How Babies Are Made

How Babies Are Made

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Some children start asking questions about sex by the time they are three, and this book is designed to aid parents in their answers, without going into technical detail or being too graphic. The illustrations are accurate without being overly explicit.
Published September 30th 1984 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1968)

The Baby Book by William SearsWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffHow To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele FaberThe No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth PantleyNurtureShock by Po Bronson
Most Influential Parenting Books
105th out of 215 books — 316 voters
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Children's books I wish I read as a kid
138th out of 269 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
This is the book my mom handed us as kids to dispel any beliefs we may have had in the stork. I used to flip through the pages over and over again for years. The best part is that instead of drawings or photographs they use cut out pieces of paper formed to look like animals and people, then photographed.

It's actually very cool to look at and highly educational. :)
Kat
I'm rather surprised at how good this book is.

It only got 3 stars because it is pretty exclusively heterosexual and there's an undercurrent of single race couples. Yes, I know cocker spaniels don't have a race, but they come in lots of colors - just not in this book. Also, it has the "mom and dad must love each other" undercurrent as well. While I think all children should be born of love, I don't necessarily think that love has to be between the egg owner and the sperm owner.

The book starts o...more
Andrew
Successful at teaching about sex - in a Mister Rogers kind of way.
HeavyReader
The illustrations in this book are so rad! They are made from cut out paper which was then photographed. So cool! My favorite, if I remember correctly is the rooster and the hen. The human illustration was not nearly as cool as it could have been.

I actually never saw this book as a child, only stumbled upon it as an adult. I don't know where my copy went. Maybe I sold it. I hope I got a lot of money for it.
Steven
It's simply the best of any and every book that's ever been written to teach 4-10 year olds the "basic facts of life. Magnificent. Brief, to the point, easy to understand text accompanies beautiful paper sculptue pix. Get it!
Jen Barker
I've used this book as the starting point to teach my young children about human intimacy. It really helps if they have been exposed to or watched videos of animals mating. Succinct and tasteful.
Amy
My ultimate favorite from when I was little.
Aubrey
Aubrey is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2014
April Graham
April Graham marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jan 26, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Vanessa Ginez
Vanessa Ginez marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Margret Browne
Margret Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Kayelen
Kayelen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Akatnel
Akatnel marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013