Start by marking “Teenage Mermaid” as Want to Read:
Teenage Mermaid

Teenage Mermaid

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,152 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Spencer almost drowns in a surfing accident when a sparkling, golden girl saves him with a kiss of life before she suddenly disappears. Where did this dream girl come from, and will she return?

Lilly rescues a boy from nearly drowning and dangerously steps out of her own watery world. Curious to explore this forbidden land, she's gotta find her handsome Earthdude.

A silver h
Published June 3rd 2003 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published June 1st 2003)

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsRising by Holly KellyIngo by Helen DunmoreThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Best mermaid books
312 books — 792 voters
Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
562 books — 847 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 26, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This was so cute! I wish there was more! It was such a quick and easy read. I totally recommend it if you want a quick and easy mermaid read. It's definitely for a younger audience since both of the main characters are 15. If you can get past that then this is such a cute read.
Kate
Jul 14, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
This is one of those books that I just stumbled upon at my local library. Schreiber is an author that I have been meaning to read, but with my TBR pile at least a mile long, her books have a bad tendency to get constantly pushed back in the pile. However, I was feeling I was in the mood for a fairy tale so I finally decided to give this book a try.

Teenage Mermaid is pretty much what I thought it would be. The plot focuses on Waterlilly (the mermaid) and Spencer (the Earthee) who happen to meet w
Nikki H
Sep 14, 2016 Nikki H rated it really liked it
This is a cute little mermaid inspired story and I enjoyed it
Em~Lost In A Dream~
I absolutly loved this book.Everthing about it.Really.Even though it's on the short side,it's worth reading.I re-read it so many times.I just love re-reading the story because you see the whole story unfold.Again and again.It doesn't get old for me.I read it as a paperback,despiet the what the edition says.It's such an old book for me.The cover is a little ripped,and many pages are bookmarked.For me,those are signs of a loved book.Two other signs is re-reading it over and over and wanting to buy ...more
Rachael foley
Uhhhhhhhhh.......Why? This book was so unbelievably predictable. Usually, I really like mermaid stories. This one....? No. I got through about the first 20 pages, got super bored, guessed what the ending would vaguely be like...and what do you know? Spot on! Except for one super cliche detail.....broken heart? Really? Broken hearts can be so romanticly tragic and perfect-if you do it a certain way. This one made me laugh because of it, at least. Some people probably like this book, so good for y ...more
Sabrina
Feb 07, 2013 Sabrina rated it did not like it
Oh mi DIOS!, esto es exactamente lo que una chica de 15 años NO DEBE LEER! POR FAVOR!! aiiish esto fue demasiado meloso, el principio estuvo bien, el problema fueron las ultimas 20 paginas! casi vomito con taaanta cursileria xD ademas de que a los 15 años no vas a encontrar el VERDADERO AMOR, o tu alma gemela o media naranja -como lo pongan-.
Ya pues si no te gusta las cosas empalagosas no leas este libro n.n
L
Dec 14, 2010 L rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
3 stars - YA Fantasy Romance

The pages looked a lot but actually, it took me few hours to finish it. This book tells about a forbidden love between human (Spencer) and a mermaid (Waterlily/Lily). A dude who loves to surf, got knocked off by his surfboard and nearly got drowned. Only then a mermaid, Lily, came to rescue his life but then a locket belonged to the mermaid was being pulled accidentally by Spencer. Since, she was afraid to being sent to Atlantic ocean, she risked her ocean life and ev
Debbie
Jan 06, 2008 Debbie rated it liked it
Cute love story between a rebellious teen mermaid and a hopelessly romantic human teen boy. They narrate alternating chapters.

Lilly rescues Spencer when he falls off his surfboard and nearly drowns. During the rescue, he grabs the necklace she is wearing. Since it is an heirloom that belongs to her mother that Lilly is not supposed to be wearing, she is desperate to get it back. Thanks to a potion from the sea witch, Lilly spends a glorious day with Spencer, but is having such a great time that
Lina
Jan 05, 2013 Lina rated it liked it
For me this one was on the young side of young adult. I usually enjoy YA books. But this one was a bit young for me.
It reminds me alot of the little mermaid. Every few minutes there was a parallel of some kind. So it really felt to me as though the Author wrote this with Little Mermaid in mind.
It was ok. I dont know, maybe its because it did feel so young, that it just didnt strike anything with me. It was just... ok. I read it all in under an hour, so its a short read. I couldent sleep and it
Claudia
May 14, 2011 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I adore mermaid tales, you all know this. This one was a modern teenager take on The Little Mermaid. A mermaid saves a surfer dude from drowning and then takes a potion to land and become human for awhile. Not the best story, but charming and warm. I liked the creative ideas of what life under the sea was like. I liked the way that the love between the surfer dude and the mermaid was described, very magical. But the story was too brief in the telling and too full of modern wannabe teenager langu ...more
Ever read a book that's so bad it's morbidly fascinating? That's how I felt about Teenage Mermaid. It was a donation to my classroom library, so I felt an obligation to read it. The story is very brief and while the premise is interesting, the plotting is non-existent and the characterization is flat. Only the two main characters are drawn with any detail--and most of that revolves around physical attributes. I know some readers will enjoy it for its mindless sit-com quality, but I can't recomme ...more
Kasandra Ortega
Feb 03, 2014 Kasandra Ortega rated it liked it
This author uses a lot of personification, imagery, and similies. Spencer nearly drowns but is saved by a beautiful girl but he cannot see her face, she pulls him out of the water to shore where another girl gets help and saves him. Also, the girl comes out of her comfort zone for an adventure in the surface world, pretty good book actually. I reccommend reading this during the summer time. Although it is a short book, it is worth reading.
Laronda Lee
Apr 30, 2013 Laronda Lee rated it did not like it
I picked this book up looking for a mermaid book to read over the summer. It really caught my attention because its a modern reselling of a classic story and I was really excited to read it. But, it wasn't worth my time, the plot is really cliche and predictable ( not in the I know the little mermaid story way but in a I can already tell where this is going way) it's a book more for preteens because it was very boring for me.
Hosbel Hernandez
Nov 11, 2009 Hosbel Hernandez rated it it was amazing

