Start by marking “Das Gold der Maori (Kauri-Trilogie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Das Gold der Maori (Kauri-Trilogie, #1)

Das Gold der Maori (Kauri-Trilogie #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  976 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Eine grandiose Geschichte vor atemberaubender Kulisse - von der Meisterin der Neuseelandsaga Kathleen und Michael wollen Irland verlassen. Das heimlich verlobte Paar schmiedet Pläne von einem besseren Leben in der neuen Welt. Aber all ihre Träume finden ein jähes Ende: Michael wird als Rebell verurteilt und nach Australien verbannt. Die schwangere Kathleen muss gegen ihren ...more
752 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Das Gold der Maori, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Gold der Maori

Cindy Woods
Apr 21, 2016 Cindy Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

This is a very interesting historical romance fiction that is try an eye opener. This author obviously did her research. It is a book hard to put down. It is also hard to read on many instances. The abuse of women is a theme that continues throughout. Hard to read about, but necessary to document. I would most definitely recommend this book very highly. Original plot.
Ana
As always, Sarah Lark has fascinated me with another story overseas.
It has the same elements of her previous novels, a romance gone wrong, new romances blooming, a new land, lot of hard work, sheep, horses (in this case) and, I'm afraid, some rape as well.
I haven't found yet a book by this woman better than The White Cloud, that's my favourite.

In this book you see how people evolve, and, although we would like it to be otherwise, how your first love can no longer be the same one once time has p
Ann
Feb 04, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Sarah Lark's most recent book about the settling of New Zealand. As a New Zealander, I appreciate the detailed research into our country's background with both the Maori and pakeha cultures. One again there are strong female characters in her story line. I wonder if I would have survived the hardships that families, and women in particular, found upon arrival in NZ during those times. This book is set in time of the gold rush days in Otago. I am a fan of Sarah Lark's books and have read ...more
Terri
Apr 03, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed bag, this one. I very much enjoyed the vivid Australian and New Zealand historical setting and the obvious wealth of research. The main characters, though, drove me to distraction. I wanted to shake them all by the shoulders and tell them to grow up and move on.
Angela
Feb 23, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book, it was fun to learn more about New Zealand. A book that takes place on an island for Popsugar challenge
Anne Monteith
(SPOILERS)

Sarah Lark has become one of my favorite authors. I loved her first trilogy set in New Zealand, I enjoyed the second series set in the Caribbean and now with her latest she has once again returned to New Zealand.

The story is begins in Ireland and England. In Ireland, the potatoes have been rotting in the fields for years and the Irish are struggling to survive by eating whatever they can find. Michael and Mary Kathleen are two young lovers who dream of leaving Ireland and Michael want
Bookfan36
Jan 14, 2016 Bookfan36 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book by Sarah Lark.

Synopsis

Michael and Kathleen grow up together in nineteenth century Ireland, at a time when the majority of the Irish are starving because of the potato blight. They dream of a better life together away from the emerald isle. Michael has a risky plan to get the money to start their new life. When Kathleen gets pregnant they have to bring it forward.

Sadly fate is not on their side. Michael gets caught on the wrong side of the law and is transported to Australia. K
Ieva
Apr 25, 2016 Ieva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larku iepazinu ar viņas "Balto mākoņu zemē" - romānu, kurš tik ļoti patika, ka pat to iegādājos, lai ir iespēja mājās pārlasīt, kad ienāk prātā (un tas ir mans lielākais kompliments grāmatai). Protams, ka izlasīju visu to triloģiju, lai gan turpinājumi TIK ļoti vairs neiejūsmināja. Un acīmredzot, Larka Latvijā ieguva ļoti daudz fanus, jo pēc "Maoru zelta" rindā bibliotēkā biju vairāk nekā pusgadu...
Kā rāda goodreads atzīme lasīju ļoti ilgi (šāda tipa grāmatai nedēļa ir ļoti ilgi) – bet tikai tāp
Tabniss
Jan 03, 2016 Tabniss rated it really liked it
Wie immer bei Sarah Lark ein spannender historischer Roman voller Ereignisse,Widrigkeiten, Drama und Liebe. Liebe zum Land der Maori und Liebe unter den Protagonisten.
Tina
Jan 30, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen and Micheal grow up together in Ireland, fall in love, want to leave Ireland together, because of the potato famine and immigrate to America where they won't be bound by the English Caste system. They pin all of their hopes and dreams of being together and the freedom that they will have in America.

