Start by marking “The Dead Man in Indian Creek” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,157 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
At the same time that Matt and Parker find the body of the dead man in the creek, they recognize George Evans, the owner of the antique shop where Parker's mother works.
Published November 16th 2009 by Clarion Books (first published March 26th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Man in Indian Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Man in Indian Creek

Rio
Mar 23, 2011 Rio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: eney one
Recommended to Rio by: my teacher
The reason that i chose this book is because it sondid intersetin witch it was. This book is an ok book. It is an easy read it only took me a week to read the book. The setting of the book takes place in a small town and in the woods. The main characters are Parker Pettengill and Matt Armentrout they are to best frisnd and do a lot to gethere. The plot of the book is that the two kids are tring to figer out who killed the man in the creek because he looks fermilure. so they folow Parkers moms bo ...more
Jessica Guerrero
Mar 09, 2015 Jessica Guerrero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like mystery books? If so than this is the book for you. The genre of this book is mystery. The Dead man in Indian creek has a lot of horrifying details that will leave you breathless. ***Spoiler alert*** Parker s mom boyfriend helped kill the man that appeared at the Indian creek!

The setting of this book is in a town called Woodcroft. The dead man in Indian creek is about two boys named Parker and Mathew and Mathews dog Otis. One day Parker and Mathew were hanging out and Mathew wants
Imari
Apr 29, 2015 Imari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever as a child like to go exploring and camping with your best friend? As a kid everyone did but the two best friends, Matt and Parker in the book called "The Dead Man in Indian Creek," stopped going because they were afraid. Afraid of getting murdered. Dun, Dun, Dun! Ok, So my overall opinion about this book is that I really enjoyed it. I was fascinated from how the author wrote it. I would describe this book as Mystery because the characters had to play detective and find clues. One t ...more
Myles
Sep 28, 2011 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First just let me say--how incredibly ugly is this edition's cover? The faces look like melted wax sculptures.

Hahn writes what I can only describe as a great juvenile crime thriller, complete with a (unrequited) love triangle, drug rings, late-night chases through dark streets and teenagers drinking up by the old quarry...well maybe that last bit is unique to the juvenile branch. After the discovery of the body, the story builds up really fast and Matt and Parker come face to face with a dangero
Jake
Oct 08, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason i choose to read this book is because it sounded interesting i like books that have mysterys in them and this book did. This book is a relistic fiction. This book takes place in the present day in a smaller town. The main characters are Parker and Matthew. Parker is a skinny kid who is very active with blond hair. He is also very nosy and what's to know everything that is going on. Matthew is a chunkier kid but he still can keep up with Parker and he is always really carefull. Parker ...more
Gabby Lambert
The Dead Man in Indian Creek

If you like a page turning book, then you should read The Dead Man in Indian Creek by Mary Downing Hahn. The book is about two boys named Parker and Matthew, who are best friends. On a hot summer day, Parker convinces Matt and his dog Otis to go on a camping trip with him by Indian Creek, as a last hurrah before summer ends. They bike there for eight miles and spend the night. The next morning, they go by Indian Creek to watch a blue heron and Otis starts jumping aro
Erin
There were so many things I didn't like about this book, but to be fair, I will start with the things I did like:

-The writing style was perfect. I could not stop reading it, which is strange because I didn't even like the storyline.
-The characters were very relatable, and I like how the main character was a little chubby instead of your typical skinny, daring, adventurous kid.
-It dealt with real issues, such as a kid struggling with the prospect of a potential new step-father

Alright I have fille
Jazal
Feb 04, 2015 Jazal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because my fiancé said this is his favorite book from his childhood. And he isn't exactly an avid reader so I thought there must be something intriguing about it if he said he loved it and still has the library's copy in his closet.

