Start by marking “Little Night” as Want to Read:
Little Night

Little Night

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  54 reviews
As the long day comes to an end, Mother Sky fills a tub with falling stars and calls, "Bath time for Little Night!"Little Night answers from afar, "Can't come. I am hiding and you have to find me, Mama. Find me now!"Where could Little Night be? Down a rabbit hole? In a blueberry field? Among the stripes of bees? Exquisitely painted and as gentle as Little Night's dress cro ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Night

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
34th out of 241 books — 64 voters
Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong HoOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaShades of Black by Sandra L. PinkneyI Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia TarpleyGuji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen
Chromatic Children's Literature
118th out of 139 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Gorgeous and unusual illustrations, each one taking up the whole page with the story text over part of the picture, and lovely sentiments of a mother’s love for her daughter. I read this illustrator's book Los Gatos Black on Halloween, and loved it and enjoyed the English-Spanish language story. This book has a separate Spanish language edition; I would have loved some Spanish in this English language story as well. In the illustrations I particularly loved the stars, in all the places they appe ...more
Kathryn
Absolutely gorgeous, luminous illustrations make this an outstanding book! The story is about Mother Sky who tries to get Little Night ready to play in the sky, but mischievous Little Night loves to hide. Wow, I loved it!
Dolly
Sep 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With soft, soothing colors and a whimsical story, I think this would be a perfect bedtime read. The Little Night character is adorably mischievous and the Mother Sky character is nurturing and playful. The story seems to end a bit abruptly, but otherwise it's a fun story to read aloud. We really enjoyed reading this book together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the September 2013 - Bedtime stories discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads
Leslie
Yuyi Morales plays with the getting-ready-for-bed story as Mother Sky tries to coax Little Night into a bathtub of stars. The sun sets, and the sky cools and darkens Mother Sky’s skirts as she bathes and dresses a child more interested in playing hide-and-seek.

Little Night hides in places wherein night would blend, with animals and hues like a little night. The color scheme moves from warm sunset reds, oranges, pinks to cooling and harder-surfaced reds to deepening into purples and blues. The ev
Kelly
For me, Little Night is the kiddie version of magical realism and has a strong Mexican feel (perhaps because Morales is Mexican-born). I love seeing and reading the joyful, loving mother-daughter relationship, watching the bedtime routine of the text, and seeing a beautiful brown-skinned family portrayed so vibrantly. It is important for my preschool students to see themselves and their families reflected in our classroom texts and it is also important for my students to see children and familie ...more
Christy
Little Night, written and illustrated by Yuyi Morales, is a bedtime story book that captivates readers with its delightful story and magnificent illustrations. The text is light-hearted and warm. Readers feel the genuine and loving relationship between the mother, Mother Sky, and her daughter, Little Night.
Little Night won both the 2008 American Library Association Notable Book Award (ALAN) and the 2008 Golden Kite Award. The ALAN is awarded to children’s books that are especially commendable
Scooping it Up
This is a favorite of my newest daughter, who is desperate for books that show characters that look like her, i.e. little girls with brown skin. Every night she asks for this book and I am happy to oblige.

This fact won't apply to many families out there, but book's flow and rhythm makes it easy to translate into Amharic, my daughter's language, which makes for a soothing bedtime read.

Each page depicts a little girl, who is the night, hiding from her mother the sky. She wants to be found, but pla
YoSafBridg
Just when you thought i might have gone and tried to grow up on ya'all i have another wonderful picture book recommendation for everyone to check out: Little Night by Pura Belpre Award winning author and artist Yuyi Morales. Little Night begins at the end of the long day as
Little Night answers from afar, "Can't come, I am hiding and you have to find me, Mama. Find me now!"
"Hmmm," Mother Sky looks down a rabbit hole
Maria
It is common knowledge that Yuyi Morales is a color genius and a word magician, and with Little Night, she does it again. Yuyi's color palette is imaginative, unique and vibrant. Her colors are so deep. So sparkly. I am convinced they will glow in the dark if I were to turn off the light. I LOVE her combination of magenta and red with turquoise and purple.
her compositions are magical. My eye flows over the pages, dancing from one spread to the next.
Yuyi's text is lyrical and soothing, perfect
Carly
Little Night is a simple book about a mother getting her daughter ready. She bathes, dresses, and feeds Little Night, each time having to find find her where she's hiding. The book has the most beautiful illustrations I have ever seen. They really capture the beauty of dusk and night - and of the special relationship between a mother and daughter.

My daughter and I read this book every night and just adore it!
529_Quincy Owens
Little Night by Yuyi Morales is a short tale about Mother Sky and her playful daughter Little Night. Throughout the story, Mother Sky goes about her “motherly” routine of taking care of her daughter which includes; bathing, feeding, dressing, and combing her hair. All of these events happen in a “God” like manner. The Milky Way for instance is nothing more than nourishment for Little Night. The God’s in this book are definitely of Mexican descent. There are also numerous illustrations of buildin ...more
Lisa
Enchanting! This is everything a picture book for babies and toddlers and preschoolers should be! Mother Sky leads her daughter Little Night through her bedtime routine of taking a bath, putting on pajamas, brushing her hair, etc. But it's Mother Sky, so Little Night bathes in falling stars, dresses in clouds, and gets stars in her hair. Little Night hides at each step along the way, telling her mama that she'll have to find her first. And, of course, Mama finds Little Night each time.

