Start by marking “A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #15)” as Want to Read:
A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #15)

A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone #15)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,852 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The bestselling author of Till the Butchers Cut Him Down presents her latest mystery starring Saron McCone. Investigating a terrorist bombing at the Consulate of an Arab Emirate, Sharon is thinking only of the million-dollar-reward--until she meets the consul general's daughter. When the girl disappears, Sharon risks everything to save her.
Published May 30th 2009 by Mysterious Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Wild and Lonely Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wild and Lonely Place

Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still catching up with the Sharon McCone series. Sharon gets involved with trying to uncover the Dipla-bomber who is bombing consulates all over the U.S. One particular embassy soon becomes a focus and McCone's work turns to rescue of the daughter-in-law and grandchild of the ambassador. While I have a special place for the McCone series... I've discovered that these books are best saved for special McCone times. I've got one more to read out of sequence and I'm definitely saving it.
LJ
A WILD AND LONELY PLACE - Ex
Muller, Marcia - 15th in series

PI Saron McCone investigates a terrorist bombing at the Consulate of an Arab Emirate. Sharon is thinking only of the million-dollar-reward--until she meets the consul general's daughter. When the girl disappears, Sharon risks everything to save her.

Muller gets better and better.
Peggy
Dec 31, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim5930
Good PI & terrorist tell.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
action packed, interesting advance of series characters
Deb
Feb 05, 2017 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story. Sharon McCone finds herself once again working with Gage Renshaw despite her misgivings. She is drawn to Habiba Hamid, the 9 year old daughter of a middle eastern diplomat whose family is the target of the "Diplo-bomber." McCone makes it her mission to keep Habiba safe, and the attempt takes her to a Caribbean island off the coast of St. Martin. One of the things that caught my attention in this book, written in the mid 1990's, was just how much technology has changed since t ...more
Elizabeth Ruth
Jan 02, 2017 Elizabeth Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well holy hell, I have a new lady detective to love.
Ed
Jun 22, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#16 in the Sharon McCone series. Finalist 1996 Macavity Award for Best Novel. Sharon continues the dramatic sea change in her career started with Wolf in the Shadows (1993). She's left the All Souls Legal Cooperative, she and boyfriend Hy share a cottage on the California coast and she has soloed with her new pilot license. This time out she forms an uneasy alliance with security group RKI - encountered in Wolf in the Shadows. Wide ranging and very readable series entry.

Sharon McCone series - A
Barbara Mitchell
This book in the Sharon McCone series by Marsha Muller is an old one; I have a book club edition from 1995. However, it was perfect for reading during a heat wave. I love Sharon McCone. She's gutsy, but worries about her courage, is down to earth, and really cares about people. Muller's stories are tight yet detailed, full of wonderfully described scenery yet stays on point, and she lets Sharon accept help when necessary but also lets her solve things on her own when she can. In other words, McC ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
How can I change myself into this woman? For the first time, I understand the urge of 20 year olds who are dressing up like Batman or Star Wars characters. Sigh.

Now that Sharon McCone has her pilot's license, she has extended her reach. In this case she is involved in a serial bombing threat. A madman is setting bombs at certain diplomatic consulates around the U.S., and finally he is after a San Francisco embassy. McCone is called in when her boyfriend's company, RKI, is tasked with the respons
Spuddie
May 08, 2016 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting entry in this San Francisco based series featuring PI Sharon McCone. I still find the situations and mysteries she gets herself into to be somewhat ludicrous and hard to swallow with the scope and depth of involvement (national security, the diplomatic community) and find the main character to do some rather idiotic things, given she's supposed to be a smart PI. This is book fifteen in the series, and by rights, she should've been dead around book 3 or at the very least, a tr ...more
Janice
Oct 30, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy
Oct 18, 2013 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark book with a subtle exploration into the character of people. Sharon McCrone is hired to help find the Diplo-Bomber, a terrorist who is striking foreign embassies in the US. He was quiet for awhile, but now he is blowing away the embassies much more quickly. When Sharon sees a pair of nine-year-old eyes peering over a flowerpot at her, she realizes a young girl and her American mother, who had married into the diplomatic family but is being a prisoner there, will become collateral damage s ...more
Joy
Feb 12, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this puzzle about what makes the Diplo-bomber tick, the mesmerizing parts for me are of Sharon as pilot. There are several other threads to the competition to be the first to find whoever is blowing up ambassadors and consulates in the United States. The issue is diplomatic immunity: the apparent main target of revenge committed rape and murder and the US government couldn't do anything about it.

