Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams

Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"A lovely book." raved Anne Rivers Siddons about Mina, Jonatha Ceely's luminous debut novel. "Suspenseful...evocative...meticulouslyresearched," praised the" Boston Globe." Now Ceely returns to the tumultuous mid-nineteenth- century landscape and the world of an unforgettable Irish girl named Mina Pigot. Appealing to mind, sense, and emotion, Bread and Dreams is a sumptuou...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Delacorte Press (first published 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams Bread and Dreams

jessicamax stein
OMG, feminist historical novel with vivid characterization and realistic yet page-turning plot and tons of historical texture and detail. could not put it down. starts off 1848 on the boat to nyc, has a great big fabulous chunk in nyc, and then the main character goes and works on a boat on the erie canal! in drag!

a really great book, about all my favorite stuff. might not be quite as exciting to you if you don't share some of the same loves. but i LOOOVED it!

"When I found the place at last, an...more
Beth
Apr 18, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction-irish immigrants
Cover art & title drew me to this novel. The 19th century Irish heroine is bound for America aboard ship disguised as a boy. She is assistant to the ship's cook & journals her experiences in story format. The writing style/point of view is beautifully rendered so far. Can't wait to really dig into this novel.

This is a novel to savor. The simple, artful prose, engaging characters & historically accuracy & presentation is top shelf. I have reserved its predecessor: Mina at my local...more
Amy
I picked this book up because I was in the mood to read a love story. I was expecting the book to be a bit sappy, but it turned out to be a really good story with characters that I loved.

The book is written in journal style, which I was disappointed to discover. However, after the first few entries, the writing became very detailed and the journal style didn't bother me. It actually made the story move along quickly and added some suspense to the book.

The author did a great job developing charac...more
Lois
I really liked the journal format of this novel. It is the continuation of Mina's life in America.
Book Club book - I didn't expect to like this book and was honestly dreading it, but I was very wrong. I fell in love with the main character, Mina, and enjoyed living her life with her. My only regret is that I didn't realize this was a sequel. I would have preferred to have read the prequel, Mina, first. Even without having read that though, the author does a wonderful job of explaining the events leading up to the story.
Sheri Carsello
This is by far one of the favorite books I have read. I have thought a lot about this book off and on after I read it. It is written beautifully. The relationship between the two main characters--Mr. Searle and Mina--is done so well and developed so very carefully and slowly. I miss them now that I am not reading the book.
Really great story! Makes me want to read the first one for sure. I was truly surprised and honestly delighted by how much I enjoyed this tale of a woman trying to make her life work in a time and place that certainly wasn't trying to make it any easier. Really good story and very fast read.
Margi
Good, not great, historical fiction. Was quite enamored with Mina, her character was very well written. I also like how cooking brings alot of the characters together. I found the romances predictable, but, overlooking that, I enjoyed the historical story. ( )
Jacque Sherbak
Wonderfully written historical romantic fiction. I read this sequel first being unaware that there was a prequel "Mina." I did read the prequel; but, I found "Bread and Dreams" to be much more interesting--one of my all time favorite reads.
Linda
a sequel to Mina. I ordered it right away. I wanted to see what became of Mina and Mr. Serle after they left Ireland for America. I'm not waiting to see if there will be any more to this series.
Krysia
One word: Quaint. This is the sequel to her first book, Mina. I would recommend this to those who enjoy reading 18th-and 19th-century classics. Suitable for the YA crowd too.
G Gadus
A fabulous sequel to "Mina!"
Karissa
book club book, good read
Heather
Oct 31, 2008 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: book club
Shelves: fiction, 2007
Book was ok.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Teesa
Teesa marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Florence Slusarski
Florence Slusarski marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Jennifer Schlagel
Jennifer Schlagel marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013