Start by marking “Angela and the Baby Jesus: (Children's Edition)” as Want to Read:
Angela and the Baby Jesus: (Children's Edition)

Angela and the Baby Jesus: (Children's Edition)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  94 reviews
"When my mother, Angela, was six years old, she felt sorry for the Baby Jesus in the Christmas crib...."

Frank McCourt's first Christmas book is by turns tender and heartwarming, and wholly unforgettable. Angela is six years old and worries for the Baby Jesus on the altar of St. Joseph's Church near School House Lane in Limerick, Ireland, where she lives. December nights

Hardcover, Children's Edition, 32 pages
Published November 6th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (first published December 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Angela and the Baby Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angela and the Baby Jesus

K.D. Absolutely
Riding on the popularity of his Pulitzer award-winning book, Angela's Ashes, two years before his death, Frank McCourt (1930-2009) wrote this book, Angela and the Baby Jesus. According to Wiki, this is based on his mother's story when the latter was a small girl in Limerick, Ireland.

The book is an easy 15-minute read. It is about a girl who thinks that the statue infant in the manger of their church is real. Since it is cold in Ireland in December and she, the dirt poor girl, feels cold, she th
Chip
I picked this up the day Frank McCourt died, but couldn't read it until today. Having read all of McCourt's other books, I've been saving it for the right moment, and for some reason it felt like the right moment just now. Reading it felt like getting one last Christmas present from a much-loved uncle.

Delightful book. It is Frank, at his tender best. The artwork is fabulous. To think there were a million other wonderful stories inside him, and now they're all gone. I miss 'im.

I know this sounds
Cindi
This story was based on a true story about the author's mother. I liked the family interaction in this book and enjoyed the sweetness of the little children. Angela's brother is willing to go to jail for her (she stole the baby Jesus out of the nativity because she thought he was cold) because he loves Baby Jesus and he loves his sister. Too sweet! There were also some really funny lines that we all laughed about.

The illustrations were unique and very beautiful!
Virginia
A wonderful book about Frank McCourt's mother who, as a little girl, worried that the baby Jesus was cold in the manger at church. So she sneaks him home. The book is also, tangentially but quite touchingly, about her intellectually disabled brother.

The illustration of the baby Jesus flying over the garden wall is quite something to behold. A great gift for children (and Godchildren).
Mary
Story about THE Angela of Angela's Ashes.
I wish Frank McCourt had penned more children's books before he died, this one is a treasure, and has brought the word "whingeing" into our verbage.
Rosa Cline
This story is beautifully written Christmas story about the compassion that a 6 year old little girl had on the statue of Baby Jesus. The love and caring she felt toward him knowing he was out in the cold; she wanted to take care of him and keep him warm. So although she knows it's wrong to 'steal' she slips out of her home and hides out in the confessional at the church until she knows no one is around and she takes Baby Jesus home. Her little brother sees her bring him in but no one believes h ...more
Leah
"Angela" is Angela of Frank McCourt's award-winning Angela's Ashes. There are two versions illustrated by different artists of this true adventure McCourt's mother had as a little girl in Limerick, Ireland―one for adults, another for kids; I have the young(er) readers' edition.

The Sheehans would have been a traditionally religious working class family in turn-of-the-twentieth-century Catholic Ireland; Angela has learned their practices of piety, church, and caring for others―her distress about b
Kirsten
This book should be read with an irish accent, which I do not have but try to imagine. It carries a similar theme (I think) to the author's pulitzer prize winning novel Angela's Ashes, that being that it is a story from a poor life in Ireland. It tells of a small girl's plight to get the church nativity's baby Jesus warm. I found its tongue-in-cheek humor charming though it would be easy for a child to miss it and get the wrong interpretation of the story. Children with more literary aptitude wi ...more
Catherine
This sweet Christmas story is about the author's mother when she was child. The pictures are well done and the story in cute.
Kim Williams
Nov 13, 2007 Kim Williams rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: current-works
This is a charming little book and it was so wonderful to have the opportunity to hear Mr. Frank McCourt himself read a good part of it. It's a story his mother used to tell and it's not just for the faithful. It's actually quite an amusing tal. Little Angela frets over the figure of the baby Jesus in front of the church not being covered in something warm. Obviously a quick read as it is primarily marketed to a juvenile audience, but it's worth it if you're a grown up in need of a little holida ...more
Dale
This is a really funny book (and touching) To really get the whole kick, read it out loud to the special little ones in your family with an Irish brogue. I guarantee that any nearby adult will also be laughing. And I don't think it's at all irreverent. You may want to change a few lines as you read, I don't know. For instance, the mother says that to lie in the presence of the Baby Jesus "it's worse than any sin in the World."
Kathy
Angela and the Baby Jesus is a sweet story written with good old Irish humor. Six year old Angela is troubled baby Jesus will be cold lying in the mangage at St. Joseph's Catholic Church; so she takes baby Jesus home with her and hides him in her bed to keep warm. Once the parish priest realizes the baby Jesus is missing the police get involved. This delightful story will put a smile on your face no matter what season it is.
Judy
This is such a great holiday book with such an endearing story. I love reading this every holiday season. Frank McCourt relates a story from his mother's childhood where she saw a nativity scene in their local church, and, thinking the baby Jesus would get cold, decides to take him home to keep him warm. If you're not religious, obviously this story will not appeal to you, but if you are, this is just a sweet story.
Melanie
This is a must-read for Christmas! It is great fun to read aloud, especially if you can pull off an Irish accent! Who can resist the story of little Angela who steals the baby Jesus from the nativity display in St. Joseph's church? She only wants to warm him up, and if he'll cooperate she'll let him rest in her bed. This book is the perfect balance of sweet and funny. Your teenagers and maybe even your husband will listen!
Dec 01, 2010 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love collecting Christmas books, and I especially love it when they make me cry (although my family won't agree with the last sentiment!). I checked out this Frank McCourt Christmas book from the library and am putting it on my Christmas to buy list! "Angela and the Baby Jesus" is a beautiful story which I'm assuming is a true account about McCourt's mother. Now I want to read "Angela's Ashes"!
Beth
Sweet little Angela steals the baby Jesus to take him home and keep him warm. The whole family becomes entangled in the escapade to return the babe to the Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, the nice shepherds with their lambs and the three kings with their presents. Beautifully illustrated and candidly told, this true Christmas story warmed my heart. Children and adults will enjoy this sweet tale.
Stephanie
If you've never read Angela's Ashes, this will make you wonder what you've been missing. It's a children's picture book--a great glimpse of the McCourt style. Did I say it's hilarious? It's painfully funny. The sort of book you'd want your family to read every Christmas, as a tradition. MUST be read aloud with an Irish accent.
Lee-Anne
I loved the tenderness of this story, and the realistic portrayal of Angela's poverty. McCourt captures the thought process of the little girl as she first takes the Baby Jesus home, and, worried that he would be cold. The tenderness of the adults, especially the policeman and priest, are especially poignant. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Paula
Cute story, quick read. Not sure how the "adult" version differs from the "children's" version yet (as I'm still waiting to get that copy), but the book is total, typical McCourt. The pictures were a little dark and not as expressive as I'd have liked, but I'm sure that will be the main difference between the two editions that were released.
Carrie
This sweet tale reminds us that a story can happen anytime and anywhere...of course it helps if Pulizer Prize winner Frank McCourt is the person recalling the tale. This story is heartwarming and a bit bittersweet. Angela cannot think of letting the poor baby Jesus sleep out in the cold. The illustrations in this version are fitting.
Kathleen Payne
Delightful read! Years ago my girlfriends and I saw Frank McCourt in Chico, CA at the college theatre. He was a delightful speaker and quite funny. I saw this book at the local 99 cent store and picked up several copies to give to these same girlfriends for Christmas this year. Shh... don't tell Nancy, Sue, Ruth, Robbie...
Shirleen
Children's Christmas book given to me Dec 2008. I was surprised and pleased to discover that this is a true story of the author's mother's experience growing up in Ireland. This made it even more endearing to me.

The pictures in the book are darling. I'm drawn to the sweet faces of the characters, especially Angela's.
Heather
An excerpt from Pulitzer Prize winning book by Irish author Frank McCourt: 'Angela's Ashes'. Frank McCourt's book actually won the PP for autobiography/biography, but he is a favorite author of faculty in the ED Dept. for his educational perspectives.

This is a really beautiful Christmas story-- get out the kleenex.
Burt
The late Frank McCourt is best known for his book Angela's Ashes, a bittersweet autobiography of his childhood in America and then back to Ireland. This current work is Frank's dabble into the realm of Christmas literature. As such, it is very short and very touching. I'm working on a Latin translation for my students.
Paula
Basically the same as the "adult" version except for a couple passages. What differs significantly, however, is that these pictures are bright and beautiful. My only concern is that there are some pages full of text and others with very little at all, which, I think, is a bit of a flaw for a children's book.
Brenna Call
6 year old Angela fears that the baby Jesus laying in the nativity scene at the St. Josephs Church will become cold so she decides to take him home with her to keep him warm. This story really captures a child’s logic with warmth and humor. I enjoyed the story immensely and the pictures were wonderful.
Kate
This was a really quick read, as it was a children's book. That said, it packs a powerful punch. Angela is concerned that the Baby Jesus in her village's Nativity scene is cold, and wants to make sure He is warm. What follows is an enchanting story of the real meaning of Christmas, and love!
(4.5 stars)
Suzie Fullmer
This book is the perfect gift. It's very short and to the point with a beautiful message. It is a true experience from the author's family history which just adds to the effect of the book. The story is so sweet and the last page always makes me teary.
Teri
I read the edition illstrated by loreen long and it was not great. Not enough illustrations. Maybe this version would be better but it wasn't available at my library. Also lot's of "Mother o' God" which I don't appreciate.
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale
  • A Very Marley Christmas
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
Francis "Frank" McCourt was an Irish-American teacher and author. McCourt was born in Brooklyn; however, his family returned to their native Ireland in 1934.

He received the Pulitzer Prize (1997) and National Book Critics Circle Award (1996) for his memoir Angela's Ashes (1996), which details his childhood as a poor Irish Catholic in Limerick. He is also the author of 'Tis (1999), which continues t
More about Frank McCourt...
Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt, #1) 'Tis (Frank McCourt, #2) Teacher Man The Angela's Ashes/'Tis Boxed Set Angela's Ashes/'Tis/Teacher Man