Start by marking “Pastor Dad ” as Want to Read:
Pastor Dad

Pastor Dad

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Every dad is a pastor. The important thing is that he is caring for his flock well. This book by Pastor Mark Driscoll looks at the ways that a father can raise his children well.
Published June 18th 2009 by Re:Lit (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pastor Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pastor Dad

Jimmy
I am a big believer that the Bible clearly states that the man is the spiritual leader in the home. Mark Driscoll does a good job explaining what the Bible says about how dads are to lead and guide their children in the home.

God will hold the man of the home accountable for how he did or did not push his family to be more like Christ. A man should desire for his children to come to salvation and upon that moment begin leading them in their sanctification journey.

A man should also desire that his
John Gardner
This short book is basically an edited and updated transcript of one of Driscoll's sermons from 2001. In his direct and to-the-point style, Driscoll addresses several areas of fatherhood (inseparable from a father's role as husband), including a man's Biblical obligation to instruct his children in the Lord, cultivate his family's development in every area, provide for his family, and protect his family from their own sin as well as from the sins of others.

Driscoll's basic premise is that every
Peter Krol
Driscoll puts things much more strongly than I would. However, this book really challenged me as a father in many ways. Driscoll is skilled at giving both critical biblical principles and specific contemporary applications.

For example, Driscoll shows the importance of choosing one's wife wisely. Of course, once married, there's not much you can do. But too many people consider the initial choice to be a private affair, a matter of love, something for other people to watch but not advise on. Dris
Forrest Demman
If you are a dad and you aren't the spiritual leader of your household you are shirking your responsibility and need to step up. Read this book for practical and needed ideas on how to step up and fill the role God has put in place for you.
Kyle
A decent book. Mark makes some good challenges for dads to live up to, but I think sometimes Mark really muddies where God's Word stops and Mark's opinions begin. Sometimes while reading, I just hear a guy who has seen one way of doing things telling everyone else how they should be doing it.

When this book stepped back and dealt with principles of what a dad should do, it is great. But the book is tainted by sometimes being too specific and, thus, alienating or making it impractical for many.

Thi
Chris
Written in Driscoll's usual confrontational style that aims to either evoke atta-boys or disgust, this book encourages men to be good fathers by the only means Driscoll knows to solve any problem--encouraging hyper-masculine stereotype conformity by men and the confining of women to docility and the home. So while there is definitely a need for good fathers today, the answer is not to imitate the gender roles of the early first century CE or idealized 1950's family stereotypes.
Mark Wilson
Punchy and full of wisdom, and while many seem put off by Driscoll's style, this may be more of a sign of the necessity of being straight-forward and to the point. Many of these truths are those that fathers must hear, and for that to happen, they must be said plainly and at the risk of offence.
Bill
Jul 27, 2011 Bill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: family
This is a short, blunt, biblical booklet from Mark Driscoll on fatherhood. If you are a Christian Dad, google it, download it (free) and read it! You may not agree with it all (though I largely do) but Driscoll will certainly challenge you to lift your game either way.
Terry
I like most of this book. My biggest problem is how Mark generalizes and some of his opinions are quite ridiculous.

His thought and comments about "stay at dads" are down right laughable. Other than that, I did enjoy this book.
Jeff
Great, simple, some would say old-fashioned but Biblical advice on fatherhood. Mark's Proverb series featured a talk on men which is a must-listen to. I was encouraged by this book.
Eric Taylor
Great book for fathers. Short, quick read. Biblically sound and incredibly practical. I want every father in my church to read this book!
John Mark Pantana
Super easy read. Infamous blunt style of writing. Mostly agree, some areas, agree to disagree. Will revisit it when I actually have kids ;)
Joe
Good quick read. I'll be sure to re-read this occasionally to check that I'm going in the right direction as a dad.
Jeremy Anderson
Great godly wisdom and advice for dads but a little thin on deep truths. Not as much of a howto as a whyto.
Fred
Great little deal! Wake up call for Fathers to be ... well... Fathers! Points well taken!
Jonathan Labelle
Bon petit booklet qui parle aux papa!

Pas long, mais droit au but!
Ryan
Good, short book. I'm going to re-read it prior to having a kid!
Nathan Foy
Typical Driscoll, chock full of info, a few good insights.
Christopher Brehm
I found some helpful thoughts to implement in our family.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Tyrell Medders
Tyrell Medders marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Mark Kennedy
Mark Kennedy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Cameron Davis
Cameron Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Brad Goldman
Brad Goldman marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Joshua Matranga
Joshua Matranga marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Leaders Who Last
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Raising a Modern-Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Commentary on Galatians
  • Why Small Groups? Together Toward Maturity
  • Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself

Mark A. Driscoll is the founder and teaching pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, as well as the co-founder of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network where he also served as President for a short period. Driscoll continues to serve on the board of Acts 29. He has contributed to the "Faith and Values"
More about Mark Driscoll...
Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit) Death by Love: Letters from the Cross Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church