Worshiping with the Church Fathers

Worshiping with the Church Fathers

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Christopher Hall invites us to accompany the fathers as they enter the sanctuary for worship and the chapel for prayer. He also takes us to the wilderness, where we learn from the early monastics as they draw close to God in their solitary discipline. The focus of this book is not liturgy but more broadly worship in its corporate and individual dimensions. We enter into th...more
Published November 25th 2009 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about Worshiping with the Church Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worshiping with the Church Fathers

David
Christopher Hall has done Christians a great service by providing readable, engaging, educational and inspiring works that shed light on the early church. First came Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers and then Learning Theology with the Church Fathers. Now comes this book, a look at the worship life of the early church.

The best thing about these books is they are approachable for any Christian interested in the history of the church. I could see pastors and teachers using these books in c...more
Wes A
Apr 22, 2014 Wes A is currently reading it
I'm having trouble getting into this book, but it has nothing to do with the material. Dr. Hall is an excellent writer who makes a connection with the Church's wider story extremely accessible. My problem is the absolutely terrible job the publisher did with the eBook conversion. Footnotes aren't hyperlinked, and the formatting is painful. Dr. Hall's work deserves better!
Laurin
This book is one of the best books I've read on prayer, the sacraments, and worship. Devotional while still being scholarly, minutes spent reading this book were not wasted. It made me reconsider how I am praying, worshiping, practicing the spiritual disciplines and again realize the depth of God's love for us and how that love continually transforms our lives.
Keith
Aug 06, 2011 Keith added it
A good overview on Early Church Fathers thoughts & practices concerning baptism, Eucharist, prayer, and sacred space (desert monks). i've been reading some of the ECF works as well. We Protestants often skip AD 100 - 1500 and begin with the Reformation. i'm finding that there is a lot to learn from the first 400yrs!
Yoby
A little on the educational college text side. I think I was looking for something more devotional. Great background on why we do some of the things we do, and the depth of their significance.
Drew Cottle
Drew Cottle marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
John Taylor
John Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Nathan Bryant
Nathan Bryant marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Joe Davis
Joe Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Mark Bray
Mark Bray marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Mar 30, 2014
Leanne
Leanne added it
Mar 23, 2014
Matthew Ainsley
Matthew Ainsley marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Ashraf N.
Ashraf N. marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Jesse Nietzer
Jesse Nietzer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Matthew Ng
Matthew Ng marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
CJ Pankey
CJ Pankey marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Christopher A. Hall (PhD, Drew University) is chancellor of Eastern University and dean of Palmer Theological Seminary in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, and has authored a number of books. He is an editor at large for Christianity Today and associate editor of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series.
More about Christopher A. Hall...
Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers: Focusing Concern and Action A Learning Theology with the Church Fathers: The Clarity of Scripture The Mystery of God: Theology for Knowing the Unknowable Does God Have a Future?: A Debate on Divine Providence Start a Career in Health and Safety