Start by marking “Okimono Kimono” as Want to Read:
Okimono Kimono

Okimono Kimono

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Here's an exciting and charming addition to the CLAMP collection of works! CLAMP artist Mokona loves the art of traditional Japanese kimono. In fact, she designs kimono and kimono accessories herself and shares her love in Okimono Kimono, a fun and lavishly illustrated book full of drawings and illustrations, interviews (including an interview with Ami of the J-pop duo Puf ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Dark Horse Comics (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Okimono Kimono, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Okimono Kimono

Chibineko
If you are familiar with the CLAMP artist Mokona, you'll know that she's got a fetish for specific articles of clothing. As such, it is entirely appropriate that she create this lovingly illustrated pictorial guide to some of her favorite kimono designs. There's even lots of bonus extra material to please even the most picky of fans!

I have to admit, the pictures & artwork in this are very well done. CLAMP's designs & the gorgeous pictures really make this book shine. It's just unfortunat
Jess
Mar 25, 2013 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CLAMP fans, fashionistas
Shelves: manga
Mostly a lookbook of kimono outfits either designed or assembled by Mokona. The intro lays out Mokona's desire to spread the love of kimono's after she herself made an effort to wear them daily. Throughout the book we are shown kimono Mokona designed, as well as many lovely antique kimono she owns, and a large assortment of acessroies and dressing tips - though there is no section on how to dress yourself in a kimono. Though Mokona may want to spread the kimono-lovin', this is not beginners guid ...more
Grant&Mimi
Full of ideas and (of course) engaging visuals that render a kaleidoscopic view of the many aspects of modern retro-style kimono wearing. I'm new to wearing yukata and kimono as a hobby and I'm enjoying the book as much for the feel, inspiration and attitude as I am the information. If you like Kimono姫, GoHime and the new retro kimono-wearing style or Mori and Dolly Kei you may enjoy this. The Book of Kimono and The New Kimono are good to actually learn to wear kimono, this one will help give yo ...more
Simone
I love the Clamp style of drawing manga, particularly the one artist (Mokona, there are actually four women who draw as a group) who does lovely textile work in her art. This book is basically about her obsession with kimono and other textiles and her drawings of kimono and such. Since I am rather obsessed with kimono and kimono culture and I liked her art in manga, I decided to buy this book...basically for the art.
Adriana
Not at all what I expected it to be. While I was looking for something with a bit more information on kimonos and their different aspects, Okimono Kimono is pretty much Mokona’s notes on her own kimonos and her experiences with them.
The illustrations are gorgeous (of course) and the outfit ideas are pretty original, but there really isn’t anything in the book to make it worth reading.
Bianca Woods
I'd actually give this a 2.5.

The idea of exploring kimono from a fashion perspective is interesting, but unfortunately not particularly well executed here. The book is divided into a lot of disjointed subsections that never actually flow into each other.

It's worth taking a look at... but perhaps not worth buying.
Kerry
I found myself just really looking at the pictures rather than reading the text. On top of that the large pictures depicting her designs at the beginning are all across the crease and you just can't see the kimono very well.
Heather
The only negative thing I can say is that the format should have been larger! Especially for the art shots, a lot of detail was lost in the fold of the book.
Annette
A beautiful photo collection with sketches and essays from Mokona (of manga mega group CLAMP) exploring the art of kimono.
Smellsofbikes
An odd, beautiful book about making kimonos, including celebrity interviews and an original kimono-oriented manga.
Snow
reviewing for Booklist
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Chelsi Williams
Chelsi Williams is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Naomi Moffitt
Naomi Moffitt marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Aug 24, 2014
Stephen Fung
Stephen Fung marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Tasha Birckhead
Tasha Birckhead marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014