Kisses from Hell

Kisses from Hell (Short Stories from Hell)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  5,109 ratings  ·  450 reviews
Truly, Madly, Undeadly

This irresistible collection features stories of love amid vampires by five of today's hottest authors—Kristin Cast (Tempted), Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy), Alyson Noël (Evermore), Kelley Armstrong (The Summoning), and Francesca Lia Block (Pretty Dead).

From a fugitive vampire forced to trust a boy who might work for the group bent on destroying her...more
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperTeen

Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareMidnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
Gotta Have 'Em
113th out of 1,057 books — 1,871 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
392nd out of 3,573 books — 7,547 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Sep 05, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: maybe hardcore fans of Vampire Academy and Darkest Powers series
This collection consists of 5 stories by the YA authors out of which I am familiar with 3 - I admire Kelley Armstrong, I am fairly disappointed in Richelle Mead, vowed not to read Alyson Noel again - never read anything by Kristin Cast and Francesca Lia Block. First I thought to only read Mead's and Armstrong's stories, but then decided to give 3 other writers a chance, out of the goodness of my heart and because the book is fairly short. Well, I shouldn't have bothered.

"Sunshine" by Richelle Me...more
Amanda
Ok, I only read two stories in this book. The Richelle Mead story - which is a Vampire Academy story about how Lissa's parents met - was good and interesting and now makes me want to read the books again! I'm pretty sure that the other characters in this story are also the parents of VA characters, and I need to figure out who is who! The story seems to shed some light on part of Lissa's story that is revealed at the end of Spirit Bound.

The book also contained something by Kristin Cast (of House...more
Sandy
This book is five stories by five authors. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others in this "series". Alyson Noel's story saved it for me. Kelley Armstrong's was also good.

Sunshine by Richelle Mead ***
A story about a bunch of vampire teenagers. They are born vampires called Moroi. They aren't out of control monsters - those are Strigoi. Moroi can become Strigoi by draining a human of blood.
Eric is a player. His father wants him to find a girl and settle down to carry on the family line.
Rhe...more
Bryn ((B2/B.P))   Ryeosomniac~~
Kisses from hell is a collection of five short stories by five popular young adult authors. I have previously read works by four of the five authors. Kristen Cast, Richelle Mead, Alyson Noel and Francesca Lia Block. I am not a huge fan of these authors’ accept for Richelle Mead, she was the sole reason I picked this novel up.

Sunshine by Richelle Mead.
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I love reading back round stories of characters, and I quite liked this one. I have read many bad reviews...more
Andrea Hussey
Aug 07, 2013 Andrea Hussey rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Jamie
The short book is comprised of five short stories from five different authors.

Overall, I gave this book three stars. I enjoyed it for what it was: just a short book to read within an hour and delight in the stories within. I mostly picked it up to read Armstrong's story because I'm on a kick to finish all her young adult stuff, and her story was four star worthy.

Cast's story was annoying; I don't like poetry, and I certainly don't want to read a half poem/half short story that doesn't make sense...more
Hannelore
•Richelle Mead's story;
This story tells us about Eric Dragomir
when he was younger.
It's sort of a prequel to Vampire Academy,
you could say.
I think this was a really cute story!
I only wonder know why he would get cheated on Rhea
-like you discover in the Vampire Academy series-

•Alyson Noël's story:
This story was a bit hard to keep up with.
It had a lot of creepy elements!
But, it keeps intriguing you until the last page!
Still think that Sam is a cutie!

•Kristin Cast's story;
This was really hard t...more
Angela
Lacking real bite despite the vampires

KISSES FROM HELL brings together five popular young adult paranormal authors with short stories about love and vampires. Similar to the companion anthologies that came before it (LOVE IS HELL, PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL, and VACATIONS FROM HELL), this book is composed of five different tales, each centered loosely around the title's theme. Different from the other volumes, however, this book focuses on vampires only, instead of a wider host of paranormal creature...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
1. Sunshine by Richelle Mead
4 STARS

I was so interested in reading anything Mead puts out that's set in the VA world. Although this short story lacks the kickass heroine that is Rose, I found that I really liked Rhea. She's an outcast and it's clear from the very beginning, but she is very sure of herself and that is very endearing. Speaking of which, Eric is irresistable. It's no wonder girls love him.

