Start by marking “How Babies Are Made” as Want to Read:
How Babies Are Made

How Babies Are Made

Some children start asking questions about sex by the time they are three, and this book is designed to aid parents in their answers, without going into technical detail or being too graphic. The illustrations are accurate without being overly explicit.
Published September 30th 1984 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about How Babies Are Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Babies Are Made

The Baby Book by William SearsHow to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele FaberWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffThe Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey KarpThe No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley
Most Influential Parenting Books
143rd out of 280 books — 464 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Children's books I wish I read as a kid
168th out of 329 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
Apr 03, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is the book my mom handed us as kids to dispel any beliefs we may have had in the stork. I used to flip through the pages over and over again for years. The best part is that instead of drawings or photographs they use cut out pieces of paper formed to look like animals and people, then photographed.

It's actually very cool to look at and highly educational. :)
Kat
I'm rather surprised at how good this book is.

It only got 3 stars because it is pretty exclusively heterosexual and there's an undercurrent of single race couples. Yes, I know cocker spaniels don't have a race, but they come in lots of colors - just not in this book. Also, it has the "mom and dad must love each other" undercurrent as well. While I think all children should be born of love, I don't necessarily think that love has to be between the egg owner and the sperm owner.

The book starts o
Chad
Feb 27, 2016 Chad rated it it was amazing
This is a solid book. My son is 8 and when I feel like it's time for him, I'll likely have him read this one.
SilverdeThug
Feb 03, 2015 SilverdeThug rated it did not like it
I hated this book my mom made me read it. Just because it will help me in my future doesnt mean i would like it
Richard
Nov 30, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
Good book, great book art. The sculpted paper images are evocative of a gentler age.
Andrew
Feb 26, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
Successful at teaching about sex - in a Mister Rogers kind of way.
Ethan
Jan 25, 2016 Ethan rated it really liked it
This "educational" book is good for a few laughs.
HeavyReader
The illustrations in this book are so rad! They are made from cut out paper which was then photographed. So cool! My favorite, if I remember correctly is the rooster and the hen. The human illustration was not nearly as cool as it could have been.

I actually never saw this book as a child, only stumbled upon it as an adult. I don't know where my copy went. Maybe I sold it. I hope I got a lot of money for it.
Steven
Apr 26, 2011 Steven rated it it was amazing
It's simply the best of any and every book that's ever been written to teach 4-10 year olds the "basic facts of life. Magnificent. Brief, to the point, easy to understand text accompanies beautiful paper sculptue pix. Get it!
Jen Barker
Dec 29, 2012 Jen Barker rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I've used this book as the starting point to teach my young children about human intimacy. It really helps if they have been exposed to or watched videos of animals mating. Succinct and tasteful.
Amy
Sep 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My ultimate favorite from when I was little.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Fatima Murad
Fatima Murad marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Godzilla
Godzilla marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Gli
Gli added it
Apr 07, 2016
Jessica Quinn
Jessica Quinn marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Michelle Galati
Michelle Galati marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Postace
Postace marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Ana García de tejeda
Ana García de tejeda marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jocelyn Valenzuela
Jocelyn Valenzuela marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Zahra
Zahra marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
Jan 12, 2016
Jessica Salaam
Jessica Salaam marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Katie Stewart
Katie Stewart marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015