A silver heart locket is their only clue.
Selena
Jun 11, 2010 Selena rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It didn't have quite as much humor as Vampire Kisses, but the way Schreiber took the typical cliches and turned them into something original was amazing. I love Lilly and Spencer.

And the ending reminded me of "The Lady or the Tiger." Why? Because it's vague in a good way.
Eden Solinsky
Jan 06, 2013 Eden Solinsky rated it it was amazing
This book is a really cute read. I would say that it is for younger kids, not so much young adults. However, I do still pick it up and read it every once in a while. My best friend and I would read it aloud to each other any time she came to visit from Texas. It really is a nice story to read. I give it 5/5 stars because I have such fond memories of it :)
Jennifer Tran
Apr 24, 2011 Jennifer Tran rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago. I loved this teen romance story. It was so cute and it made my heart feel warm and fuzzy.My favorite part was when (view spoiler) Sadly, since I bought this book when I was in 5th grade I lost it. :(
Seamaiden
Dec 18, 2015 Seamaiden rated it it was ok
I wish I could give it one star and a half. This book was a childish flat story based on The Little Mermaid. even though the mermaid story is one that fascinates me since I was a child, the characters here were flat, the writing rushed and the.plot quite silly .
Trisha
Jul 23, 2012 Trisha rated it it was amazing
It was soo cool i love romantic stories. and specially the mermaid ones. :) It Was so great! and i read it for free from this thingi. http://www.onread.com/fbreader/1414605/ don't download it. Just press the x. :)
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 Nana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale, romance
This was so like "The Little Mermaid". I can't really say that this is more modern, I can just say that these people are younger and go to school...and the prince is just your average hottie.

This was an awesome book!
Brittany Osurman
Nov 13, 2015 Brittany Osurman rated it liked it
It was cute. I don't usually read books like this but I was in a bit of a dry spell of reading and I came across this title with no author and looked it up. I got a little curious and decided to read it.
Porche
May 19, 2012 Porche rated it liked it
This was a fun little retelling of the Little Mermaid story. I enjoyed the ocean related jargin. It felt a little undone to an extent but otherwise, its a great short book for a younger reader (around the pre-teens).
Emory
Sep 24, 2011 Emory rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and its detail and fast pace... its just its ending left me wanting more after it ends with such a cliffhanger that starts so quickly off of nothing... and there is no more...
Baylin Bradford
May 25, 2015 Baylin Bradford rated it really liked it
This book is soooo good! It was an easy quick read. But the reason why I gave it 4 stars because the story was too short, and the ending was a MAJOR cliffhanger. Unfortunately the author hadn't written a sequel to this! (I looked everywhere for it, but I could find it).
Robyn
Apr 19, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 9 to 13 year olds
This was book was alright. Considering how short it was I got reasonably attached to the characters and did enjoy it. However I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I've enjoyed Ellen's other books.
April
Jun 21, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Cute story of a teenage boy who feels at home in the sea and a teenage mermaid who saves him. Spencer nearly drowns when he is hit on the head by his surf board and Lily , a mermaid who loves, Earthees, saves him.
Love and teenagers!
Quick, cute story.
Emma Scrivener
Apr 05, 2010 Emma Scrivener rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a good book for i would say about 5th grade through 7th grade. It's a good book and a bit romantic but it is a bit weird by the cover and the description it seemed a little weird when a read it to but it was really good.
Megan
Nov 26, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
It's a cute little love story between a mermaid and a lonely boy. It was my favorite book when I was between the ages of 7 and 9. Now that I look back on it, I still find it cute, and it will be a post-it note in my memory that I read this book and loved it.
Ana
Jun 24, 2009 Ana rated it liked it
Cute little book about a teenage romance between a surfer and a mermaid. Written well, interesting enough to keep your interest til the end. Perfect if you want a temporary distraction, as it's fairly quick read.
Kyrstan
Apr 05, 2014 Kyrstan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I totally loved it, but the ending........ If there is a sequal put there I will read it, because the ending.
  • Selkie Girl
  • Mermaid Park
  • Fins
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)
  • Mermaid's Song
  • Awaiting Destiny
  • In Great Waters
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Home to the Sea
  • Merrow
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Captive Mermaid
  • Beyond the Sea (Shades of the Sea, #1)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • My Sister Sif
Before I took pen to paper, I was an actress. I attended a local university majoring in theatre and spent a summer in London at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts where I learned about the “Old Bard” from amazingly talented teachers.

When I returned from London, I relocated to Chicago where I lived for five years. There, I graduated from the Second City Training Center and performed improv, Shakes
More about Ellen Schreiber...