Start by marking “Jordi's Star” as Want to Read:
Jordi's Star

Jordi's Star

A lonely shepherd sees a star floating on the surface of a small pool and, convinced that the star is really in the water, tries to make the mountainside beautiful for its new resident.
Published October 1st 1996 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Jordi's Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jordi's Star

Lisa Vegan
Dec 11, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all kids, especially those who like plants/planting & those who feel lonely
This is a lovely story. I appreciated how at the beginning of the book, a bit of information about St. Jordi’s feast day is given.

The illustrations are special. The goats are beyond adorable. The lush plants and scenery at the end are wonderfully shown. The art style, colors used, and picture contents fit perfectly with the story; they couldn’t be more ideal.

I love how the story reads as a simple folktale and how while not at all didactic there are some good messages here: about how nature provi
Connie
Jul 07, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a book about a lonely shepherd who goes a little crazy by himself and is convinced a star is living at the bottom of a pool of water he'd dug.

But that's a good thing! In an effort to make his star happy he fills the pool with crystals, and borders it with stones and moss. The moisture spreads, and he plants flowers, and eventually trees around his pool.

Eventually, the dry hillside (the trees had long been cut down) is green and blooming again because of his little efforts.

And he's not lo
Daniel
Nov 30, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Normally while reading picture books, I look for things that will go over well for the various storytimes I do at the library, but occasionally a picture book can still move me. This one did. Jordi's story reminded me of some of the bare expanses of Catalunya, and the ecological turnaround he creates on behalf of his beloved star was truly moving. It reminded me a bit of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince and his relationship with the Rose. It's certainly a reminder of what beauty we c ...more
Dee
Dec 13, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A very touching story about how nature brings love into our lives. I too gather plants and rocks and am a stargazer. This book was written for me. The illustrations were wonderful. Alma you sure pick the best artists for your work. I see where this is the same lady who did the illustrations for The Contest Between the Sun and Wind. To semi-quote a famous arachnid, "This is one terrific book".
Shannon
Jordi is not the brightest star in the bunch if you get my drift, but it is a nice story about planting anyway.
Cheryl
Tender story with lovely illustrations. Great for a bedtime story
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
M.
M. rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Traci
Traci rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2010
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2007
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2010
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Cana
Cana rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Ashley Wesner
Ashley Wesner rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Yinzadi
Yinzadi rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Poornima
Poornima rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Finny
Finny rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2010
Ellie
Ellie added it
Jul 23, 2011
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2012
Alice
Alice added it
Jan 07, 2013
Brie Schmidt
Brie Schmidt marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
The
The added it
Aug 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2016
(http://facebook.com/almaflorada)

Dr. Ada was the founder and First Editor in Chief of :
NABE, Journal of the National Association for Bilingual Education

She has been active for many years in various professional associations including : IRA, International Reading Association
CRA, California Reading Association
CABE, California Association for Bilingual Education
USIBBY, US Branch of the International
More about Alma Flor Ada...