Start by marking “Heart of a Soldier” as Want to Read:
Heart of a Soldier

Heart of a Soldier

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In February, when author and Pulitzer Prize–winning reporter James B. Stewart wrote about the life and death of World Trade Center hero Rick Rescorla in The New Yorker, his brief article evoked an international outpouring of interest. In this book, Stewart unfolds the full story of Rescorla's astonishing career, from his British military service to his valor during the Vie ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of a Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of a Soldier

Brian
Aug 23, 2007 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For Anyone Who Dearly Loves Someone
Yes I realize the recommendation statement seems a bit vague. And maybe on the surface seems to not fit the title. But I assure you that is at the core of this book.

Rick Rescorla was a war hero in Vietnam in the Ia Drang Valley. Made famous with the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" later adapted into a movie "We Were Soldiers." He was actually depicted in the movie but more like a "composite" character. Rescorla would later work for Morgan Stanley as their security chief and would actually
Pete daPixie
Jan 26, 2012 Pete daPixie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: history-u-s
'Time' rated this one 'The best nonfiction of 2002. Who am I to argue. A testament to Rick Rescorla, a great son of Kernow. 'Heart of a Soldier' I read in a day, unable to put it down. Not just an engaging read but truly inspiring too. I highly recommend this book not just for it's gripping accounts of combat and valour in Vietnam but the many other aspects of profound truths this story contains. A tale of extreme courage, comradeship, friendship, love, sacrifice and the human spirit.
James B. St
Anna
I came across this audiobook at the library when I was browsing for audiobooks for my husband. I have heard of this story many years ago and was interested to learn more. I truly enjoyed this story, even though it took my emotions on a roller coaster ride. I cried, I was enraged, I was inspired, but mostly I was truly proud to be an American. It is so comforting to know that our world is filled with such wonderful people yet so tragic to lose them to such senseless acts. What a truly inspirating ...more
Chris
This reads like something out of Kipling's "The Man Who Would Be King" and that work is frequently cited by the two men in this book. Although principally the story of Rick Rescora it's also the story of his wife, Susan, and best friend, Dan Hill. Indeed both these men live the lives of stalwart, fearless, and eccentric Victorian soldiers except it's the Cold War and they are fighting for the USA and themselves. Stewart begins this biography in an unconventional manner and weaves back and forth ...more
Hai Quan
It is amazing how American people who are enjoying a higher living standard are totally ignorant about how that higher living standard came about.They did not understand that without their government neocolonialism, the American Empire ( also known as GREAT SATAN ) would not be able to maintain and improve their higher national GDP .This truth is as old as the earth itself.All nations from the early time of human history until now have been trying to expanse their national borders, or to say it ...more
Annk
I had finished We Were Soldiers Once...and Young, and I was very interested in knowing more about Cyril 'Rick' Rescorla, one of the soldiers who had been in the Ia Drang valley. I googled his name, and was thrilled that this book had been written about him. After everything he survived in Vietnam to die while making sure others got to safety on 9/11, I was stunned. I have read many books about Vietnam and this is by far the best. Wow what a story. I will keep this book forever, and when I need a ...more
Robin
I was very surprised on how much I enjoyed this book. The life of those two soldiers has helped me understand both sides of war. As it was leading up to 9/11 I knew it was going to end as a tear jerker. With the 13th year anniversary being tomorrow I just felt I needed to finish it today. I highlighted a number of quotes and sections, but the one with the most truth was when Rescorla told Susan repeatedly, “The real heroes are dead.” And Rick Rescorla is one of those heroes that we need to remem ...more
Brinton
I picked this up based on my love for Stewart's Den of Thieves. This was a pretty good read but not in the same league. Nonetheless if you love non-fiction war it's a worthwhile read.

The characters involved are extraordinary... it is good that their stories are told. That said, I found the war years and their lead-up much more compelling than the post-war years and the Sep 11 sections. Having lived through Sep 11 and been there the morning of I was expecting to be more moved by this part of the
David Devine
An excellent book detailing the life and experiences of Rick Rescorla as well as his life-long friend Dan Hill. From the blood-soaked fields of Vietnam to the last moments of the Twin Towers, this book conveys what a true hero is.
Jon Tupper
My reviews are trite and cliched. Ok. This man's life is utterly amazing. A survivor of the battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Viet Nam, he and a friend tried to talk to the powers that be about the threats to security in NYC. They were impolitely rebuffed. He, as head of security for Morgan Stanley at the World Trade Centers, he created a security operations plan that was 'way outside the box', yet oh so simple and based on his combat experience. An enthralling read.
Tropean

I really wanted to give this one a 3.5 rating. As a story of soldiers in Vietnam, it's a 4. The September 11th aspects are a 3, and the romantic elements are probably less than that. One of the sad ironies of the story is that it took the 9/11 attacks to bring to light the astonishing heroism which took place in Vietnam.

Very much recommended as a story of soldiers in combat.
Lawrence
I love this book. It's a true story and it is the only story that moved me to tears. Yeah, I cried, but I cried at the end of Rudy too. So, if you're the kind of person that wants to feel good about mankind, that wants to know that there are people who are normal but capable of being extraordinary, and if you want to read about a real hero, read this book.
Maureen Mahowald
I bought this book because it was advertised as telling the tale of a 9/11 hero. However, I found the parts describing the hero's life up until 9/11 the most interesting part. The best is perhaps, the story of a life-long friendship. The book would have been improved if it did not include as much detail of his wife's life.
Aldean
An unexpectedly moving (to this jaded reader at least)account of a remarkable warrior's life that ended in the collapse of the World Trade Center. From the villages of cornwall to the bush country of Rhodesia to the jungles of Viet Nam, a well-told tale of courage and habitual heroism.
Michele Dunn
Such a great book. It reads as if you are talking with the person. Though a lot of military talk, it keeps you drawn in and you don't feel lost. I have such a great respect for those who are like these men. I will never understand what drives them but I am certainly thankful.
This is a story of a man who gave more than the life he had to everything he did. He fought on many levels for the freedoms we have as Americans, serving and protecting even after his death. It will make you laugh, cry and think. A great read.
Bob
This will rip your heart out on more than one page. I could not put this down...which is odd for me. It is the story of Rick Rescorla, soldier, mercenary at times, and war hero -- who saved 2,700 people on 9/11 only to lose his own life.
Chad
The story of what Rick Rescorla did at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 (and in the years previous to prepare) is incredible. This book as a whole (which tells the story of his entire life) is an interesting look at his background.
Bailey
This is one of the best books I've ever read in my life. It has had a profound effect on my life and I've read it more than once. I picked it up by accident and I am so glad I did. I learned a lot about the Vietnam War and 9/11.
Joslins
Follows one man's journey as he heroically served in Viet Nam, came home, and served here and finally ended up serving in the Twin Towers where once again he was a hero as he gave his life trying to help others escape.
Nola
Wow, this is an excellently paced books. The only exception - the digression to Susan Greer, which, given the explanation of the book, was not information that I was seeking. Otherwise, fast paced and a great read.
Kimball Ungerman
This is the story of a career soldier who became the source of survival for 2,700 workers in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. The book recounts his life ending with the heroic deeds on 9/11.
David Stoots
Terrific story of the life of a very interesting man, his friendship with a fellow soldier, and the woman who "completed" him during his later years.
Beverly
This was recommended by a speaker (Charlie Baker) at an event held on 9/11/09 - this vet was in one of the towers and saved a lot of people on 9/11.
Tara
This book is an excellent portrayal of friendships and love affairs during hard times such as September 11th. Truly a touching book.
Toni
Enjoyed the book. Took me a while to get into it because of all the details about their lives and what made them who they were.
Vaioleti 'aho
I have learnt from this book to be brave in what we do and be there for your friends when they needs you.
Matt Phillips
This was an excellent read that is bound and determined to bring a tear to even the manliest guy.
Anne
This book is about lasting friendships forged under stressful conditions, like war.
Diane
You won't be able to read this without a box of kleenex. SELFLESS man!
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • A Time to Stand
  • The Beast: A Journey Through Depression
  • Among the Heroes
  • Unbound: Breaking Free of Life's Entanglements
  • Letters of C. S. Lewis (Edited, with a Memoir, by W. H. Lewis)
  • American Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center
  • Longitudes and Attitudes: The World in the Age of Terrorism
  • Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams
  • Trees Tall As Mountains (The Journey Mama Writings: Book 1)
  • The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
James Stewart is a modern-day muckraking journalist, covering everything from malpractice to fraud and law.

While at The Wall Street Journal, Stewart won a Pulitzer Prize in 1988 for his reporting on the stock market crash and insider trading. Stewart is a graduate of Harvard Law School and DePauw University. He lectures frequently on values and ethics in American business and politics. He is a mem
More about James B. Stewart...
Den of Thieves Disneywar Blind Eye: The Terrifying Story Of A Doctor Who Got Away With Murder Tangled Webs: How False Statements are Undermining America: From Martha Stewart to Bernie Madoff Blood Sport: The Truth Behind the Scandals in the Clinton White House