Start by marking “Lisa & David Jordi” as Want to Read:
Lisa & David Jordi

Lisa & David Jordi

Two stories about children who are emotionally different.

Jordi has trouble trusting others and is afraid of a lot of things. With the help of a committed teacher he learns to trust and to distinguish between things that are harmless and those that may not be.

David is an aloof child who isn't interested in other people, but he becomes fascinated with Lisa, who speaks in rhy
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published December 1st 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published September 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Lisa & David Jordi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lisa & David Jordi

Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in children & psychology
Read this book for the first time when I was a young teen. It’s 2 (a bit intertwined) novellas about mentally ill children. Jordi is about a young psychotic boy and Lisa & David are 2 mentally ill teens (she schizophrenic, he obsessive-compulsive) in a residential treatment center, who manage to be of great help in each other’s healing. Beautiful stories that inspired me to want to help children. Written by a psychiatrist in an era when psychotherapy was the treatment of choice, I imagine th ...more
Chip
Apr 20, 2014 Chip rated it liked it
Picked this up from someone's discard pile - It's three case studies of adolescent mental illness, suggestive of schizophrenia, written in the early 1970s. This was, of course, before the DSM. These children may have been diagnosed as schizophrenic but they appear to me to be clearly autistic. The author's biases emphasize the symptoms that support his diagnosis, but forty years later it's clear that the children are autistic. Said to be true accounts about real patients, I feel sorry for the ki ...more
My sister brought this book with her when she came home from college one summer, and, enticed by the innocuous-looking blonde-haired boy in a field of flowers on the cover, I started reading it with no idea that it was about children with severe mental illnesses and probably wasn't appropriate for a ten-year-old. It was here that I learned the word 'bastard' (though I didn't know what it meant and found out the hard way a few weeks later when I used it to insult my brother during a rousing game ...more
Cynthia RT
It's like the movie to the Cat Stevens song "Sad Lisa", if it was a soundtrack, or an early music video. Ever since I read the book, I see scenes from the book when I hear the song. I remember realizing the connection as I was reading it, it was kind of a, "Wait a minute... hey!" moment, for a kid.

I read this when I was about 12, the same weekend I read How to Eat Fried Worms, and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Crazy bunch of reading, like bad food combining!
John
Dec 09, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
An amazing pair of stories about young children suffering from psychological disabilities, and the paths to freedom that they were offered by therapists, teachers, and their families.
This book touched my heart so much that it was one of the major factors in my pursuing a degree teaching children with disabilities.
Judy
Nov 25, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-unsorted
This book made quite an impression on me. Up to this time, in my naivete, I didn't realize that children could have a mental illness. A reader has to come away with increased awareness and compassion. (But much of this is probably outdated.)
Amy Duval
Jul 08, 2013 Amy Duval rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in psychology.
Recommended to Amy by: Kate
The book was short and intriguing. It kept my attention.
Maggie Mayhem
Jul 08, 2012 Maggie Mayhem rated it really liked it
I read this in the 8th grade and it's always lingered in my consciousness since then. A pivotal book of observation and not conclusion. A short but still canonical read about psychology.
Maura
Aug 31, 2013 Maura rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
I'll be damned if I can remember what this book was actually about, what happened or how I felt about it. It mustn't have been that great if I can't remember. So I'll give it a 3.
Russ
Nov 10, 2009 Russ rated it liked it
Shelves: just-because
Read this one in High School. Three kids with varying mental illnesses. Can't say that I "enjoyed" it, but it opened my eyes to a world of trials beyond my Norman Rockwell-esque upbringing.
Loralie
Oct 22, 2013 Loralie rated it it was amazing
interesting. never read a novel about this, usually read the case studies
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Cynthia Frank
Cynthia Frank rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2009
Dot
Dot rated it really liked it
May 01, 2008
Paula Hartman-Carlo
Paula Hartman-Carlo rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2010
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2008
Joann
Joann rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Dorine
Dorine rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Susan Reynolds
Susan Reynolds rated it really liked it
May 08, 2009
Laine
Laine rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Nikki Rosen
Nikki Rosen rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Cristina López
Cristina López rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2008
هادي السامري
هادي السامري rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Penny Dalton
Penny Dalton rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
CM Leonard
CM Leonard rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Novels, 1944-1962: My Home is Far Away / The Locusts Have No King / The Wicked Pavilion / The Golden Spur
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • The Art of Fiction
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • Emily the Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)