I thought the overall story was great, though I must admit I did think Dennis to be somewhat o...more
Kerstyn M.
Sep 19, 2010 Kerstyn M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the authours who contributed
I was really looking forward to reading this book for two reasons:
1. I absolutely LOVED a previous paranormal anthology belonging to the same series(?) as this one, Vacations from Hell.
2. Contains short stories from tow of my favorite authors of the moment, Kelley Armstrong and Richelle Mead.

I read this book from cover-to-cover in basically one sitting, and was severely disappointed, because it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. Although I was only familiar with three of the authors (A...more
Liz
This book gets 4 stars for the 4 stories that were pretty good!

In "Sunshine" by Richelle Mead we get a look a very sweet, very cute little story. I enjoyed this one. Especially since I was having VA withdrawal. If you're a fan of the Vamp Academy series, then this short story is a must! ~ 4 STARS

Story #2 was by far my absolute favourite! "Bring Me to Life" by Alyson Noel was AMAZING! First of all...ALYSON ~ YOU SHOULD TOTALLY WRITE A VAMPIRE SERIES!!!!! This was a great story that was cut waaaa...more
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Hell anthology series with a theme of paranormal romance for young adults.

Series:
"Sunshine" (Vampire Academy, 0.5)
"Hunting Kat" (Darkest Powers, 3.5)

I would be remiss in not mentioning that "a portion of the proceeds from the sale of this collection will be donated to College Summit" to aid in college enrollment for all students, and especially those from low-income backgrounds. Proceed at your own risk.

My Take
Yeah, it was reading from hell as well! I'd suspect that part of the ma...more
Jordan
UN SOLEIL INTERDIT :

Ha, quel plaisir de retrouver le style de Richelle Mead pour cette première histoire ! En plus, on ne fait pas que retrouver sa manière d'écrire. Nous sommes aussi plongés dans l'univers de Vampire Academy ! Et oui, ici on suit Eric Dragomir, un Moroï haut placé. Dragomir, ce nom ne vous dit-il rien ? Pour les lecteurs de Vampire Academy, vous aurez compris que ce personnage n'est autre que le père de Lissa. Grâce à l'histoire "Un Soleil Interdit", on remonte le temps jusqu'...more
Say
this book of short stories was not bad at all...i actually liked most of the stories in it.

1. sunshine by richelle mead (4 stars). reading this story, one experienced i had was nostalgia. it's like i'm back and reading the vampire academy series again. since i totally adored the series, it was not hard for me to like this one. reading the dragomir surname again...wow memories! i really liked this one.

2. bring me to life by alyson noel (3 stars). i have also read the immortals series by alyson no...more
Kerry
Sunshine--Richelle Mead
One Star.

I didn't like Rhea. She was so incredibly insecure and bitchy. There was no way anyone could talk to her without walking on egg shells. Don't call her on it though, that just makes her talk down to you like you're a piece of shit.
And what the hell..? Why was this about vampires? A human suffering from blood loss could take them out. Why did Rhea have a fire ability when she didn't ever use it? Not even to defend herself?
A tug-of-war between two people is not what...more
Abbie
Terrible.

The problem with most anthologies is that they're uneven - i.e. some of the stories are great and others less so. But nope, not here. They were all just really, really bad.

The stories ranged from utterly bizarre and hard to follow to just plain stupid. Most of them were an unholy mix of the two, and I could barely finish reading. Seriously, I no longer have any desire to read any of these authors' works. My God. I mean, I already hated Kristin Cast's books, but not I'm not sure I want...more
Cathy
Oct 23, 2010 Cathy marked it as to-read
An except from the preface:

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this collection will be donated to College Summit, a national nonprofit organization that partners with school districts to increase the college enrollment rate of all students, particularly those from low-income backgrounds.

About college access in America:

●Every year, 200,000 students who have the ability to go to college do not enroll.
●Low-income students who get As on standardized tests go to college at the same rate as t...more
Emmalee
If you're a teen, or a pre-teen you'd probably like this book a lot better. The only decent stories are Sunshine (Richelle Mead), Hunting Kat by Kelly Armstrong, and Bring me to Life (Alyson Noel). Even Bring Me to Life smacks of the whole twilight everlasting undying love forever movement. (Yes, I know it's paranormal romance, but sometimes are done to death.)

Above by Kristen Cast was so badly written I didn't even bother to finish it. I think it was meant to be written in a more poetic style...more
N.L. Riviezzo
Sunshine by Richelle Mead - 4 stars - a great little short story about how Lissa Dragomir's parents met.

Bring Me To Life by Alyson Noel - 2 stars - too short, not enough story development for my liking.

Above by Kristin Cast - 1 star - Horrible. I'm convinced that the worst parts of the HoN series are indeed written by Kristin. Her writing style is very lacking.

Hunting Kat by Kelley Armstrong - 3 stars - Another short story about Kat, a genetically altered 16 year old vampire, who is part of the...more
Nadia
There are 5 stories in total, all written by renowned authors.

Sunshine by Richelle Mead: I never thought I would say something like this about one of Mead's works, but boy was this thing bad. Even a connection with Vampire Academy wasn't enough to make this thing good. That insta-romance made me gag. 1 star for attempt.

Bring Me to Life by Alyson Noel: Kind of predictable. A loner girl gets picked up by an aristocrat art school. The story had good potential but ultimately turned out to be quite d...more
Elizabeth
In order of my preference: -

No.1 Hunting Kat by Kelley Armstrong: -
This story kept me interested from the first word to the last. Excellently written and good action scenes.

No.2 Bring me to life by Alyson Noel: -
This was interesting and at one point I thought Bram was actually Bram Stoker and he was going to reveal that Dracula was an autobiography.

No.3 Sunshine by Richelle Mead: -
The story flowed nicely and I related well to the characters quickly. There was no blood lust and the usual frenzy o...more
Fotini  Dracarys
I have to admit-i picked up Kisses from Hell solely for Sunshine, the story of how Eric Dragomir and Rhea Dragomir met and fell in love.Having thoroughly enjoyed the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead i just knew that i absolutely had to read this..prequel,if you'd like.

I won't say much about it-only that it was coming about beautifully and it was made so easy to get into.It was like you knew the characters and it didn't give the feeling of just jumping into a story and being lost until eve...more
Cassie Hawkings
This short story is from the anthology Kisses from Hell.

Sunrise is a prequel story to Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. The story is set well before the birth of Lissa Dragomir and tells how her parents met and fell in love.

I thought it was incredibly sweet as we don't see Rhea and Eric in the books as they have died prior to the beginning of Vampire Academy, hence we don't know their back story until now. 5 stars.
Angela
Okay, without waxing all poetic, this group of short stories was okay. (p.s. Okay is not a bad thing, it's an okay thing, if ya know what I mean.) My favorite story was written by Francesca Lia Block (which in my humble opinion was the perfect example of a short story done right) and my least favorite was written by Kristin Cast. All the rest fell somewhere in between. And that's what I got to say about that. BOOM!
Pamela
Give Sunshine 5 stars, good job, Richelle Mead!

Give Bring Me to Life 2 stars. It was too slow and bizarre, not a good combination.

Give Above 3 stars. Kristin Cast's poetry is misplaced and not much was explained in the story.

