poe, you really can be quite insufferable at times. Way too descriptive writing to the point it felt he was just throwing filler fodder at us to increase the page numbers. Abrupt endings all around, tiring soliloquies... I was reading the Spanish version (not the best translation ever, to be honest), so perhaps the reading experience would have been much more enjoyable if I had the text's original version. Maybe I just don't get Poe, maybe it's the g...more
Amy
the great basil rathbone lends his extraordinary voice to six classic poe tales as he brilliantly captures the slow building crescendo of paranoia and madness that make these tales great. a perfect match of voice to verse. hmmm,which is my favorite, is it the tale tell heart, the black cat, the fall of the house of usher, the cask of amontillado, the pit and the pendulum, or the masque of the red death? let me see- a beating bloody heart, a twisted sister, a black cat, a deadly ball, some bricks...more
John Lucy
Poe is a very clever and witty writer who, as we all know, isn't afraid of writing about the dark side of life. Poe is clearly very intelligent and well-read in all subjects. His cleverness and wit allows him to either be funny or very perceptive when it comes to temptation and why people do bad things. That's about all I can say about him. "The Thousand and Second Tale" is quite good and, if you know anything about Poe, almost unexpected in its hilarity.

But then when you get to his more normat...more
Francisco
Si hay un autor en el que el relato breve, el "cuento" pasa a ser una obra maestra, es con Poe. Narraciones plenas de misterio, de desasosiego, que nos hacen sufrir, retorcernos de angustia y mirar desconfiados al extremo oscuro de la habitación... y además, literariamente hablando, todo un catálogo de recursos brillantemente utilizados. Imprescindibles.
Abhranil Dutta
If you are fond of literature and you want to read a classic, you should definately read this..!! :)

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the classic example of the authors who wrote in gothic style..!!

This book is a collection of stories by Edgar Allan Poe. The stories constitutes of sarcasm, dark characters and fear of death..!
Antoinette Palmieri
Back in 1990 something I saved up my allowance $ to be able to buy this book. I was So excited when mom took me to Walden Books. And $20 later it was mine!

I have always liked Poe and I liked him even more when I found out I was born on his birthday.

This is easily one of my most cherished books.
Emily Resnick
I absolutely love everything Edgar Allen Poe. He was a madman and literary genius.
Bob Urgo
I will be up front with this. I only read this after watching The Following on Netflix. I never found the same attraction to Poe that seems to be found in a majority of people. Having read this collection of stories I can't say my thoughts have changed. For a writer who's strength was horror, Poe drifted into various science fiction that was just long winded and not very interesting. I was genuinely surprised to learn murders in the rue morgue was not about an actual morgue. This book I had is w...more
Luz
Claramente Poe es brillante y sus historias tienen un poder inmenso. El libro es básicamente 7 historias de terror y 2 detectivescas. Disfruté mucho leyendo las historias de terror, primero porque tienen este poder inmenso de sentir que estas de testigo junto al protagonista observando el evento sobrenatural, es algo difícil de explicar, pero las historias te atrapan (algunas un tanto bizarras). Pero siempre con ese terror gótico, tal vez? La historia que marcaría de favorita sería la del Pozo y...more
Sebastian
Edgar Allan Poe gilt auch mehr als 150 Jahre nach seinem Tod noch als einer der bedeutendsten Schriftsteller der Kriminal- und Horrorliteratur. Einen Auszug seiner Werke bietet der erste Teil der “Erzählungen”-Sammlung aus der Audible-Klassikerreihe.

Wer in letzter Zeit meine Twitter-Einträge verfolgt hat, der wird sicherlich mitbekommen haben, dass ich kürzlich mit großer Begeisterung die US-Serie “The Following” mit Kevin Bacon geschaut habe. Darin geht es um den verurteilten Serienmörder Joe C...more
Melineh Mansour
I chose this book because I know that Edgar Allan Poe was a great horror story writer who never failed to entertain his readers. This book is a collection of his best stories featuring "A Descent Into The Maelstrom" and many more. There are 15 stories in total and not one of them failed to entertain me. My favorite story out of the 15 is "The Tell-Tale Heart." It is about an unnamed narrator who is driven insane to the point of murdering this old man because of his "vulture eye." He carefully ca...more
Celeste
Poe defintely creeped into my mind with his dark stories.

The Black Cat: A Cat that taunts your inner demons and drives you into madness and makes a man commit horrendous crimes. The poor cat all he wanted was to be loved :(

A Tell Tale Heart: One mans battle with a old man's blind eye.

Hop Frog: Don't be a bully!!