When Kathleen becomes pregnant, without being wed, her family urges her to marry another--Micheal has been convicted of stealing grain and is shipped off to the Penal colony in Australia. Rel
MK
Apr 05, 2016 MK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Sigh .... Done. Fabulous, I am falling in love with New Zealand, through the work of Sarah Lark (historical novels) and Rosalind James (romance novels). Truly, it seems like a one-of-a-kind, fabulous place.
Linda Lowry
Feb 16, 2016 Linda Lowry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thrilled when I received this book as a giveaway from Goodreads. From reading the jacket and author biography, I noted that the author is a native German speaker and that the book is a translation from the native German. I was relieved to find that the translator did an excellent job and the language flowed beautifully.
The story begins in Ireland as a love story set during the potato famine between Michael and Mary Kathleen. It is a love that is not destined to be as Michael is deported to
Yadira Meredith
Definitely Sarah Lark disappointed me with this book. In other of her books I didn't want the end, but with this is only that I wanted
Luis Loyola
Jun 22, 2014 Luis Loyola rated it really liked it
muy entretenido como todo lo de Sarah Lark, esperando las siguientes entregas de esta nueva trilogía
Anne
Dec 17, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sarah Lark.
Always like Sarah Lark's style and writings - amazing follower to her first trilogy!
Dácil González
Maravillosa como todas las novelas de Lark
Carrie L
Mar 09, 2016 Carrie L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this author so I was thrilled when i finally found more of her books. "In the Land of the Long White Cloud" and the following books will always be my favorite by her but this one was still very thrilling. I really enjoy her style of writing, the intertwined plot lines, and how strong the female characters are! I also love the historical settings, fun to learn about a new place and a different time. If you are looking for a change of pace, I would definitely suggest this book/autho ...more
Tina Naylor
Feb 03, 2016 Tina Naylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to read this book for free on Net Galley and I'm so glad I did. I really got attached to the characters, picked out my favorites. I'm hoping there is a book #2 as there is definitely an opening at the end. Quite an adventure in this one. Frontiersman and Gold diggers, Shepherds and Natives. Good read, but seemed to take forever to get to the end, but ended to soon. Thanks for the opportunity to read this one. I'll be buying more from this author. I put my reviews on Amazon, Good Reads ...more
Iris
Jan 11, 2016 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa
My first book by this author, but definitely not my last!!! Very good writing, strong characterization, great setting!

The beginning of "The Gold of the Maori" takes place in Ireland and London in the mid-19th-century, but the story quickly moves to Australia and New Zealand as we follow the lives of three people: 19-year-old Michael who is sentenced to 7 years work in Australia after stealing a few sacks of grain to produce illegal whisky; his 17-year-old girlfriend Kathleen, pregnant and left
LIVE.LOVE.READ
Mar 29, 2012 LIVE.LOVE.READ rated it it was ok
Kathleen und Michael wollen Irland verlassen. Das heimlich verlobte Paar schmiedet Pläne von einem besseren Leben in der neuen Welt. Aber all ihre Träume finden ein jähes Ende: Michael wird als Rebell verurteilt und nach Australien verbannt. Die schwangere Kathleen muss gegen ihren Willen einen Viehhändler heiraten und mit ihm nach Neuseeland auswandern. Michael gelingt schließlich mit Hilfe der einfallsreichen Lizzie die Flucht aus der Strafkolonie, und das Schicksal verschlägt die beiden ebenf ...more
Sandra
Die Geschichte spielt 1846 bis 1864.Schauplaetze sind Anfangs Irland und England,spaeter Tasmanien (frueher Van-Diemens-Land genannt) und vor allen Dingen natuerlich verschiedene Orte in Neuseeland. Man erfaehrt sehr viel ueber die Geschichte Neuseelands, angefangen durch die ersten Siedler, Walfang, Schafzucht, Goldrausch und natuerlich auch das Leben der Maori. Erzaehlt wird die Geschichte durch die Sicht von drei verschiedenen Personen. Michael und Kathleen ein junges Liebespaar aus Irland, d ...more
Eyvonne
Apr 28, 2016 Eyvonne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, this book ambles through the story like a long walk on a vibrant spring day. Before I reached the end, I would have rated this book 3 stars. However, the closing was unsatisfying. Disappointingly, the most interesting thread of the book resolves without much description. The most interesting romantic story line, in my opinion, was described only vaguely. In such a long novel, an additional 2 - 3 pages could have been devoted to their "happy ending".

