The Myth of Alzheimer's: What You Aren't Being Told About Today's Most Dreaded Diagnosis

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is a call to arms to re-evaluate the way we think about and deal with Alzheimers disease.
Audio, 7 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of Alzheimer's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of Alzheimer's

Matthew Gatheringwater
This is a dangerous and evil book.

Whitehouse starts with a premise that is supported by facts: Alzehimer's and dementia are terms of art rather than precise medical conditions, and what we label disease is often a product of cultural expectations of aging. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he goes much further, making claims that are not validated by research.

For example, the author sees dementia as a kind of spiritual fulfillment--in a vague, "I'm not a Buddhist, but I integrate his wisdom into...more
Jim
Co-authored with Daniel George, Whitehouse expresses his opinion that Alzheimer's isn't truly a disease; the well-known symptoms are caused by an aging brain. The two of them discuss the original naming as well as pharmaceutical products currently being prescribed and the ill effect it has had on patients. The inevitable loss of brain functioning would be better served (they feel) through diet, exercise, reduction of environmental exposures as well as stress, and participating in vital activitie...more
D
Powerful book by a top expert. Relax about so-called Alzheimer's. If it scares you, you'll feel so much better after reading this. If you're old, pass it on to your kids.
Annette
An excellent book for anyone with aging parents or someone aging themselves. It challenges the notion that Alzheimer's is always a death sentence and challenges the urge to "label and classify" people. It recognizes that cognitive decline is a part of life and challenges people (caretakers and elderly alike) to think out of the box for ways to make the most of what is left and to live without so much fear of the future.
Sally
A leading clinician and researcher makes a convincing case that Alzheimer's is a flawed, counter-productive diagnosis, a disease without a single cause or likely cure. He seeks to help people live in a preventative way and then deal with the challenges of an aging brain in life-affirming ways.
Natalie
I agree with most of his basic points -- but didn't really get why he kept trumpeting his point of view as so radical and new. Yes, maybe 15 years ago. It's an OK book but it wasn't what I was hoping for.
Jane
Jan 22, 2008 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in memory loss
Very interesting ideas relating to brain aging. To sum it up: mind over matter. If one and one's doctor has a positive attitude towards brain aging it can not be a death sentence.
Tory Wagner
Interesting book. Whitehouse is very full of himself, but he includes some good information. I especially liked the sections on preventive care.
Laurele
There is some good information here, despite the puzzling title. Much repetition, but I suppose that's needed in memory loss.
Mike
A very interesting and positive approach to brain aging, except for too much on the science and effects of prescriptions.
Nancy
I heard the author speak at the U of M. This book provides a controversial new way to think about brain aging.
Joyce
The information is current, but the author's voice is too arrogant for me.
James Tanner
Should be read by anyone concerned about Alzheimers
Nobody
Nobody marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Cheyenne Davis
Cheyenne Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Zippy Gizzardgirdle
Zippy Gizzardgirdle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Apr 14, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Javier Laurencena
Javier Laurencena marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Christian
Christian is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Concepts of Alzheimer Disease: Biological, Clinical, and Cultural Perspectives Dementia Treating Dementia: Do We Have a Pill for It? Successful Aging Through the Life Span: Intergenerational Issues in Health