The Fall of the House of Usher: Grieving over a loved one's death can be damaging in more ways than one.

Poe's stories are pychological horror stories, he is a very good writer I have ne...more
Yosoyunniño
Sprinkled with figurative description and chilling ambiance.
Amazing, mind boggling and thrilling stories.
The only disadvantage for me is that the storyteller is way to descriptive and the use of archaic English is dragging it down.
I did not understand the second story. At all.
Count Bookula
Of course I love this! He's a true master and any horror reader who hasn't read Poe needs to get back on track and read his works immediatley.
Cinthya_ch
Feb 17, 2014 Cinthya_ch marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I almost cried when I saw this baby at the bookstore
Sharon Hass
I have always enjoyed reading his tales. Love the way he wrote.
Mario
Qué se puede esperar de un hombre que es considerado el padre del cuento policiaco y de la anticipación científica? Qué se puede esperar de alguien que escribió gran parte de sus cuentos entre el opio y el alcohol? Qué se puede esperar de alguien cuyo mayor miedo es el entierro prematuro?

Las respuestas a todas estas preguntas se encuentran esparcidas en todos los cuentos de Poe. Sus logros son sorprendentes, no encuentro palabras para recomendar más este libro, léalo por favor!
Evan
My grandfather gave me this book when i maybe 7 years old and the skeleton with the red eyes on the front cover scared me to death, so i hid it in my bookshelf. 20 years later I pulled it out of my bookshelf and read it cover to cover and loved it so much that i promptly bought another book with even more of Poe's short stories in it. Thanks grandpa! Sorry it took me so long to read it, but i'm sure i appreciated it more when i finally read it that i would have at seven years old.
Shawnee Bowlin
Oct 16, 2008 Shawnee Bowlin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschool teachers
Recommended to Shawnee by: A public school teacher
Not one of my favorites, but certainly not one to be overlooked. Edgar Allan Poe reveals the depth of his emotions and desperation in his stories. It is a good idea to include this book in homeschool reading for older teens if for no other reason than the author is a well-known and respected one. Because teens struggle to express themselves and to deal effectively with their emotions, they should be able to relate to the author.
Grace
an entertaining book very witty, mysterious stories have really reflect the intelligence of the author to look real stories, this book gets to work wit who reads. I recommend it.
Sofia Ribeiro malta
Since i saw the movie Raven i had to find out books from Edgar Allan Poe! The movie made me get sooo interested by the author that i had to look further about him! I bought a book with some Poe's stories and i just love it, he was very creative...and for his century....wow, he was awful! Im just sad about his final end....it seems nobody knows till today how he died or why....something just went wrong that day :(
Zweegas
Some of the stories are PURE GENIUS -- "Masque Of The Red Death" my personal favorite -- and other ones not so much.

There are so many "Tales Of Edgar Allan Poe" books that I'm going to list the stories that are in the book I read because I know at some point in the future I'm going to be coming back and wondering, "Did I ever read such-and-such story?"

Karen Taylor
Who can forget that beating heart?'
Damon
This book is decent ... I read the English edition... They only thing lacking is his amazing collection of poems... this was a poet who was very deep and dark at times but the short stories only show his lighter side.. But great work to say the least..
Kmkoppy
Superb description. Sometimes he gets carried away with detail! I didn't realize he wrote such a variety of topics. His obsession with being buried alive shows up throughout the book. It was good to read the variety of stories, but I'm glad I'm done.
Andrew Wright
I loved these in middle school. Now, if I were faced with having to teach these as serious works of literature, I feel like The Tell-Tale Heart is the only one up to the mark, but still deep down my favorite is probably Hobgoblin.
Amy
This remains one of the most horrific collection of tales ever - and the creepy illustration on the front of a skeleton with glowing red eyes and a black hood definitely helps the ambiance. Great illustrations in the book as well.
Jaymi Boswell
Mar 22, 2008 Jaymi Boswell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jaymi by: Jorgie pie.
Shelves: fiction
Jorge bought this for me my first birthday I had after meeting him. It's the most beautiful leather bound book ever. Poe was my first favorite author. I love his poetry and stories. I get butterflies remembering all of his tales.
  • The Canterville Ghost and Other Stories
  • The Watchers Out of Time
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • Henry VI (Parts I, II and III)
  • Curtain & The Mysterious Affairs at Styles
  • Niesamowity Dwór
  • Friends
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz; The Marvelous Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz - Book 1
  • The Death Committee
  • Viagens Na Minha Terra (Classicos da Literatura Portuguesa)
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado