Start by marking “Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)

Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,330 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The prophecies are coming true and the ancient race of the Kantri-or true dragons-have come back to the world of Men. It was through the actions of Young Lanen Kaelar that the Kantri were reminded of the larger world. It was bravery (and a mad belief in the old tales) that caused the young woman to start a perilous journey to find the great dragons of legend. In doing so, ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Redeeming the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redeeming the Lost

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
227th out of 1,025 books — 1,985 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher Paolini
98th out of 314 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Hazel M Bear
May 28, 2014 Hazel M Bear rated it really liked it
Finished this awesome series, finally. Overall, it was fun and romantic, and I only have small problems with it.

For being the end of the trilogy, it seemed to wrap up everything fairly nicely. While I wonder about certain characters, such as what happened to the young mercenary who quit while he was ahead, and any deals made with the Silent Service for horses, the big stuff was pretty resolved. I enjoyed how the few main characters were not only continually developed, but the newer side characte
I did like the overall journey, but the first person/ past tense "journal" style of these books never did become less awkward to read (especially because it involves multiple POV), the villains were all idiots, the protagonists all broke out in to painfully whiny angst given half a chance, and the ending was a sickening sweet Happily Ever After that managed to gloss over the years afterwards and yet disappointingly failed to mention any major consequences or outcomes. (view spoiler) ...more
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Jun 07, 2010 Caitlin (Ayashi) rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was a little strange picking up this book after perhaps two years. I read the first when I was in high school (soon after it came out), then finally read the second just a couple of years ago.

It was a little difficult to get into at first, I think probably due to the fact that it really seems that book 2 and 3 were meant to be one long novel instead of two separate ones. It took a while to get back into the swing of things. I would definitely recommend to anyone who may be thinking of reading
Jeffrey Grant
Apr 17, 2013 Jeffrey Grant rated it really liked it
Like the previous book in the series, this one was good but held few surprises. You don't read this one to find out what's going to happen; it follows standard tropes and character arcs to the T. So the enjoyment is realized from reading how all these things come to pass.
Fortunately Kerner writes well and is particularly good at creating and maintaining believable character interaction. All of the relationships in the story make sense and people behave true to their characters, with no one sudd
Oct 27, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it
Finally. I've waited no few years for the conclusion to the trilogy. I didn't bother to reread the first two, but I managed to keep up admirably well. The weaknesses I saw were mostly weaknesses in the prior books as well; namely the shifting first person point of view. Although it did give a lot of insight into characters, it also frustrated me to keep flipping back to remember whose head I was in this page. Many of the characters just weren't distinguishable enough by voice alone. I was rather ...more
Caitlin Bartnik
Feb 20, 2016 Caitlin Bartnik added it
Recommends it for: people who like dragons
I'm not sure if anyone else experiences the need to read books about dragons on a regular basis, but I love dragon books and had gone too long without one.
I broke my usual rule of reading books in order because I picked this up at a used bookstore without checking to see if it was part of the series. Oops! I may have missed a few connections because of that, but I still enjoyed the story and the characters.
I love the world Kerner created and her dragon fighting and flying descriptions are great!
Jul 18, 2016 Zeal rated it it was amazing
I read this trilogy for the second time, and as I couldn't remember much past the first book from my previous reading, here's my full review:

Amazing plot. The number of twists in these books, especially the last one, is astounding. You can never guess what happens next, and that makes this trilogy so interesting.

The characters are extremely well-made, they aren't your typical run-of-the-mill kind. You can't group these characters into categories, they each are so three-dimensional. By the end of
Yogesh Jain
Feb 16, 2016 Yogesh Jain rated it it was amazing
The books rarely reach the masterpiece for me even when I do selective reading of the books. This book would have made it to that if not the evil was shown a little weak. The demon of this book was weak and truly easy to defeat. I would have enjoyed it more if the despair of battle was little more.

Maybe the author wanted to keep the creator as the most powerful and that is true as always so maybe it isn't a drawback but it can't be a masterpiece for me though.

The most important thing about thi
Aug 25, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I wonder if I might have enjoyed this more, had it not been years since I finished the second book in the set. I came back to it remembering the ending of the second book, and how annoyed I'd been that it was a cliffhanger. I remembered there were dragons and magic. That was about it.
It was good, and I thought her first few chapters caught me up beautifully on the events of the first two books in the series. I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with Vilkas, but even he didn't seem to know so
May 25, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
All in all it was a good book that was hard to put down. The end disappointed me with Shikrar dying. I was hoping that Idai and him would either get together or die together, ending Idai's broken heart for Akor. She now has no hope for love in the future. I was guessing ever since Akor first turned into a man that a time would come where he could shapeshift at will... which is great... but i thought Lanen would be too. :\
There should have been a map as well like there was in the first book.
Aug 23, 2014 mirba rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Book ending. Don't know if I'm much happy with it. It is quite stupid and not so interesting. The only thing that kept me going till the end is the stupid desire that she also would be able to change in a dragon.