This book is a middle grade mystery about two friends who are camping and find a dead body in a creek. Surprisingly for a middle grade book, it involved a lot of adult concepts like drug dealing, affairs, and murder. But overall it was a fast-pa
Robert Mayo
Apr 11, 2016 Robert Mayo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gh
In this story, the boys strengths and weakness because are very balanced through this story because ever since they seen the dead body they been scared and its hard for them to talk about it to the reports and all those people who tried to get information from them. When they saw Evans looking down on the old man on the bridge that made them even more scared and scared of him so now they think he killed the old man. There speaking habits are believable because the way they were explaning things ...more
Jackie
Best friends, Matt and Parker, live in very different households...Matt, with his mom and dad who watch over him constantly and a little annoying sister, Charity, and Parker who lives with his beautiful, widowed, young mom, Pam who hardly knows what he's doing half the time. Pam, loves Parker, but loves her life too. She starts dating her rich, older boss and things really begin to change.

Matt and Parker decide to camp out one weekend before the weather turns colder, but much to their horror th
Michael Montgomery
This book was great fiction for me! Most of the time I read fantasy or Sci-fi books, and usually the things in those books don't exsist, so it's good for me to read a realistic adventure somtimes. The title may sound weird, but this book was certainly a page-turner. And since anything in this book coul've happened and probably did happen at one point in history, it makes the suspense even better! Great adventure and mystery!
Krista Stevens
Good mystery - especially for younger readers. Matt and Parker are great characters - believable and real. How they think about trying to find out what is really happening with Parker's mom and her boss sounds like many kids this age. Not too gruesome, but it is action packed.

What I wish...
Matt's parents are a little weak - they would NOT let their child go trick or treating with a murderer still lose and they are far too easy with Matt's sister, who has no redeeming qualities at all.

The ending
Jaycee Dixon
Nov 11, 2014 Jaycee Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very good! I have read a couple of Mary Downing Hahn's books and I have loved every single one of them. This book really caught my attention and it was difficult for me to put it down. It was very thrilling and I was excited to pick it up and read it. I think this book would be fun to read out loud to a class but I would definitely read it to an older grade level. It had some pretty controversial things within and I don't think younger children should quite be exposed to ...more
Zoë
Phew. So I guess there are still some Mary Downing Hahn books I like after all. So glad my bad experience with Stepping on the Cracks didn’t repeat with this one. Maybe I should just focus on her mystery and/or ghost stories instead? Those are the ones I mostly read anyway as a kid.

The mystery in this was fun, albeit a little far-fetched at times, but overall it was a quick entertaining read, and good for Fall/October/Halloween time too. There were nerve-wracking moments in it too that kept you
Shaundell
Murphy L
Oct 23, 2009 Murphy L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Rachel's Book Reviews
Dead Man in Indian Creek
By Mary Downing Hahn

“While camping near Indian Creek, Matt and his best friend, Parker, get up early to see if they can spot a blue heron. Instead, they find the body of a dead man floating in the clear water.
Parker is sure that George Evans, the smooth-talking antiques dealer who is dating his mother, must somehow be connected to the dead man, but matt isn’t so sure. But then, on Halloween night, while snooping around Evan’s antiques shop, the boys make another shocking
Ashley Lahr
This book is about Parker and Matt who are friends and Parker's dog Otis. While camping they discover a dead body. Parker makes accusations about his mothers new boyfriend being the murderer. While playing detective they open a big can of worms. Turns out in Evans antique shop they have been hiding cocaine in the glass dolls. The boys get themselves into trouble and get themselves caught but Otis saves them. In the end Evans and his associate for sure get jail time and Pam may get a few years.
Tahbata
Feb 22, 2015 Tahbata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book started off very nice, I like to say that it went right to the point. The plot thickened just as her book always do. I glad to say that if you are looking for a book to pass time with and have fun with then this is the book. I liked the part where they are kidnapped(SPOILER ALERT!) and the dog, forgot his name, saves the boys and the mother gets kidnapped again. I would have liked it if the story continued because I have questions about what happens next. Overall I enjoyed it.
Gordy Lindsay
This story is about two boys named Parker and Matt, and when they went camping near Indian Creek, they found a deadman. The two boys decided to go on an investigation on this dead man. Parker's mom's cheesy boyfriend, Evans was there at the scene, but there's no solid proof. When they went spying and following Parker's mom and Evans, they found something they could never bear. I recommend this book to people who are in to mystery and suspense, because that's what this story is.
Jayson
May 17, 2016 Jayson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5th-grade-reads
I let three of my boys choose this book to read with me; the back of the book proclaims it an "ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers". It's a murder mystery/my-step-dad-might-be-a-murderer book. It's fast paced but devoid of any rich author's choices to discuss. I used it to practice locating evidence (it is, after all, a mystery) and to talk about how the main characters' relationship develops as pseudo brothers.
Claudia
This is a straight-forward mystery with no supernatural elements...so I just didn't love it as much as her signature books...Parker and Matt find a dead body which leads them to a dangerous mystery that involves Parker's own mother.