I enjoy novels where the romantic
Ramona Granger
Feb 03, 2016 Ramona Granger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting somewhat historical novel and plot; takes place mid-century Ireland, then the prisons of Australia, and the nascent country New Zealand. I recommend reading an excerpt of the plot. The women in this story face many challenges out of their control, but are strong and rise above the unfairness and cruelty of poverty. Some romance. The characters seem so real. Enjoyed it very much.
Joy
Mar 08, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book took a while to get going but I kept at it. I became invested in each of the people's stories and found the ending satisfying.

This story had what I like about historical fiction, people I want to get to know, places where lives are different than mine, and details about how they live. While it might have been a little more detailed it, made me glad I live in the modern world.
Marissa Crawford
Mar 26, 2016 Marissa Crawford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sadly, I did not finish this book. It started off fantastic and I couldn't put it down. Then, about halfway through it just became a slog. The plot stopped moving and the characters weren't being developed any further. And I just couldn't get through any more of the book.
patricia w wiktorek
Great fun

The story is fun, but fate plays with the characters taking us to the end. Lizzie has a rough road to follow, but has the intelligence to finally overcome all. We meet the Maori people of New Zealand. Claire and Mary Katherine become good friends. Michael has to let go of the past. The bad guy is almost too bad to be believed. Ian. When the author mixed these people up we have a fun, tragic,interesting tale.
Nicole Romero chaidez
BEST READ I've had in a long time. I LOVE how descriptive the author was of both character and environments. It was hard to carry on with every day obligations knowing that there was so much more to read. The length of the book was wonderful as well; it's the kind of story you just don't want to end. Loved every word from beginning to end!!
Kathleen
Jan 28, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a great book for a blizzard! it's well written and the characters of Kathleen and Michael are very sympathetic. I've been to both AUstralia an d New Zealand so appreciated reading about the early days. thanks to netgalley for the ARC. Thumbs up!
Amanda Farrell
I enjoyed the historical elements of the book but overall I was disappointed. I loved the In the Land of the Long White Cloud trilogy and was really looking forward to this book but the love stories all fell flat.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 22, 2016 06:13AM
  • Der Himmel über Darjeeling
  • Sturmzeit
  • Der dunkle Thron (Waringham, #4)
  • Der Duft der Kaffeeblüte
  • Die Totengräberin
  • Matilda's Last Waltz
  • The Scarlet Kimono
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • All My Sisters
  • Dezembersturm (Trettin, #1)
  • De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe
  • Die Templerin (Die Templerin, #1)
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • The Settlers (The Australians, #2)
  • Schnitt
Christiane Gohl (* 1958 in Bochum) ist eine deutsche Autorin. Gohl veröffentlicht ihre Romane auch unter den Pseudonymen Ricarda Jordan, Sarah Lark und Elisabeth Rotenberg. Neben Kinder- und Jugendbüchern rund um das Thema Pferde veröffentlicht Gohl auch Romane für Erwachsene.

Sie studierte Pädagogik und arbeitete als Fachjournalistin und Werbetexterin. Neben ihrer Tätigkeit als Autorin betreibt Go
More about Sarah Lark...

Kauri-Trilogie (3 books)
  • Im Schatten des Kauribaums (Kauri-Trilogie, #2)
  • Die Tränen der Maori-Göttin (Kauri-Trilogie, #3)