As always,
Melanie Fernandez
Little Night is a 2008 Americas Award Nominated book by Yuyi Morales. There is also a Spanish version of the book entitled, Nochecita. I read the English version of the book. First off, Yuyi Morales’ illustrations are simply phenomenal. The dreamy, flowy pictures match the book’s theme about bedtime. Mother Sky plays hide and seek with Little Night as part of their bedtime ritual. This would be a great bedtime read aloud book for young children for English or Spanish speakers since there are 2 v ...more
Londa
Things I liked:
*The artwork was beautiful. I love the game Little night and her Momma were playing, and how she was getting ready for her 'day' as the world went to sleep

Just OK
*Although I thought the artwork was beautiful. It was too dark for a bedtime story. I never would have thought about it, but especially in the dim lights we have on to read bedtime stories, we hard a hard time 'seeing' the pictures. My biggest disappointment with this book was the ending. It was very awkward and ABRUPT
Gabrielle
Little Night is another beautifully illustrated book by Yuyi Morales. Her illustrations are so lovely, and in this book she uses lots of dark purples, browns and reds to depict the night sky.
The story is about Mother Sky and her child Little Night as they play together. Mother Sky is very loving and playful with her child. It's a very lighthearted story, but Morales dedicated the story to two Mexican mothers she knows who are fighting poverty and illness to raise their children. This is a lovel
Julie
What a beautiful book to read to a child at bedtime. While we are getting ready for bed, the mischevious Little Night keeps Mother Sky busy with a game of hide-and-seek while she tries to avoid getting ready for her day.

Yuyi Morales's story is perfectly complimented by her pastel illustrations. The book is truly a work of art. As you are reading, Mother Sky's skirt transforms from the flaming colors of a sunset to the soft violets and blues of night.
Nancy
Yuyi Morales' illustrations and words flow together through the pages of this spirit filled nocturnal tale of Mother Sky and her daughter, Little Night. Morales insight to beauty, love and nature is evident when reading and viewing the warm purples, reds, and browns along with the fullness of the mother and daughter in this picture book. This is a beautiful book to put any child (or adult) to sleep by.
Jim
Little Night, by Yuyi Morales, shines with hues of the colorful night sky. The story, about a little girl, the personification of night, who wakes up when the rest of the world goes to sleep will delight kids with it's topsy-turvy viewpoint. As Mother Sky plays a game of hide-n-seek with Little Night, the girl gets ready for her day...errr... her night. Charming story and gorgeous art.
Connie
When I say this book is gorgeous, I don't mean it looks merely pretty, or even beautiful. I mean the colors are rich, the lines vivid, the faces real. I would say that the text is sweet, but that's like saying gold or honey is "kinda yellow". Honey isn't half as sweet as this book, anyway.

If you can only buy one bedtime book this year, make it this one. You won't regret it.
Gianna Marino
Mar 12, 2010 Gianna Marino rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gianna by: friend
Yuyi Morales is an amazing story teller, illustrator and creator of magic! She does it once again with this starry tale of Little Night and Mother Sky. The playfulness and joy of Little Night hiding from her Mother Sky is sweet and loving. Yuyi's art, as always, is rich and emotional.
Must read, must have, must think of it every time you look at the night sky....
Jackie
A creative use of stars and sky terminology, Little Night by Yuyi Morales captures those bedtime 'struggles' with imagination and playfulness. Mother Sky cheerfully helps Little Night slip into slumber, while playing along with her daughter's pre-bedtime antics.

A wonderful book for bedtime.

Used for "Sky and Stars" Storytime: October, 2011.
Erin
So colorful! As Mother Sky plays hide and seek with her Little Night, her dress changes as the night sky would during a sunset. She takes care of her young one and prepares her for the night so she can go play with her ball, the moon. Great for storytimes for preschoolers or toddlers.
Sam
This was a beautiful story and I absolutely adored the illustrations. I also loved the way the sky is depicted as a mother searching for her daughter, night. I loved the way the mother's dress changed colors to imitate a sun setting and the sky turning to evening.
Gina Pecoraro
Format: Picture Book
Awards: ALAN 2008 (ALA Notable Books for Children) GKA 2008 (Golden Kite Award)
The Golden Kite Award is given to outstanding children's books written or illustrated by members of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.
Julie
Beautiful illustrations use color, size, and contrast as Little Night hides throughout the bedtime routine from Mother Sky and her billowing skirt. He wears a nightshirt crocheted from clouds, bathes in a star-filled tub, and drinks the Milky Way.
Tricia
While the illustrations are beautiful, they are so dark and would be difficult to share in a large setting. Little Night at time blends into the background, also set in rich, deep colors. Story of Mother Sky placing Little Night to bed.
Diana
I actually really loved this book. The imagery is beautiful and it was fun to read it to my daughter. I got a warm feeling from it, like the love this woman has for her child just oozes off the pages. Very enjoyable read.
Crystal
The illustrations are rich and gorgeous. The text is playful and fantastical. It is the story of mother sky preparing her child little night for nighttime. It's a beautiful story that brings a smile to my face.
Bill Prosser
I loved the pictures. Very bright and colorful. Didn't appreciate the story. I'm guessing it is based on a legend of some sort, but no explanation made it confusing for me. Check it out for the picutres.
Anna
Mar 28, 2009 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers and their children
This was a cute story about a mother and her child that I think young kids would really enjoy. The pictures are great and the book captures the special kind of relationship that a mother and child share.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • What Can You Do with a Paleta?
  • Gracias/Thanks
  • Jazz
  • Come On, Rain!
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors
Yuyi Morales is the illustrator of Kathleen Krull’s Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, whose accolades include a Pura Belpré Award and a Christopher Medal, as well as the Pura Belpré Award-winning Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes. Born and raised in Mexico, she now lives in northern California.
More about Yuyi Morales...
Niño Wrestles the World Just a Minute! Just in Case Viva Frida Los Gatos Black on Halloween