Start by marking “Thor: Ages of Thunder” as Want to Read:
Thor: Ages of Thunder

Thor: Ages of Thunder (Thor: Marvel Comics)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  576 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Collects:
* Thor: Ages of Thunder One-Shot
* Thor: Reign of Blood One-Shot
* Thor: Man of War One-Shot
* Thor: God-Sized Special

As the Mighty Thor reclaims his rightful spot in the Marvel Pantheon, we join Matt Fraction and Patrick Zircher as they examine the triumphs and tragedies that have befallen the God of Thunder across the eons. As all the things he holds dearest are th
Published May 13th 2009 by Marvel Comics (first published April 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor

Nicolo Yu
Read the original one-shots individually and digitally.

When Marvel Comics brought Thor back after a long hiatus some years back, the character enjoyed a mild renaissance. The new monthly series by J. M. Straczynski and Olivier Coipel was doing so well that Marvel released several one-shots featuring the Thunder God by an up and coming writer. The one-shots had a more mythic setting than the regular series and featured a younger and supremely arrogant Thor.

That writer was Matt Fraction and his wo
Jesse A
A solid well told series of one shots. All except the special. Seemed so out of place. All in all a good book.
Sesana
Mar 12, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mythology, comics
Ages of Thunder collects what were once four single issues. The first three, Ages of Fire, Reign of Blood, and Man of War, retell Norse mythology with the Marvel version of the gods. Mostly, it's a series of short myths that all feature Thor, and end with Thor's banishment to Midgard. I have to say, Fraction really nailed the style of a teller of epic tales here. One could very easily read these issues over a flagon of mead, pausing to quaff at key moments. Granted, I'm not as familiar with the ...more
Feather Mista
Apr 13, 2015 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios
Recommended to Feather by: Autores y edición
En un principio leí sólo la primera historia, que le da título al tomo, y estuvo bastante bien... Después me di una panzada de Reinado de sangre, Dios guerrero, Vida y muerte de Skurge el verdugo y El juicio de Thor y me parecieron bastante buenas (sobre todo en la parte visual), pero ninguna me recontraenganchó, ni siquiera la de Milligan, que acá hace una labor correcta pero lejos de sus grandes obras de autor.
Y hablando de autores grossos,me pregunto cómo quedaría una historieta de Thor escr
Ghofran
Apr 10, 2014 Ghofran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want young douche Thor done right read Thor God of Thunder. This series is super OOC for everyone, not surprising seeing that it's Fraction. He's a great writer, but he's not the man for Thor and Asgardians. His run on the Mighty Thor still gives me a headache because it was such a mess and it ruined so much history and what happened in JMS's run. I'm getting off topic, but my point is that he can't write Thor.
W.T.
Jun 11, 2010 W.T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awesome. That's it. It's A-W-S-O-M-E! Fraction captured the language of the gods. Beautiful story telling.

I don't want to NOT mention the illustrations and their magnificence! I changes from story to story, but still compliments the writing.
Brennin Weiswerda
Apr 28, 2014 Brennin Weiswerda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Beautifully illustrated, although there were a lot of female characters and it would have been nice if any of them had been wearing more than a barely-there bikini.

The story was very focused on the relationship between Thor and Odin--their mutual frustration (which isn't quite explained enough; Thor seems fed up with the Gods' cavalier attitudes towards the other worlds, Odin treats him like an insensitive brat).

The scale of it--the rain of fire when Odin's angered, the battles that last forty
Jana
May 16, 2016 Jana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I must admit that I didn't quite enjoy either the story or the characters in this one, so I most likely won't continue on with the series.
Frans Karlsson
Mar 15, 2015 Frans Karlsson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-thor
A couple of stories about Thor and his life in Asgard. Really good graphics for most parts. Enjoyed the stories.
Silas
Jun 26, 2014 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting collection of occasionally related stories. The first few stories are adaptations of classic mythological stories, and then the final ones relate more to Marvel-specific mythology, first the genesis of Thor's time in Midgard, and then a story relating to Skurge, a character with which I was not familiar, but handily, the trade includes the original issue to which the story refers. It was enough of a taste to pique my interest in reading more older Thor stories, and in fol ...more
Aaron
Nov 16, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been thinking a lot about writers' bodies of work lately, and what they say about them. No one is ever perfect. No writer comes out of the gate, guns blazing, and then keeps those guns blazing forever. Even the best of the best have to fail, often publicly, and I think it's in the level of failure that you really get a sense for a writer. I say all this because Matt Fraction is one of my absolute favorite comics writers. He's imaginative while staying grounded, fully capable of playing with ...more
J'aime
Aug 03, 2013 J'aime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I worked my way through this collection, my initial impression was a great big, meh. Most of the stories in this book are loose reinterpretations of the original Norse myths. And one over-riding theme of them all is that NONE of the characters are likeable. Thor is not the noble hero fighting for justice on behalf of the innocent. He's a spoiled, arrogant bully who enjoys the death and destruction of battle; son of a cruel, despotic king. Loki is still the trickster, but most of the time he's ...more
Jared Millet
"Ages of Thunder" collects three extra-sized Thor specials published individually in 2008 which form a trilogy involving Loki getting up to shenanigans involving bartering away the Enchantress to various Frost Giant suitors. The first two read more as Loki stories in which Thor is merely the deus-ex-machina who shows up in the end to sort things out. In the third story things get interesting, as Thor is driven into a rage by the personal price he pays to clean up Asgard's messes and goes on a de ...more
Don
May 03, 2010 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This collection of Thor tales was a refreshing departure from the normal superhero sagas usually seen, as most of them are (loosely) based on well-known Norse myths. (That said, they're still adaptations through the filter of Marvel's version of Thor and the Asgardian mythos, so don't expect entirely faithful retellings.) Matt Fraction, who previously had been seen as a writer of street-level heroes in the vein of a Bendis or Brubaker, turns out to have a shockingly good grasp on what's needed i ...more
Sean
Mar 18, 2016 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic fans!
Matt Fraction's Thor is some of the best in the past 20 years! He has such a strong handle on Asgard and the "West Wing" like machinations that go on. The art, mostly by Patrick Zircher is spot on for the epic action that takes place here. The only thing keeping this from being a five sta review would be the jarring change in artistic styles in the Executioner tale. Overall, an amazing Thor collection!
Kat
Aug 10, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Four stars for the art, one for the writing. A**hole Thor is never going to be my fav, and Fraction's take on the god of thunder, and some of the Norse mythology (like the apples that keep the Asgardians ever young) is straight-up disgusting. When Enchantress is the most sympathetic character (and even her storyline is pretty squicky), that's a problem.
Brad
Nov 21, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
This attempt at an epic mythic that plays nice with the Marvel characterization of Thor and the Norse gods falls just a bit short. The art is pretty great across the board, though it's often fantasy-book-cover style pin-ups covered with a text narrative rather than actual storytelling. Matt Fraction comes up a little short in making these gods seem god-like. Most of their conflicts seem more petty than grand. However, there is a nice resolution to an overly bratty, morose Thor for most of the bo ...more
Adam
Feb 22, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mythology
This is a really good admixture of traditional Norse legends about Thor and the character as he has evolved in the Marvel Comics universe, with the emphasis on the former. Students of Scandinavian mythology will find plenty of deviations from the source material, but many of the episodes in this volume stay close to the spirit of the old tales. Thor is not the wise and empathetic hero he has become in the comics, but a violent and moody god of war who refuses to bend to anyone else's will.

A lot
des
Jul 17, 2014 des rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Great book

I was shocked at the great artwork and adult themed story lines. overall a great book and great addition for any thor fan..
Peter
Sep 23, 2010 Peter rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dim-witted teens from the 1950s
Want my one-word review? Here it is:

"Meh."

This really doesn't deserve two stars. But it's just not quite dreadful enough to rate only one. It almost was, but there was a slightly interesting section towards the end where they did some mildly amusing playing around with different art styles.

But in a fractional system, this one would get 1.51 stars at best. Ponderous, annoying, stupid characters and plots...it really felt like a throwback to the old days, when most comic books were being written f
Timothy Boyd
Good Thor story. Interesting plot and excellent art by Zircher, one of my favorite newer artists. Recommended
Sam Lonberg
Apr 13, 2014 Sam Lonberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and art. Loved it!
Dony Grayman
May 04, 2016 Dony Grayman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, ed-esp
Edición española, tomo único dentro del coleccionable Marvel Héroes.
Wingdings
Jul 06, 2012 Wingdings rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jedhua
While not quite as good as Straczynski's story, Ages of Thunder proved itself a worthy addition. Fraction took what seems to be classic Norse tales and retold them in an interesting and appealing way – which, on the surface, sounds difficult to achieve given the simplicity of the characters and plot. Somehow, Fraction makes it work. The art here is also easily good enough to do justice to the artwork in Straczynski's issues.
Loki
Jun 18, 2012 Loki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite graphic novels. The art and writing is fantastic. I'm sorry some people didn't see it as being as fantastic as I do but I (if you can't tell by my profile) am more than just a little into all things Asgard. I reread this book every so often and I enjoy it every time. It contains stories from Norse myth as well as the Marvel universe. Its a 5 star book in my opinion.
Rob
I loved it, all a comic about Thor could be in terms of incorporating Norse mythology with modern comic sensibility. Enchantress was rockin’, in the Avengers cartoon she always seems like a static villainess. Also, Loki seems fun, definitely must check out the comics where he plays more of a central role in the storyline.
Harry
Jun 17, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun collection of tales that starts out very strong, but peters out by the end. The first two-thirds pulls extensisvely from mythology and slowly turns into a modern Thor story. The last third or so left me scratching my head at first, because it doesn't really fit into the flow of tje rest of the book.
María Paula Castellano
La historia es muy entretenida, se aprende sobre algunos elementos de la mitología nórdica, Loki hace una que otra travesura y Thor se está convirtiendo en alguien muy arrogante para el gusto de Odín. EL ARTE DE ESTE COMIC ME ENCANTOOOOOOOOOOOOo es muy bello. Y bueno, me gustó bastante.
Oscar
Great cohesive storyline that felt genuine to the spirit of the original comic books as well as the myths that they're based on. Loved Thor's passive aggression- it was a nice change from the usual, though likeable bluster. Loki was well-done, and Odin was exceptionally badass.
  • Thor, Vol. 3
  • Thor: Latverian Prometheus
  • House of M: Civil War
  • Black Widow (2016-) #1
  • The Complete Frank Miller Spider-Man
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...

Thor: Marvel Comics (1 - 10 of 99 books)
  • Thor Epic Collection: The God of Thunder
  • Thor Epic Collection: War of the Pantheons
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor, Vol. 1
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 1
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 2
  • Thor: Tales of Asgard
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 3
  • Thor: World Engine
  • Thor: Son of Asgard (Thor: Son of Asgard, #1-12)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor, Vol. 2

“Nay, father.
Some of us have been killing giants today and aren't in the mood to have a tea party.
- Thor, God of Thunder”