Give Hunting Kat 4 stars, amazing work, Kelley Armstrong! I can sense that this is the beginning of a good series! :)

Give Lilith 1 star. I mean, what the hell was that???
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
I found this soooooooooooooooo disappointing. Seriously. The only reason I even picked up this book is because of Richelle Mead having written Vampire Academy so to find out that her short story was a major disappointment?

*sigh*

I gave up shortly after Ms Casts' story and forgive me for being Captain Obvious but no, I did not find the incentive to finish this... book.
Taภya
Sunshine—Richelle Mead
3 stars

This story is about how Lissa's parents met, which was quite
interesting.
The only problem was (view spoiler) that's the only bit i didn't like.

But i would recommend this book, it was a good read.
Heather
Wenn man sich Verdammt ansieht, fällt einem sofort auf, dass das Cover denen von House of Night verdammt ähnlich sieht, vermutlich, um es besser verkaufen zu können. Wie es der Zufall so will, ist auch eine der Cast-Frauen Mitautorin, ebenso, wie die namenhafte Richelle Mead, die sich mit der Vampire Academy einen Namen machte.
Das Buch besteht aus 5 Kurzgeschichten über Unsterbliche und die Liebe.

Die erste Geschichte erzählt das Kennenlernen der Eltern von Lissa aus Vampire Academy. Nicht mehr,...more
Amy Beer
"Sunshine" By Richelle Mead
A good short story. I became interested in this world very quickly after starting the story and it had some great characters that I wanted to read more about. I think this would be good as a longer story on its own as I would love to have had more to read. That being said, this story has definitely made me want to read more of Mead's novels.
4.5 Stars

"Bring Me To Life" By Alyson Noël
While this story was slow to start, by the end I was absolutely in love with this story...more
tabras
For a compilation of short stories, it provides the usual mixed bunch - some great reads that I want to read more of and some that are too obscure to appeal to a remotely mainstream reader. (Perhaps it was poetry disguised as a vampire story? Who knows - it was just, well, weird.) However, there were some great short reads and while I wouldn't rate it as the best vampire story collection, there are some notable contributions. I particularly enjoyed the short by Kelley Armstrong - a story I'd def...more
  • Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite
  • Vacations from Hell
  • Love Is Hell
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Eternal Lover (Hell on Earth, #2.5; Georgina Kincaid, #2.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • Prom Nights from Hell
  • Dreams and Desires
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Kat (Darkest Powers, #0.3)
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
At 19-years-old, Kristin is thrilled to be coauthoring the YA series, THE HOUSE OF NIGHT, with her mother. The first book in the series will be her first published novel. She has won awards for her poetry, as well as served as journalist for her intermediate high school newspaper, Tiger Tales, and as editor for her high school magazine, Tiger Eye. Kristin attends Northeastern State University in T...more
More about Kristin Cast...
Untamed (House of Night, #4) Hunted (House of Night, #5) Tempted (House of Night, #6) Hidden (House of Night, #10) Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed (House of Night, #1-4)

“Halfway down, Eric stopped and stared at her, an awestruck look in his eyes. “What is it?” she asked.
“Your hair. Even in moonlight . . . it looks like sunshine. I’d never have to go outside again if I was with you.”
She tugged him forward. “I think you hit your head in your heroic struggles.”
“You were the heroic one,” Eric said, stepping around a rock bend. “Reminds me of the stories from Russia my grandmother used to tell me. You know any of them? Vasilisa the Brave?”
“Nope. My family’s from Romania. Never heard of any Vasilisa.” Looking up, Rhea stare up at the sky thoughtfully. “But I kind of like that name.”
4 likes
“Name, please?” he says, or actually, snaps; it sounded way more like a snap, like he’s in a big hurry or something.
“Um, Danika.” I nod. “Danika Kavanaugh?” I say it like a question, as though I’m looking to him to confirm my own name. I roll my eyes and shake my head. Nice to know I’m as big a dork in the UK as I was in the U.S.”
3 likes