Thor: Ages of Thunder

Thor: Ages of Thunder (Heróis Marvel #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Collects:
* Thor: Ages of Thunder One-Shot
* Thor: Reign of Blood One-Shot
* Thor: Man of War One-Shot
* Thor: God-Sized Special

As the Mighty Thor reclaims his rightful spot in the Marvel Pantheon, we join Matt Fraction and Patrick Zircher as they examine the triumphs and tragedies that have befallen the God of Thunder across the eons. As all the things he holds dearest are th...more
Published May 13th 2009 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Thor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor

Nicolo Yu
Read the original one-shots individually and digitally.

When Marvel Comics brought Thor back after a long hiatus some years back, the character enjoyed a mild renaissance. The new monthly series by J. M. Straczynski and Olivier Coipel was doing so well that Marvel released several one-shots featuring the Thunder God by an up and coming writer. The one-shots had a more mythic setting than the regular series and featured a younger and supremely arrogant Thor.

That writer was Matt Fraction and his wo...more
Sesana
Ages of Thunder collects what were once four single issues. The first three, Ages of Fire, Reign of Blood, and Man of War, retell Norse mythology with the Marvel version of the gods. Mostly, it's a series of short myths that all feature Thor, and end with Thor's banishment to Midgard. I have to say, Fraction really nailed the style of a teller of epic tales here. One could very easily read these issues over a flagon of mead, pausing to quaff at key moments. Granted, I'm not as familiar with the...more
W.T.
Awesome. That's it. It's A-W-S-O-M-E! Fraction captured the language of the gods. Beautiful story telling.

I don't want to NOT mention the illustrations and their magnificence! I changes from story to story, but still compliments the writing.
Brennin Weiswerda
Beautifully illustrated, although there were a lot of female characters and it would have been nice if any of them had been wearing more than a barely-there bikini.

The story was very focused on the relationship between Thor and Odin--their mutual frustration (which isn't quite explained enough; Thor seems fed up with the Gods' cavalier attitudes towards the other worlds, Odin treats him like an insensitive brat).

The scale of it--the rain of fire when Odin's angered, the battles that last forty...more
Silas
This was an interesting collection of occasionally related stories. The first few stories are adaptations of classic mythological stories, and then the final ones relate more to Marvel-specific mythology, first the genesis of Thor's time in Midgard, and then a story relating to Skurge, a character with which I was not familiar, but handily, the trade includes the original issue to which the story refers. It was enough of a taste to pique my interest in reading more older Thor stories, and in fol...more
Jaime
As I worked my way through this collection, my initial impression was a great big, meh. Most of the stories in this book are loose reinterpretations of the original Norse myths. And one over-riding theme of them all is that NONE of the characters are likeable. Thor is not the noble hero fighting for justice on behalf of the innocent. He's a spoiled, arrogant bully who enjoys the death and destruction of battle; son of a cruel, despotic king. Loki is still the trickster, but most of the time he's...more
Jared Millet
"Ages of Thunder" collects three extra-sized Thor specials published individually in 2008 which form a trilogy involving Loki getting up to shenanigans involving bartering away the Enchantress to various Frost Giant suitors. The first two read more as Loki stories in which Thor is merely the deus-ex-machina who shows up in the end to sort things out. In the third story things get interesting, as Thor is driven into a rage by the personal price he pays to clean up Asgard's messes and goes on a de...more
Don
This collection of Thor tales was a refreshing departure from the normal superhero sagas usually seen, as most of them are (loosely) based on well-known Norse myths. (That said, they're still adaptations through the filter of Marvel's version of Thor and the Asgardian mythos, so don't expect entirely faithful retellings.) Matt Fraction, who previously had been seen as a writer of street-level heroes in the vein of a Bendis or Brubaker, turns out to have a shockingly good grasp on what's needed i...more
Ghofran
If you want young douche Thor done right read Thor God of Thunder. This series is super OOC for everyone, not surprising seeing that it's Fraction. He's a great writer, but he's not the man for Thor and Asgardians. His run on the Mighty Thor still gives me a headache because it was such a mess and it ruined so much history and what happened in JMS's run. I'm getting off topic, but my point is that he can't write Thor.
Brad
This attempt at an epic mythic that plays nice with the Marvel characterization of Thor and the Norse gods falls just a bit short. The art is pretty great across the board, though it's often fantasy-book-cover style pin-ups covered with a text narrative rather than actual storytelling. Matt Fraction comes up a little short in making these gods seem god-like. Most of their conflicts seem more petty than grand. However, there is a nice resolution to an overly bratty, morose Thor for most of the bo...more
Adam
This is a really good admixture of traditional Norse legends about Thor and the character as he has evolved in the Marvel Comics universe, with the emphasis on the former. Students of Scandinavian mythology will find plenty of deviations from the source material, but many of the episodes in this volume stay close to the spirit of the old tales. Thor is not the wise and empathetic hero he has become in the comics, but a violent and moody god of war who refuses to bend to anyone else's will.

A lot...more
des
Great book

Great book

I was shocked at the great artwork and adult themed story lines. overall a great book and great addition for any thor fan..
Peter
Sep 23, 2010 Peter rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dim-witted teens from the 1950s
Want my one-word review? Here it is:

"Meh."

This really doesn't deserve two stars. But it's just not quite dreadful enough to rate only one. It almost was, but there was a slightly interesting section towards the end where they did some mildly amusing playing around with different art styles.

But in a fractional system, this one would get 1.51 stars at best. Ponderous, annoying, stupid characters and plots...it really felt like a throwback to the old days, when most comic books were being written f...more
Sam Lonberg
Great story and art. Loved it!
Wingdings
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
The gods of Asgard are carnal and capricious. Their lives are filled with feasting and sex, and they only notice the plights of lesser beings if it directly affects their own lifestyles. Thor alone is not completely self-indulgent. When trouble comes to the nine homelands tied to the Yggdrasil, it is cold and brutal Thor who saves the day. But what would happen if Thor ever turned against the gods?
Loki
This is one of my favorite graphic novels. The art and writing is fantastic. I'm sorry some people didn't see it as being as fantastic as I do but I (if you can't tell by my profile) am more than just a little into all things Asgard. I reread this book every so often and I enjoy it every time. It contains stories from Norse myth as well as the Marvel universe. Its a 5 star book in my opinion.
Rob
I loved it, all a comic about Thor could be in terms of incorporating Norse mythology with modern comic sensibility. Enchantress was rockin’, in the Avengers cartoon she always seems like a static villainess. Also, Loki seems fun, definitely must check out the comics where he plays more of a central role in the storyline.
Harry
A fun collection of tales that starts out very strong, but peters out by the end. The first two-thirds pulls extensisvely from mythology and slowly turns into a modern Thor story. The last third or so left me scratching my head at first, because it doesn't really fit into the flow of tje rest of the book.
María Paula Castellano
La historia es muy entretenida, se aprende sobre algunos elementos de la mitología nórdica, Loki hace una que otra travesura y Thor se está convirtiendo en alguien muy arrogante para el gusto de Odín. EL ARTE DE ESTE COMIC ME ENCANTOOOOOOOOOOOOo es muy bello. Y bueno, me gustó bastante.
E
Great cohesive storyline that felt genuine to the spirit of the original comic books as well as the myths that they're based on. Loved Thor's passive aggression- it was a nice change from the usual, though likeable bluster. Loki was well-done, and Odin was exceptionally badass.
Jin
"Not that impressive. Typical if it were not for the art. Sad to say that I'm still short of having a great Thor graphic novel. Nevertheless another nice collection of mine."
Justinthunderliger
Matt Fraction made me care about and like a character that I previously had no interest in whatsoever. Great art, great use of changing artists as a plot device.
Elizabeth
Matt Fraction is one of the best writers in comics. This book revived my interest and enthusiasm for the character as much as Chris Hemsworth did.
Brian
This book starts as an excellent retelling of Norse mythology with wonderful illustrations but somehow wanders off-course by the end.
Will Cooper
Good but not as in depth as Straczynski's take on Thor. A fun tantrum story about the God of Thunder.
Adam
Mar 11, 2010 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
Kinda disappointed by the last story, but it was entertaining. It's Thor after all.
Frank Taranto
Pretty art and OK stories made this a fun read, but nothing really stood out.
J.A.
Nice to see some old school Norse mythology given the graphic treatment.
David Press
Like Orson Welles wrote a comic book. Just pure Ice Giant brain-smashing fun.
  • Thor, Volume 3
  • Spider-Man: Big Time
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art...more
More about Matt Fraction...
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet

“Nay, father.
Some of us have been killing giants today and aren't in the mood to have a tea party.
- Thor, God of Thunder”