Start by marking “Okimono Kimono” as Want to Read:
Okimono Kimono

Okimono Kimono

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Here's an exciting and charming addition to the CLAMP collection of works! CLAMP artist Mokona loves the art of traditional Japanese kimono. In fact, she designs kimono and kimono accessories herself and shares her love in Okimono Kimono, a fun and lavishly illustrated book full of drawings and illustrations, interviews (including an interview with Ami of the J-pop duo Puf ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Dark Horse Manga (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Okimono Kimono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Okimono Kimono

Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it
If you are familiar with the CLAMP artist Mokona, you'll know that she's got a fetish for specific articles of clothing. As such, it is entirely appropriate that she create this lovingly illustrated pictorial guide to some of her favorite kimono designs. There's even lots of bonus extra material to please even the most picky of fans!

I have to admit, the pictures & artwork in this are very well done. CLAMP's designs & the gorgeous pictures really make this book shine. It's just unfortunat
fairywine
This is just an overall fun read. A very modern take on kimono and kimono wearing, all from Mokona (of CLAMP fame!)'s personal collection. It's really interesting to see the variety and interpretations she has, and most the book is arranged by kimono for a particular event (museum, concert, park, etc). I also liked the custom kimono designs she painted herself. It was very cool to see the process from start to finish, and of course the end results are so beautiful. Very much recommended, and def ...more
Jess
Mar 25, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: CLAMP fans, fashionistas
Shelves: manga
Mostly a lookbook of kimono outfits either designed or assembled by Mokona. The intro lays out Mokona's desire to spread the love of kimono's after she herself made an effort to wear them daily. Throughout the book we are shown kimono Mokona designed, as well as many lovely antique kimono she owns, and a large assortment of acessroies and dressing tips - though there is no section on how to dress yourself in a kimono. Though Mokona may want to spread the kimono-lovin', this is not beginners guid ...more
Suzanne
Jan 03, 2016 Suzanne rated it liked it
Second Kimon book in two days. Each has something interesting to teach but this one was just OK. I liked learning about Mokono's design process and reading her interview w/ her go-to kimono man. Otherwise, this book just skims the surface of kimono styling.
Grant&Mimi
Aug 25, 2014 Grant&Mimi rated it it was amazing
Full of ideas and (of course) engaging visuals that render a kaleidoscopic view of the many aspects of modern retro-style kimono wearing. I'm new to wearing yukata and kimono as a hobby and I'm enjoying the book as much for the feel, inspiration and attitude as I am the information. If you like Kimono姫, GoHime and the new retro kimono-wearing style or Mori and Dolly Kei you may enjoy this. The Book of Kimono and The New Kimono are good to actually learn to wear kimono, this one will help give yo ...more
Simone
Sep 29, 2010 Simone rated it really liked it
I love the Clamp style of drawing manga, particularly the one artist (Mokona, there are actually four women who draw as a group) who does lovely textile work in her art. This book is basically about her obsession with kimono and other textiles and her drawings of kimono and such. Since I am rather obsessed with kimono and kimono culture and I liked her art in manga, I decided to buy this book...basically for the art.
Adriana
Feb 21, 2013 Adriana rated it did not like it
Not at all what I expected it to be. While I was looking for something with a bit more information on kimonos and their different aspects, Okimono Kimono is pretty much Mokona’s notes on her own kimonos and her experiences with them.
The illustrations are gorgeous (of course) and the outfit ideas are pretty original, but there really isn’t anything in the book to make it worth reading.
Bianca Woods
Jul 25, 2010 Bianca Woods rated it it was ok
I'd actually give this a 2.5.

The idea of exploring kimono from a fashion perspective is interesting, but unfortunately not particularly well executed here. The book is divided into a lot of disjointed subsections that never actually flow into each other.

It's worth taking a look at... but perhaps not worth buying.
Kerry
Sep 23, 2010 Kerry rated it it was ok
I found myself just really looking at the pictures rather than reading the text. On top of that the large pictures depicting her designs at the beginning are all across the crease and you just can't see the kimono very well.
Heather
Sep 20, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
The only negative thing I can say is that the format should have been larger! Especially for the art shots, a lot of detail was lost in the fold of the book.
Annette
Oct 23, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
A beautiful photo collection with sketches and essays from Mokona (of manga mega group CLAMP) exploring the art of kimono.
Smellsofbikes
Feb 04, 2011 Smellsofbikes rated it liked it
An odd, beautiful book about making kimonos, including celebrity interviews and an original kimono-oriented manga.
Snow
Aug 02, 2010 Snow rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
reviewing for Booklist
Sarah Glader
Sarah Glader rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2016
Serene
Serene rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
Sarah Hayes
Sarah Hayes rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
May 27, 2016
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Cassie Pearson
Cassie Pearson is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2016
Ghostflower
Ghostflower marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Yeidi
Yeidi is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2016
Louisa
Louisa rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Adele
Adele marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016