Start by marking “The Hard Way (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Hard Way (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #9)

The Hard Way (Rachel Alexander & Dash #9)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A lifelong New Yorker, Rachel Alexander has seen her city change shape through the years. But while New York has never been cleaner and crime is rapidly in decline, a vestige of grittier days remains. When wealthy business owner Eleanor Redstone approaches Rachel to ask if she can investigate her father's murder—a brutal slaying that occurred when he was pushed onto the su ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by William Morrow (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hard Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hard Way

Gilek
firstly, it wasn't "bad". just wasn't my thing. so I can't give it three stars as that would be saying "i liked it". this reminds me that I shouldn't decide to not read a book simply due to a low online star rating. it was like an episode of Cold Case or Without A Trace, the tv shows. I didn't feel any satisfaction from it, or that I was benefiting from it re wisdom...also the message seemed to be that we should all throw aside our own selfish dreams and not pursue them until everyone else has a ...more
George
Oct 27, 2007 George rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
Set in contemporary New York City, mystery involves a woman, Rachel Alexander, and her pet bull Dashiel who is hired by a woman to discover who murdered her father. Story involves Rachel's efforts to track down who did it spending part of her time as a homeless person. Story bogged down for me in those homeless parts, but moved along nicely during the Rachael sections.
Paula
A Mystery, not so compelling but a quick read, that gives brief perspectives on the fashion industry. It also introduces the reader to the life of the less fortunate and how they are spurned for their misfortune... the wealthy vs. the wealthless, yes the wealthless... walk a mile in their shoes... The mystery is solved by careful analysis of the crime scene spectators.
Anna
I would have given this book 4 stars, because I like this author, but it was too politically correct for me. The homeless are only on the streets because of evil, greedy corporations, and even the murder is committed because of a greedy business owner.
Jolene
A good quick read. Several layers of mystery. Characters from both the very rich and the homeless which makes an interesting contrast as a side story.
Pamela
Who pushed Gardner Redstone in the subway? - A Rachel Alexander mystery - great book - makes me want to fend other "Rachel Alexander" books.
Glennie
Rather sad, but an enjoyable read. I love the dog,, and his scene with the boy were great.
Judy
Easy read... female PI with Dash, her dog, as her sidekick!
Nancy
Grabbed this because it sounded interesting and it was.
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jonquil
Jonquil marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Luvpoodlez
Luvpoodlez marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Lisa Tammy
Lisa Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Susie
Susie added it
Dec 23, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Angela
Angela added it
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A noted dog trainer and former detective, Carol Lea Benjamin is the author of books on canine behavior and training as well as the Rachel Alexander and Dash mystery series. She has been honored by the International Association of Canine Professionals with her election to their Hall of Fame. Ms. Benjamin lives in Greenwich Village with her husband and their dogs.
More about Carol Lea Benjamin...

Rachel Alexander & Dash (9 books)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)
  • The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5)
  • The Long Good Boy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #6)
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1) The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2) Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5) A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)