Start by marking “The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory (Penguin Reference)” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This edition of an established dictionary of literary terms, is brought up-to-date by the inclusion of new terms from literary theory and structuralist, post-structuralist and deconstructuralist criticism.
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 1072 pages
Published April 30th 1992 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory

Emily
Absolutely required to be on your bookshelf if you are an English major. This book will help you so much!
Jen Kautt
Apr 08, 2008 Jen Kautt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I'm reading it for my own personal pleasure.
Gotta problem with that?
Mikimbizii
An amazing behemoth of a book.... It is more like journeying through a complex, exotic map of a secret island than reading. I came across some of the loveliest terms that tickled and rolled on my tongue like the sweetest honey.. roman-feuilleton, litotes, duologue, effulgent.... Although a very academic work, I read it like a poem, explored it like silent children examining delightfully intriguing puzzle-boxes - leisurely lingering over descriptions, tracing terms of similar meaning and meanderi ...more
Kristin
A great resource. I love the way the author has these partialities that he just can't keep out of his writing, no matter how hard to tries. How Poe having a lot of influence on later horror novelists was to their detriment, for example.
Lady Jane
A delectable, enjoyable, and very necessary buffet of knowledge for the English major! Sigh.
TC
A good desk top reference dictionary.
Jamie Lee
This is an absolutely fantastic resource to turn to when doing literary terms and theory research for upper-level English courses. I used to borrow it from the library so much that I ended up buying it. I refer to it all the time for my English courses to not only further my own knowledge but also to have fantastic definitions or backgrounds on theorists.
DebiReads
Comprehensive and accessible.
Chris
I use this every unit to get definitions for the literary terms we use. Thick and filled with everything you could want.
Scott Kleinpeter
This book has been a trusted aid since High School. Most any time I turn to it with a question, it has an answer.
Jessica
I used this text to supplement books I was using when teaching a course on literary criticism.
Sannie Hald
I haven't read every single word defined, yet this book is a must when you are studying English.
DoctorM
An essential reference book. Always there on my desk.
Mike Duron
Can any writer ~ever~ finish reading this book?
Cody
Essential for any lover/scholar of literature.
Andra
A bible in my literature classes.
Donal Lyons
Does one read a book like this?
Angie Lisle
A good reference book for Lit Majors.
Courtney
Reference only.
Afron Schrijver
Afron Schrijver marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Yaser Mohamed
Yaser Mohamed is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2015
Reem
Reem added it
Apr 07, 2015
Arti Shri
Arti Shri is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
Nader Absi
Nader Absi marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing (Essential Resource Library) (Essential Resource Library)
  • Critical Terms for Literary Study
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • 50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know (Hardcover)
  • Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader
  • The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism
  • Critical Theory Today: A User-Friendly Guide
  • Literary Criticism: An Introduction to Theory and Practice
  • Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols
  • Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory (Beginnings)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
The Penguin Book of Horror Stories The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics) The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory