Start by marking “Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire: A Novel

Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire: A Novel

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this follow-up to God Clobbers Us All, Edgar Donahoe is back for another misguided adventure. When Edgar is expelled from college, he accepts his pal Mountain Moses’ offer to come to a Caribbean island. Once there, Edgar cooks at the local tourist resort and falls in love with Mountain’s girl, Kate. Embroiled in a dangerous love triangle and stalked by a mysterious loca ...more
Published May 15th 2006 by Hawthorne Books

To ask other readers questions about Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire

Debbie
The book that would have changed my life had I not read if after already getting caught in a love triangle while cooking at a Caribbean tourist trap.
Victoria
This is the second of Poe's books about his character "Edgar". What caught my eye was the title, "Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire" then I opened the book and on the first page, instead of having critics opinions, Poe has his characters from his first book weigh in on Edgar's new adventure. I knew had I to at least try this book. I'm glad I did. It does not disappoint.

Its the story of Edgar and his friend Mountain. After being expelled from college, Edgar decides to head out and look for a ne
Vanessa
A sort of coming of age / welcome to the real world / get a real job sort of tale, but actually its a really funny, charming and nostalgic read taking place in 1976 and charting the further adventures of the hapless 21 year old Edgar Donahoe, a college dropout surfer boy drifter and his adventures on the Caribbean island of Poisson Rouge.

Edgar believes that living wild, on a paradise island is the key to happiness, but soon realises that paradise is not at all as he expected and that love and fr
Audrey
its like on the road and fight club and lost.
there were good characters and mysteries. the guy who read it before me read it because its a little bit about finding yourself in the twentieth century (and still pretty applicable to the current c.) in a nation of technology and capitalism, etc.
thats good but i liked the things about this book that make me wish we had read it in my caribbean romances class senior year of college.

i would read the other book with this main character in it.

Praxedes
This is the sequel to "God Clobbers Us All" starring Ballantine's cynically witty and irresponsible alter ego Edgar Donohoe. I enjoyed reading it but was disappointed with the ending --actually with the multiple endings! It was as if the author didn't know how to end the book and kept trying out consecutive and varied scenarios. I realize now that his true strength lies in non-fiction.
Stephen Naish
This book is the follow on from God Clobbers us All, although you could read it as a stand alone. Its not Poe's best work, but even his not so great work is still brilliant! Don't start here, but do check it out!
Aaron Ritchey
Poe Ballantine is one of the best writers I have ever read. And with his second novel, the writing is joined to a story that works, almost flawlessly, until the very end. I found the end a little disappointing, but the ride there, well worth it. The characters were memorable, the sentences magic. If you haven't read any Poe Ballantine, it's time you started.
Elizabeth
I am definitely one of those people who thinks that life would be easier if I lived on a tropical island. The narrator of this book shares my view and sets out to do just that. Of course, things don't turn out the way he planned. I love this author, he has a great voice.
blake
One of the most interesting contemporary authors.
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Charles Hebenstreit
Charles Hebenstreit marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Daniel King
Daniel King marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Joannnah
Joannnah marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Sutter Lee
Sutter Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Dodge
Dodge added it
Sep 02, 2014
Nico Yearwood
Nico Yearwood marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Poe Ballantine is a fiction and nonfiction writer known for his novels and especially his essays, many of which appear in The Sun. His second novel, Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire, won Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year. The odd jobs, eccentric characters, boarding houses, buses, and beer that populate Ballantine’s work often draw comparisons to the life and work of Charles Bukowski and Jac ...more
More about Poe Ballantine...
Love and Terror on the Howling Plains of Nowhere: A Memoir Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives 501 Minutes to Christ: Personal Essays God Clobbers Us All: A Novel The Blue Devils of Blue River Avenue