Start by marking “Worshiping with the Church Fathers” as Want to Read:
Worshiping with the Church Fathers

Worshiping with the Church Fathers

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Christopher Hall invites us to accompany the fathers as they enter the sanctuary for worship and the chapel for prayer. He also takes us to the wilderness, where we learn from the early monastics as they draw close to God in their solitary discipline. The focus of this book is not liturgy but more broadly worship in its corporate and individual dimensions. We enter into th ...more
Published December 25th 2009 by IVP Academic (first published November 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Worshiping with the Church Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worshiping with the Church Fathers

David
Christopher Hall has done Christians a great service by providing readable, engaging, educational and inspiring works that shed light on the early church. First came Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers and then Learning Theology with the Church Fathers. Now comes this book, a look at the worship life of the early church.

The best thing about these books is they are approachable for any Christian interested in the history of the church. I could see pastors and teachers using these books in c
Wes A
Apr 22, 2014 Wes A is currently reading it
I'm having trouble getting into this book, but it has nothing to do with the material. Dr. Hall is an excellent writer who makes a connection with the Church's wider story extremely accessible. My problem is the absolutely terrible job the publisher did with the eBook conversion. Footnotes aren't hyperlinked, and the formatting is painful. Dr. Hall's work deserves better!
Laurin
Dec 07, 2015 Laurin rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best books I've read on prayer, the sacraments, and worship. Devotional while still being scholarly, minutes spent reading this book were not wasted. It made me reconsider how I am praying, worshiping, practicing the spiritual disciplines and again realize the depth of God's love for us and how that love continually transforms our lives.
K B
Jul 06, 2015 K B rated it really liked it
thought-provoking -- good resources for further reading
Keith
Aug 06, 2011 Keith added it
A good overview on Early Church Fathers thoughts & practices concerning baptism, Eucharist, prayer, and sacred space (desert monks). i've been reading some of the ECF works as well. We Protestants often skip AD 100 - 1500 and begin with the Reformation. i'm finding that there is a lot to learn from the first 400yrs!
Yoby
Oct 14, 2010 Yoby rated it really liked it
A little on the educational college text side. I think I was looking for something more devotional. Great background on why we do some of the things we do, and the depth of their significance.
Matt Lacey
Matt Lacey marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Joe Johnson
Joe Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Kevin Williams
Kevin Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Hilary Ritchie
Hilary Ritchie rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Jason Hudak
Jason Hudak marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Gradon Schaub
Gradon Schaub is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Anthony Kern
Anthony Kern is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2016
Dawn Chaudoin
Dawn Chaudoin rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Brent Neely
Brent Neely is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
Ruth Erickson
Ruth Erickson rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Ben Williams
Ben Williams rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Gary Shogren
Gary Shogren rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Kevin Lara
Kevin Lara marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
James Forbes
James Forbes marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Mon Bastê
Mon Bastê marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Joe Foltz
Joe Foltz marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Rusty
Rusty rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Phil Rushton
Phil Rushton rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
David Hoffman
David Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Jesse Slimak
Jesse Slimak marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Christopher A. Hall (PhD, Drew University) is chancellor of Eastern University and dean of Palmer Theological Seminary in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, and has authored a number of books. He is an editor at large for Christianity Today and associate editor of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series.
More about Christopher A. Hall...