Fast-paced, ripped from the headlines kind of book.

I'm sure kids who love mysteries will enjoy this. Just not as deep as others
Jp992751
Apr 07, 2014 Jp992751 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When thinking of books that got me through my preteen year Dead Man in Indian Creek is one of my fondest memories. Granted it isn't a piece of classic literature but it was a book that will always hold nostalgic value as many late nights on the edge of my bed with my little lamp giving me light were spent reading this fun little romp through teenage joy and conflict.
Arismendy
Sep 24, 2014 Arismendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I think about it that you can relate a lot a thing to it. A trouble childhood lost his Dad then his mom is seeing guy and he put her in a drug related thing and the mom is making alots of money and she barely spend time with her son always hanging out. When it got to the end the cop were after them and the mother didn't want to be apart of it no more and they end up crashing and the mother break her leg.
Jake Benson
This book is called The Dead Man In Indian Creek. Written by Mary Downing Hahn.This book is in the mystery genre. This book fits weel in this genre because there is people looking for the dead man and they use clues and such during the hunt.I belive this books intended audience is ment for someone that genrally reads books, I feel this way because I feel like could not concentrate very well during this book.Some personal experiences i have to this book is playing the game grave yard with friends ...more
Mrs. Carey
Apr 09, 2015 Mrs. Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jkes-library
This book is a murder mystery. After reading many other books my Mary Downing Hahn, I expected there to be a ghost in this book; however, there are no ghosts in this story. I enjoyed reading this book. The ending is pretty exciting and involves a lot of the characters as they finally unravel the entire mystery.
Eli Parise
Jun 10, 2014 Eli Parise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave The Dead Man in Indian Creek by Mary Downing Hahn 5 out of 5 because it is the kind of book that is a non-put down book. i got the book when i was in Boston with my grandma and i couldn't put it down. I ended up finishing it that day. That's how good it was.i liked this book because if you like crime and suspense, than you would really like this book. there was nothing that i didn't like about this book. IT WAS GREAT!!!
Katrina Carroll
Jan 27, 2015 Katrina Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great mystery book and will leave you wondering what is going to happen next every time you put the book down. Help two friends solve the mystery of why they found a dead man in indian creek.
Cory
Mar 31, 2014 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
The Dead Man in Indian Creek is an amazing thriller that will tease the minds of inquisitive children. I liked the story for its thrilling value. Its has a clear bad guy and its a fun mystery type novel.
Jennifer Lavoie
A faster read than the other Mary Downing Hahn books I've read recently, but not as interesting to me. In this one, it was almost predictable who the bad guy was and what would happen, but the pacing was fast and interesting. By the end, I was getting nervous for the boys, despite knowing it would turn out all right. Otis was a great character, even as a dog, and I didn't think about the hints left through the book on how he followed Parker everywhere.

There are some more mature themes and ideas
  • Weasel
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Hanging Hill (Haunted Mystery, #2)
  • Nightmare Mountain
  • The Ghosts of Mercy Manor
  • Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story
  • Farewell, My Lunchbag
  • Someone Was Watching
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • Edison’s Gold
  • The Dragon Turn (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Windcatcher
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • Please Don't Eat the Children (Secrets of Dripping Fang, #7)
  • Eyes of a Stranger
  • In the Middle of the Night: The Shocking True Story of a Family Killed in Cold Blood
  • Disillusioned (Stan Turner, #9)
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...

“You look back on some little decision you made and realize all the things that happened because of it, and you think to yourself "if only I'd known," but, of course, you couldn't have known.” 125 likes