Start by marking “Buttermilk” as Want to Read:
Buttermilk

Buttermilk (Serendipity)

Buttermilk the bunny thinks she sees scary monsters while trying to find her way home after dark, but the light of day puts things in a different perspective.
Other Format, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Sagebrush Education Resources (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Buttermilk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buttermilk

Lindsey
It's been years since I've read this book but the beautiful illustrations still stick with me. The entire Serendipity series was centered around a variety of moral and life lessons. Buttermilk is about being afraid of the unknown and using knowledge to conquer fear.

My favorite part of the story involves Buttermilk the bunny finding out that a dreaded dragon is only a willow tree... but if you look closely in the illustrations, there's a tiny, adorable dragon in the picture. Definitely a good boo
Jen
May 27, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely adorable but also very good at not being condescending toward the reality of night-time fears. This is a great moment of reassurance that your imagination can get away from you when it's dark and shadowy; I gave it four stars instead of five because the wrap-up moral at the end destroys that sense of understanding by simply saying that monsters aren't real. Of course they're not real, but they feel real enough (especially to children) that there isn't much difference.

Also, ten million
Julia Brumfield
Sep 01, 2014 Julia Brumfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, serendipity
Adorable book that shows just how much the imagination plays havoc in the dark while Robin James does a great job of making those night-time monsters so graphic looking that you can agree with Buttermilk. And I love the idea how her father doesn't only comforts her but takes her out the next day to see what the actual monsters were. Loved the little dragon under the willow tree :)

Definitely one of the best.....
Shelli
May 18, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book series for kids that want to work toward reading chapter books but are not quiet there yet. Every other page has a beautiful illustration next to a page that is not overwhelming with text.

In this story Buttermilk is on her way home to her bunny burrow when night comes sooner than anticipated. So many scary things hid in the shadows at night, and Buttermilk fears her fast feet are not fast enough to get her to safety.
Suzanne Mather
Jul 18, 2015 Suzanne Mather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serendipity books have always been some of the best ones for kids in my opinion. Buttermilk is just one that I adored as a child. When I was 6 I loved the book so much I drew the cover for my art teacher and it made a blue ribbon at the art show that year. I wish I still had it! I will be checking the library for this one for my little ones soon as well.
Angela Bagwell
Dec 25, 2010 Angela Bagwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
this was my favorite book as a child and the illustrations where beautiful.
Ria
Aug 01, 2016 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations. My son loves to look at the pictures and he can read the book alone. It's not too hard for 6 year old boys to read.
Nakya
Dec 14, 2011 Nakya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the bunny's are cute
Lauren
Feb 17, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jacky
Apr 03, 2007 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I remember this cover, so I'm pretty sure I read this one since I liked Squeakers so much.
Wickedshizuku
Jun 24, 2015 Wickedshizuku rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Mrs. Baswell
This is a book of helping your little one get over their fear of the dark.
Nasuesue
Nasuesue rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
King Haddock
King Haddock rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2009
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Ciara
Ciara rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2008
Dannielle Albert
Dannielle Albert rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Gabriela Nelly
Gabriela Nelly rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Morgan Davis
Morgan Davis rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2010
Shanna
Shanna rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2007
Feathertail
Feathertail rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Becky Savoie
Becky Savoie rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Savanah
Savanah rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2008
charlotte
charlotte rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2008
SARAH
SARAH rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2017
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3)

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé