Start by marking “I Am What I Am” as Want to Read:
I Am What I Am

I Am What I Am (John Barrowman Memoirs #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  986 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Intimately exploring aspects of John’s current life, this personal memoir is full of exclusive anecdotes from recent and ongoing projects, all told with John’s trademark charm and humor. Full of juicy tidbits from behind the scenes of Doctor Who and Torchwood, this memoir also offers heartwarming family anecdotes and personal revelations, including John’s perspective on fa ...more
Published May 6th 2010 by Michael O'Mara (first published November 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am What I Am, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am What I Am

TL
Mar 31, 2014 TL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved the way John/Carole wrote this book... it felt like I was invited into the house and was sitting there, sipping a drink while listening to John tell his stories... the beginning before the narrative got going and the end also set that tone wonderfully. The footnotes here hilarious as well sometimes... cute to see John interrupting himself.

*some spoilers for Torchwood if you haven't seen the show yet*

The first thing I did was to check out the photos included in the book hehe...

John's ha
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I enjoyed browsing this book.
Cass
I am a fangirl so when I saw this copy in a library sale I picked it up. I love Torchwood (A spin-off of Dr Who) and Captain Jack Harkniss (played by John Barrowman) is a fabulous television character.

The book is one you either love or just don't. Every single page has footnotes at the bottom of the page - Every single page. It makes reading the book incredibly difficult, and yet it is the perfect representation of John Barrowman's character. He is so busy and has so many trains of thought goin
Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 22, 2013 Lizabeth Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, television
Reading a book from John and Carole really is like sitting down with him and listening to family stories and discussing whatever subject might come up. Once again the chapters are entitled by the names of songs that pertain to the contents within. This time chapters are divided by Family Table Talk moments where you hear a more intimate remembrance or talk.

As before I would suggest not reading this in public, unless you don't mind people looking at you strangely for breaking out in laughter. Joh
deejah
Nov 17, 2011 deejah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another memoir?? Yep - I am sure it will be the final one for me in this project. This is another book given to me by my pal Lara http://larasreadingroom.blogspot.com/ . She asked if it would be a book that I would be interested in checking out because she knew that I am a sci-fi fan overall and a Torchwood fan specifically. See, for the uninitiated, John Barrowman plays Captain Jack Harkness on the Doctor Who and Torchwood franchises. He is a Scottish-born actor who grew up in the US. He is fla ...more
Grumpyworld
Jan 02, 2010 Grumpyworld rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a slow reader. People have leant me books and then not seen them for up to a year. So when I tell you that I got this book...and FINISHED this book, in one day (almost in a single sitting, I stopped for tea) then I am saying something.

It's very well written, with an great sense of humour, honesty, and mixture of tales and thoughts. You get the sense that Barrowman is holding nothing back, and it makes the words even more special. There are parts that will make you laugh out loud, parts tha
Adam
Mar 03, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried tears of laughter and sorrow, reading the second installment of John Barrowman's life story. He goes into further detail talking about family "table" tales, tales which are constantly reviewed at the family dinner table.

Be it his swimming dog from his childhood, or the "emergency flapping", or the bear on a walk in the woods one day. All his tales are beyond funny, and I found myself laughing out loud, oh so often (much to the amusement, or annoyment, to other library-goers)!

But BE WAR
Shelley
Oct 09, 2009 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JB fans, clearly
Shelves: whoniverse, media
John Barrowman, I love you so much. But I think everyone knew this already. This was laugh out loud funny and a delight to read. It dragged a bit in the middle - he touched on a lot of very recent events that were so familiar it felt like a retread, and since he referenced things as recent as June, this may not have been as revised/edited as the first one. Also, I pushed myself through this in one afternoon/evening, which might have contributed to it. But his stories about his family and Scott w ...more
Antony Simpson
Dec 23, 2015 Antony Simpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From AntonySimpson.com:

Anyone who knows me, knows I like John Barrowman. So when he brought out I Am What I Am I picked it up. It is his second autobiography, his first being Anything Goes which I haven’t yet read.

But having finished I Am What I Am some time ago, I felt it was about time I reviewed it. First off I love how the book is written. It’s like you’ve got a warm mug of tea and are listening to John recount a tale. You can almost hear the sound of his voice as you read. He uses footnotes
Sandra
In contrast to John's earlier book, Anything Goes, this is not so much an autobiography but a book full of stories - and lovely ones they are! John is every bit as cheeky and fun as he is during his shows or on TV and reading the book simply guarantees you having a great time. It should come as no surprise then that there's 5 stars for this book of my favourite performer - Mr. John Barrowman!
Rosina Scott
Jan 17, 2010 Rosina Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
learned some nice things about John's partner and a few more interesting tales of family life.

Much the same as the first book, but more a day to day telling of his past than anything really outstanding. Plus there was details of the scandel with the Daily Mail.
Owen
Oh my god. I'm a huge John Barrowman fan and this is probably the funniest auto-biography I have read in my life. If you want a great laugh even if you aren't a fan of his then I recommend this book.

I was laughing so hard I was in tears at points.
Phillip
Jan 10, 2016 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of John since Doctor Who/Torchwood, but I love his appearances on panel shows, musical shows, and was lucky enough to see him in concert in Cardiff, Wales a few years ago, as well as getting to ask him a question during a con appearance here in the States. So knowing his personality, I thoroughly enjoyed this book which is generally just him storytelling -- I have not read his prior book which I understand is more of a bio. This one is just his tales of family, fun, and experienc ...more
Jules Jones
Second volume of Barrowman's memoirs, written with his sister Carole Barrowman. While the first volume was a largely chronological memoir of his life so far, this volume is a selection of stories arranged more by theme than by time, and including a lot of material in direct response to questions he was asked after the first volume was published. As with any good actor biography, part of the appeal of this book is a more general look at the side of showbusiness that the public don't see for thems ...more
Tara Horak
Aug 21, 2010 Tara Horak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sian Wadey
Mar 07, 2011 Sian Wadey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiographies
I Am What I Am by John Barrowman

Having read Anything Goes I was excited to find another Barrowman autobiography. My only concern is that he'd pretty much covered his whole life in the first book, what was left to talk about?
However, I didn't have to worry, it was great, full of entertaining stories and memorable moments and opinions. I loved the 'table talk' sections about what the Barrowman's would discuss around the dinner table and I really enjoyed reading the lists relevant to each chapter.
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo)
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo.blogspot.com) Review:
As a lifelong fan of Doctor Who and just recently got into Torchwood I am a huge fan...a HUGE FAN of John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness)!! He could just stand in front of the camera and smile his huge dashing smile and I'll be content with that!! Ha-Ha!

So as a fan of the two shows and him, once I found out that he wrote a book about himself I just couldn't say no. So I interloaned I Am What I Am at my library. And I gotta tell ya...still in lov
Lindsey
Jan 04, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-book, 2013, biography
What can I say...This was an amazing follow-up to John Barrowman's first bestselling book "Anything Goes." John Barrowman is a singer, a dancer, an actor, and now an author. For those who do not know John let me tell you. I got my first taste of John when I first saw him on Doctor Who as Captain Jack and he was trying to win over the heart of Rose Tyler, but that's a whole different aspect of his life. I knew then and there that I wanted to find out more about this actor. I discovered his two bo ...more
Susan Olesen
I love him dearly, but I found the style of the book lacked a kind of cohesiveness I expect in a biography. I still can't tell if he's that affable and lovable and wonderful, or just a pretty-boy-macho-dumb**ck who's full of himself. More a collection of essays than a meaningful autobiography, there just isn't enough background to the sections to make you really understand. OK if you want to know more about him, learn what he does away from Torchwood, but don't expect much. But, even though I do ...more
Sinead Murray
Didn't hate it but didn't love it either. I like John Barrowman and am a Torchwood fan but just wasn't crazy about this book. It is not an autobiography (his first book which I haven't read is). This is a collection of stories and they read as if he is talking to you. Which is nice but difficult at the same time as he has a tendancey to meader around a bit. Maybe more of a dip in and out of book than a straight read through.
Jasmiina F
Mar 14, 2014 Jasmiina F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Just as wonderful as Anything Goes, but with different stories. I loved it when John told about his dogs (I almost cried) and, well, I actually loved everything. I think Carole is the perfect person to write these books because he knows John so well and he knows how he speaks and acts.
Retrovold
Jun 18, 2015 Retrovold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
John Barrowman to me is a great man who is so open and not afraid of showing who he is that it almost frightens me. I have enjoyed his previous book and this one was even more open and more insightful into Mr. Barrowmans life and career.