As always, Sharon meets fascinating people. The way Muller writes, we share Sharon's feelings abou
Quillracer
I’ve read several books in this series and thought they were okay – not good enough to put on my ‘must read’ list but good enough to keep in mind when I was hunting for something to read.

This was the first one that really captured my interest. Perhaps it was the plot – the murders of embassy and consulate employees and the kidnapping of a 9-year-old girl – that did it. Or perhaps it was because I’ve gotten to ‘know’ Muller’s main character, Sharon McCone.

Whatever the reason, I now want to read m
Melissa
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...oh how I love reading about the adventures of Sharon McCone. It's been too long since I sat down with Sharon and crew. I love her toughness and reasoning abilities. But I also love how situations get to her. I feel the real human emotion come through. These books keep getting better and better. This book was written in the early Nineties, so the technology is out of date. But it is fun to see how far we've come with computers, cell phones and the Internet. Looking forwar ...more
Nancy
Jan 18, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book. Just starting to read this series with ebooks and they don't have them all; so I am starting here. Totally enjoy the characters; fast-paced reading; keeps your interest.

Sharon McCone investigates a terrorist bombing at the Consulate of an Arab Emirate, Sharon is thinking only of the million-dollar-reward--until she meets the consul general's daughter. When the girl disappears, Sharon risks everything to save her.
Nat Kidder
Female private eye McCone steps away from fighting local crime and corruption to tackle an international diplomacy case that takes her all across the Americas. Those expecting the former might be disappointed, but it's still has its moments, particularly the rescue segment. My biggest disappointment was lack of tension at the climaxes, but still a reasonably gripping story for those who like spy thrillers.
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-mystery
In the 16th installment of the best-selling Sharon McCone PI series from Marcia Muller, A Wild and Lonely Place, Sharon McCone returned in another shocking mystery. When she was investigating the bombing of the Arab Emirate consulate, Sharon only thought of the reward. After she met his daughter, she disappeared. Now it was up to Sharon to save her.
Michelle Beese
Apr 26, 2014 Michelle Beese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcia Muller had me until the very end with this one! Sharon McCone is such an interesting character and now that nephew Mick is in the mix it is getting even more interesting with the family dynamics coming in to play. The strong connection made in this latest book has me eager to find out what is coming next!
Michelle
Apr 19, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes female private eyes.
For me, this was Marcia Muller's breakthrough book. I felt like it was a cut above her previous McCone mysteries and the one where character takes on equal importance to plot. If I wanted to turn someone on to McCone, this is the book I would have them start with.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 01, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This mystery lags in the middle, but it's overall another fine Sharon McCone mystery, with lots of attention to her friends and family. The mystery is fun, as is its attention to the diplomatic side of The City (though there's overall less attention to the Bay Area than I'd like).
Rose Mary
May 20, 2012 Rose Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharon McCone solves the mystery of the Diplo-Bomber who has tageted the embassies of oil-rich nations. This is an earlier McCone mystery so we find out how Habiba became the adopted daughter of Hank and Anne-Marie. I'm a great fan of Ms. Muller--she writes fast-paced, hard-to-put-down thrillers.
Wendy
Aug 10, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, muller-marcia
You really need to read Muller's books in order. There are events in her life that will not make sense if they are not read in sequence. This one is exciting because she is tracing down terrorists. Remember the books are pre Home Land Security.
Donna
Apr 08, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
One of my favorite mystery series. Here Sharon McCone is investigating the bombing of a consulate in San Francisco and the disappearance of a young girl.
Sweetinterludes Sweetinterludes Book shop
i ENJOYED THIS BOOK Very exciting.I love Sharon McCone.I strongly recommend this series if you have not read it before.Marcia Muller is the best of the female private eye authors
AE
Jun 21, 2007 AE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this one too. If I remember correctly this one comes after "A Wolf in the Shadows" but before "Broken promise land". THough maybe I'm wrong.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Sharon McCone; PI helps track a bomber of diplomatic missions, especially helping a young girl caught in the middle.
Catherine Woodman
Marcia Muller does a god job with this protagonist--she has stayed interesting without being stagnant
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5)
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Sharon McCone (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Edwin of the Iron Shoes