The Sword in the Stone

The Sword in the Stone

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here's another classic Disney story as Disney retells the magical story of "The Sword in the Stone".
Published by Mouse Works (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword in the Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword in the Stone

Manny
I must have seen this movie a dozen times - it was one of my children's favorites - but there's an Easter egg I missed until I was told about it yesterday on the TV Tropes Merlin Sickness page.

As people who have read the original book will know, Merlin lives his life backwards, remembering the future and only having vague ideas about the past. It is thus completely logical that he has tears in his eyes just after he meets Wart. From his point of view, he's never going to see him again.

How could...more
Natalie
As far as a Disney educational story is concerned, this one isn't too bad. Disney's The Sword in the Stone is not something I would like to see over and over again.

The movie was a couple of short little adventures and then there is this awesome fight between Merlin and Madam Mim which is the best part. But there are some things that are just meh in the story.

One of the just ok elements are the short adventures when Merlin and Arthur turn into animals, fish, squirrels, and a bird with Archimedes...more
Rita Bradley

I loved this book and it brings back memories of the film!

So exciting and adventurous! It's every child's dream to do something an adult can't and we follow the magical experience of Merlin who achieves this by pulling out the sparkling stone. There are lots of pictures and chants which immediately grabs the children's attention and makes them want to be a charismatic leader like the boy they read about. This book is funny, sad and full of life!
Liam Johnstone
All right. It was a Disney bookification from the movie. Kinda missed the (simplistic) points that the movie was trying to make during Arthur's education. But it's hard to put as much detail in a book as in a movie. No, wait... um
Julie
LOVE THIS BOOK! The fun tale of the under dog climbing above and becoming a king is a thrilling adventure. I love the use of magic in the story. The pictures really tell the story from a great view. You see him as a fish and other creatures. Children would love this book because of the sense of adventure, magic, and the happy ending. The pictures were my favorite part of this story!
John
Classic Disney version of the story of Arthur. My youngest loved this book. Personally... it was only ok... bit of an insipid version of the famous tale with too many created characters and situations that just seem out of place.
Dan
A children's edition of course, but when I was a kid I loved this book and the Disney movie, both great iterations of a classic story.
Amy Smith
My little brother (he's nearly 30) and I still talk about this book & the movie. The life lessons hold true to this day.
Alex
The heaven ordered this boy was a king Aurthur..Long live the king
Sandy
Oh the metaphors!!
Cws
OS-DIS
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Renee
Renee added it
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias "Walt" Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,...more
More about Walt Disney Company...
Dumbo: A Little Golden Book Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Little Golden Book) Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading) Bambi (Disney Bambi) Aladdin (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)