All those stories. His family diverse so hard from mine that I almost think this is hardly possible. But then again mine is so extremely disfunction it should not be possible either :D
Krista McCracken
Not nearly as engaging as the First John Barrowman memoir. I found the style of this one much less conversational and had a bit too much hubris for my preference. Though it's still John Barrowman...so I definitely don't regret reading it and it had many funny and inappropriate moments.
Jenny Hawley
Oct 08, 2014 Jenny Hawley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and charming. I just love John Borrowman. My only complaint was his tendency to go off topic. It sometimes made the narrative confusing or frustrating because when you wanted to hear the rest of one story, he'd interrupt it with two other ones. However, overall, I enjoyed the book.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Borrowed this book off Becca whilst in Singapore, and read it in two days or so? I love it. I love how he’s fair in what he says – if he had a problem with someone he says he did, and explains why. So many times you see celebs do nothing but suck up to everyone and never saying a bad word about anyone, which means therefore you can’t really put weight in any of their opinions. John though, if he loves or hates someone, he’ll tell you.

I don’t live in the UK so I miss out on a bit of his news – so
jillbertini
Mar 06, 2010 jillbertini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Barrowman is a consummate entertainer. This book is nothing short of entertaining. I found myself laughing out loud through.

It's not organized in a typical chronological fashion, but more thematically. I haven't read his earlier book, so I think there were some holes that were missing.

As a fan of both Barrowman and Torchwood, this was an enjoyable read. It was great to learn more about both of them. I had read a review of Anything Goes that said Barrowman didn't delve too much into dark stu
Lisa P
Jun 02, 2012 Lisa P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for any John Barrowman fan. Some might complain that it is a bit disorganized and nonlinear...but that is exactly what I loved about it (maybe because I can relate). Have you ever started to tell a story to someone and gotten off on a tangent story, and another, and another, until finally, 5 or 6 stories later, you finally get around to finishing the original story. Well, that's kind of what this book is like...and it works! Many of the stories he tells of his friends and family had m ...more
Eri
Feb 04, 2016 Eri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
At the beginning of the first book JB says something like - I want you to feel like we're sitting in our PJs and swapping stories. This book, just liek the first one, gave me exactly this feeling. I've been laughing my ass off and almost snorting my tea thanks to how priceless the stories inside this book are.

Carole Barrowman did wonderful job turning Johns's talks into written text. It's catchy, it's pleasure to read, and if I had more time I'd read this in one sitting.

Btw - given my backgroun
Chris Turnbull
Apr 03, 2015 Chris Turnbull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read - A great insight into the National Treasure that is John Barrowman.
I want to be part of this crazy fun family!
Taksya
Feb 28, 2016 Taksya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seconda biografia per John Barrowman, incentrata sulla seconda parte della sua carriera.
Come per la prima, il racconto segue una sorta di canovaccio, ma gli aneddoti si accavallano tra loro, dando al racconto una sorta di tranquilla colloquialità.
La parte dedicata ai vari talent show è di interesse relativo, non avendo assistito agli show in questione e non conoscendo buona parte dei nomi citato.
Più interessanti le parti legate a Torchwood e Doctor Who e quelle collegate alla famiglia e ai nomi
  • Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
  • Growing Pains
  • Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale
  • Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It
  • The Torchwood Archives
  • True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Queers Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the LGBTQ Fans Who Love It
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
John Barrowman was born in Scotland, and moved to Illinois when he was eight years old. He is bi-dialectal, doing much of his stage and acting work in his American accent, but speaking with family in his Scottish accent.

He moved back to Britain in 1989 when he was hired to play the lead in Anything Goes. He took on a number of West End roles, including the leads in Sunset Boulevard and Miss Saigo
More about John Barrowman...

John Barrowman Memoirs (2 books)
  • Anything Goes