Start by marking “Wong Kar-Wai: Auteur of Time” as Want to Read:
Wong Kar-Wai: Auteur of Time

Wong Kar-Wai: Auteur of Time

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This, the first book-length study of Hong Kong cult director Wong Kar-wai, provides an overview of his career and in-depth analyses of his seven feature films to date. The study also takes an intriguing look at Wong's commercials for the likes of Motorola, BMW, and Lacoste and at his music video for DJ Shadow. Stephen Teo probes Wong's cinematic and literary influences--fr ...more
Published March 8th 2005 by British Film Institute

To ask other readers questions about Wong Kar-Wai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wong Kar-Wai

Masterofoneinchpunch
Imprimis: this book covers Wong's work up until 2046 including his commercial shorts; however, Teo was not able to view Wong's "The Hand" in the Eros release - a very important film in Wong's oeuvre in my opinion. Of course My Blueberry Nights is also not included since it came after this book. The format is simple with an introductory chapter, one chapter per film and an ending chapter which covers his commercial shorts and concludes his thoughts about the summation of Wong Kar-wai's cinema.

Thi
Patrick McCoy
Since I started reading Stephen Teo's book Wong Kar-Wai I've been writing posts about the films of Wong as they were informed by the specific chapter from Teo's book. I found it to be an excellent resource and reference for analyzing the films and it will figure greatly in my next academic paper that will discuss the Japanese culture influences in his films. I also found his discussions on the themes and motifs of the films useful and enlightening. If I had any complaints they might have to do w ...more
Café
Good job!
I think the book analyses the author more than the work, which is great. As I read it I understood more about the ideas and books that had influenced Wong's work, specially the Latin American authors he admires and constantly reads. Instead of forcing you into his own perception of the films, Teo provides you with the information and background necessary for you to comprehend some part of Wong's complexity of thought, but respects your freedom of interpretation and analysis. Recommended
Joe
Recommended if you're more than a casual fan of WKW's films. The analysis of the literary references to Puig and Cortazar in his films was a nice surprise. The writing style gets academic at times (the author loves to quote Deleuze), but it's not a deal breaker. Lots of interesting insights about themes, working methods, critical reception, and cinematography.
Lewis Manalo
This is the first critic I found who drew the connections between Wong Kar-Wai's films and literature, mostly Manuel Puig's novels. Each chapter basically covers a film, and in chronological order.

This is good enough that I revisit it from time to time, but it does fail to deliver any real revelations (unless, of course, you've never read any literature).
Steven
Although I disagree with some of the finer interpretations Teo has especially in regards to the preserved nievete in In The Mood For Love, overall his insights and sheer passion/intellect for Wong Kar-wai and film-making/narraitve is definitely impressive and honestly I've fallen deeper in love with both In Mood For Love and 2046 after reading Teo!
Sam Crisp
It's been fascinating to read a study of Wong Kar-wai's literary and visual art influences after trying to do so much myself with Brendon Chung's games, to which the themes and techniques trickle down in some form or another. Wong Kar-wai is the only director I've engaged with whose works as a collection have constituted a powerful intertext.
Grant
A nice overview of Wong Kar-Wai's films through 2046. A nice amount of visual annotations and frame grabs from many of the films to illustrate points that Teo's making.
Lau
Apr 06, 2008 Lau rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wong Kar-War fans
Teo Stephen mixes Foucault, Deleuze and other philosopher with Chinese Cinema history and Hollywood references. A pleasure.
Beth
Jul 23, 2008 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wong kar wai fans and non-fans
Wong Kar Wai is the greatest filmmaker alive and this is a great guide to his films. Super in-depth and fun to read.
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Akeem
Akeem marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Andrew C.
Andrew C. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
the unnamable
the unnamable marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Victoria Garcia
Victoria Garcia marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Chet
Chet marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
vivian
vivian marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ngoc Nguyen
Ngoc Nguyen marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ha-Mi Nguyen
Ha-Mi Nguyen marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Eadweard
Eadweard marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
Apr 25, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Victor Woo
Victor Woo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hong Kong Cinema: The Extra Dimensions Chinese Martial Arts Cinema: The Wuxia Tradition Director in Action: Johnnie To and the Hong Kong Action Film King Hu's a Touch of Zen The Asian Cinema Experience: Styles, Spaces, Theory