Joel

Joel

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An inspiring story of tremendous tragedy and grief followed by the immense faith, hope and love of the Sonnenberg family. Its message is that no matter how tragic the circumstances in life, they can be overcome with a positive attitude and knowledge that God has a purpose for your life. With God's love and strong support from family and friends, people can survive, even th...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2004)

Ann
What an amazing story! Joel Sonnenberg (and his family) experienced a horrific accident, which transformed all their lives. Through Joel's thoughts, we learn what he and the family endured. Their faith held their family together. It is a very emotional story. I will never forget the descriptions as Joel told his story. But he said it best at his college graduation. The one gift he has and will continue to use is his voice. I really appreciate that I found this book on Scribd and read the electro...more
Lisa Rathbun
The beginning of this book was horrific: I can't imagine what that mother went through seeing her baby burned beyond recognition and having to watch him suffer through medical procedures. Reading his experience through his eyes was interesting - I especially appreciated his summation at the end of the book as to why he sees his situation as a privilege from God.
Cindy
Most likely the most inspiring book I've ever read. At 22 months old Joel was burned in a car accident. He survived the worst burns anyone ever had. His family raised him in such an extraordinary way that he has excelled beyond all expectations. He speaks to others about how to find your purpose in life through God. He is a true Christian.
Diana
A great story, an example of life. It teaches us to appreciate what we have and move forward despite adversity.
Amy
Aug 27, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone
This is an amazing story of survival. It was so inspiring to read how he has achieved so much in his life in the face of such adversity, medical and otherwise. It really is a must read for parents of children with disabilities. His parents are truly exceptional people.
Lindsey
Joel Sonnenberg graduated from Taylor University and was a senior when I was a freshman. This book is his story about how God used an awful tragedy in his life to bring hope and sincerity to the lives of so many - including him. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Maria
This book will change your life. Joel's story is unique and none other is quite like it. The fact that through all he's been through and he can still give glory to God for it, is simply amazing. God is an amazing God and he can work through any situation.
Michelle
Joel, at age 2 was burned in a car accident over 85% of his body. His autobiography tells the amazing challenges and triumphs of his life. Really inspiring to me!
Julianne
Amazing. This young man is an inspiration of biblical proportions. I loved his thought processes and his outlook on life. A wonderful read.......it will uplift you.
Sheri
Could I be so upbeat and accepting and DARING if I were Joel? I seriously doubt it. Great book about not only surviving, but also thriving.
Jocelyn
What an amazing young man. What a way to take a disability and turn it into an ability. I really enjoyed every moment of this book
Elizabeth Hamill
AMAZING story! I hope Joel continues to write because I would love to know what the next part of his life is like!
Sara
Joel is an amazing example of who you can be if you are content w/ God's will...you will be forever changed!
Loraine
Inspirational reading - make sure you have some kleenex. What an amazing young man!
Kimberly
An amazing and inspirational story that will move you.
Collin
amazing another book that made me cry. So sad, GO READ IT.
Karen
Excellent book of courage and determination.
Melissa
Amazing book... everyone should read this book!
Lisa
Wow - this is a life-changing book!
Katie
Excellent, inspiring story!
Ann
Ann added it
Mar 28, 2014
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Kenny
Kenny added it
Dec 05, 2013
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013