Start by marking “The Burger and the Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
The Burger and the Hot Dog

The Burger and the Hot Dog

A burger and a hot dog
One day had a nasty spat.
The burger got insulted
'Cause the hot dog called him flat...

So what happened after that? Well, you'll have to look inside this book to find out. Because, you see, there is a whole world out there in which burgers, hot dogs, sticky buns, ice-cream bars, bologna, popcorn, and all sorts of other food folks exist together
Published October 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Burger and the Hot Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burger and the Hot Dog

Julia Jasztal
Feb 18, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 9/16/11 -

4.5 - I'm still very shocked that I enjoyed this as much as I did. I'm not looking at the book right now and I don't remember so I don't know if the fact that this is a book of poems instead of a story is on the cover but whether it is or not, I had no idea. It may be sad but I have to admit that had I known, I'd have passed this by without a second thought.
I'm not a fan of poetry for the most part and neither is Julia. Shorter (not too short though!) rhyming poems
Vicki Kier
Jun 06, 2011 Vicki Kier rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-the-child
Best taken in small bites, Aylesworth's book of food-based rhymes approaches sing-song-y monotony before the third or fourth poem. Foods from all groups are represented, but junk food takes the brunt of most of the longer, four-stanza poems. Gammell's "pencil, watercolor, pastel, crayon, and coffee" illustrations lend an oddly alluring grotesqueness throughout. Younger listeners may need help deciphering food puns and less well-known figures of speech in order to appreciate the humor in some of ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Poem Shared: Blueberries

Overall, I'm not a big fan of this book, but it fit a poetry need at the time. The other blueberry poem option was "Blueberries" by Robert Frost. Alas, that was way to long for my tiny tots at storytime. Jim Aylesworth's poem is only two little verses, so the length was perfect and the illustration by Stephen Gammell was simple. Gammell's other illustrations (rendered in colored, pencil, watercolor, pastel, crayon, and coffee) are a bit of a turnoff for me.

Theme: Blueberr
Reham
Mar 22, 2014 Reham rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetery
- The Burger and the Hot Dog by Jim Aylesworth

This book is awesome for children. It is presenting food in a very funny way and I think it will be appealing for children. The colors are very nice too. The fun tone of the poems is very interesting. This book is a good chance for a teacher to talk about healthy food choices and what is the right behavior when you get angry.
The one that I like is “The burger and The hot dog”

Apr 22, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This creepy poetic book of food is odd to say the least. It seems like a book that many boys would enjoy as well as some girl. The poetry shared in this book are easily modeled and would be great for writing workshops.
Brian Cave
Aug 06, 2016 Brian Cave rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poem, food
The only reason this book gets three stars from me is for the illustrations. The story is very weird, and somewhat creepy to me. There is some humor, but I just cant help of thinking about how a hot dog would go through living a everyday life as a human would. Just a very odd book overall.
Jenny
Mar 28, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is a fun rhyming book with a bunch of silly puns. It opens up discussion of things kids might not pick up on.
Jamie
Jun 02, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
A book of Punny poems. i thought the puns were funny and cute, but it was a little above my kids' heads
R.L.
Aug 26, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing
A cute poetry book centered around animated food. Stephen Gammell's illustrations are hilarious. The age old war between the burger and the hot dog is brought to life in funny rhyme.
Tricia
Nov 28, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Looking for a poem for the pickle storytime, I tumbled into this gem. Full of food poems and highlighted with amusing illustrations, this is a worthwhile choice for those who enjoy laughter!
Sarahjeanne
Jul 29, 2009 Sarahjeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340, poetry
Poetry: Interesting illustrations and punny poems about all kinds of food make this book very enjoyable to read. I even laughed out loud at a few of them.
Jeri
Nov 18, 2011 Jeri rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-poetry
The boys thought that this book was funny. There were some parts that I thought were a bit irreverant, but overall it was a book on poetry that boys enjoyed....Can you go wrong with that?
Lynne
Nov 23, 2013 Lynne rated it really liked it
Cute concept with a creepy spin. My son is almost 4 and he didn't understand any of the poems. The illustrations were great but a little creepy for little kids.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Sarah Hartman
Sarah Hartman rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Xiaobing Gong
Xiaobing Gong rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Elena
Elena rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Humble Travis
Humble Travis rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Emily Nabb Baker
Emily Nabb Baker rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Mallory Pearcy
Mallory Pearcy rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Jim Aylesworth was born in Jacksonville, Florida but as an infant moved from the state. He lived in many places during his childhood: Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas... but by the time Aylesworth was 15 his family had settled in Hinsdale, Illinois and that is where he graduated from high school in 1961.

In 1965, he graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with a B.A. in English.
More about Jim Aylesworth...