Only thing that is really good in this book is the final battle. It's epic and very well written. Intelligent, difficult and well fought.
Dr susan
Jun 07, 2015 Dr susan rated it really liked it
Redeeming the Lost is the final book in Lanen's trilogy. I noticed this book had some annoying repetition of plot points, as if the author thought the reader could not remember something that occurred three chapters before. The world building remained solid, and the dragons remained awesome. I enjoyed reading this solid fantasy.
Apr 09, 2016 Mj rated it liked it
Well written, great story and characters.
Erica (daydreamer)
Jan 29, 2010 Erica (daydreamer) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dragon lovers
Recommended to Erica (daydreamer) by: Three of my sisters
Shelves: 2010-reads, dragons, adult
For some reason, I liked Redeeming the Lost a lot more than the first two. There was a lot more action in this one, and I got into it more. The ending was brilliant. I would have been so mad if it hadn't ended the way it did, but it ended perfect. Three of my sisters have read this series and they all love it. I can't share their enthusiasm. The first two books just didn't catch my attention, then I read this book, and I perked up; in my opinion it was the best of the three, but still, not amazi ...more
Dec 21, 2014 Keygan rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, books-i-own
A beautiful ending to the series. The imagery and emotional depth was amazing and gorgeous. The characters were wonderful (for the most part, I found the main character Lanen's attitude near the end a little selfish but still understandable). I wish that I could stay in this world longer, and know what comes next for the Kantri.
Apr 11, 2011 Chelsy rated it really liked it
This was a great conclusion to this series. It took me years to pick up all 3 books and the only thing I regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
I will say I shed a few tears but that is all I'm telling. If you like a good fantasy with love and dragons, you should probably be reading these books.
Feb 24, 2009 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Good and fun. I know why it took forever to get into book two, it's really like one 600 page book, not two separate books and of course a longer book has a longer set up. :) It was fun and I still like it after finishing it. :) Always a good sign. :)
Keziah Cannon
Nov 02, 2015 Keziah Cannon rated it it was amazing
This was probably my favorite of the series. Surprising to be sure, since sequels rarely match the first. It was very well-written. I laughed, I ached, I was enraptured by it.
Jun 04, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Recommended to Sarah by: Found in Bookstore
The final installment of the Lanen Kaelar series. A major battle between good and evil as well as smaller, personal battles that will decide the future of the world.
Jan 21, 2009 MarsianMan rated it really liked it
Conclusion to the series. I think the climax was a bit lame, but the epilogue was interesting even if it still left me with a few questions unanswered.
Ruth Kevghas
Feb 03, 2012 Ruth Kevghas rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This trilogy lost steam after the first book, the last one sort of redeemed it, but never captured my interest as much as the first.
Wow! Fast and furious ending, really good storyline, thoroughly enjoyed it! Tearjerker ending though, a bit hard on the heart.
Nov 10, 2012 momokaachan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Oh, this was such a good series! Not too short, not too long, great characters, wonderful world-building, excellent read!
Lyra Rose
Aug 12, 2009 Lyra Rose rated it really liked it
Find my review at
Oct 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
The ending was a bit contrived, but I enjoyed it.
Jul 24, 2009 Jamie rated it it was amazing
The best conclusion to a series I've ever read!
Mar 06, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Still left a lot of questions hanging.
Nov 15, 2013 Bonnie_blu rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
3.5 Stars.
Nov 21, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • The Book of Fire (Dragon Quartet, #3)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Delasangre, #2)
  • The Final Test (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #3)
  • The Ice Dragon (Dragon Knights, #3)
  • The Dragons of the Cuyahoga (Cleveland Portal #1)
  • The Secret of the Keepers (Kailmeyra Book 2)
  • The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Wizard of the Grove (Omnibus: Child of the Grove / The Last Wizard)
  • The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2)
Elizabeth Kerner (1958–) is a fantasy writer. She is the author of Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred, and Redeeming the Lost, the initial trilogy of a series based upon humans re-establishing contact with dragons, who fled mortal lands thousands of years ago for reasons unknown.

An American by birth, she moved to Scotland in 1976 to attend the University of St. Andrews. She obtained an MA (Ho
More about Elizabeth Kerner...

The Tale of Lanen Kaelar (3 books)
  • Song in the Silence (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #1)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)