Start by marking “The King of Hel” as Want to Read:
The King of Hel

The King of Hel

Castil il Veras, a dowerless scribe born of lesser boyars, attends the wedding of her best friend to the notorious cursed king of Helenrisia. It is at the prenuptial celebrations that she becomes bewitched by the mysterious magus king, even as she recognizes that he is forbidden to her. Doranis of Helenrisia travels south to Caskadan, bound by duty to secure trade ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about The King of Hel, please sign up.

Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* This is a direct quote from her facebook page back in september 2015, I don't know if she's updated anything since then but it looks like it's not…moreThis is a direct quote from her facebook page back in september 2015, I don't know if she's updated anything since then but it looks like it's not available at the moment but a longer version will be available at some point. (I don't think there was a printed version)

"Some of you who have read my older work are familiar with my short story THE KING OF HEL. That story was a contest winner back in 2005 that landed me a publishing contract with Amber Quill Press and started me on the road to pro publishing. In 2011, I requested and received distribution rights back on that story. The plan was to deconstruct it and expand it from a 12k-word short story to either a novella length (up to 39k words) or short novel-length (40k - 60k words). Unfortunately, my writing schedule and other projects have continuously pushed work on this story down the queue, and it's gathered dust on my hard drive since 2011.
That being said, I'm knuckling down and finally getting back to that tale (which I still love and have been desperate to revisit ever since I got rights back). It will be reworked, expanded and earmarked as my contribution to the spring collaboration with Jeffe. I hope those who read the original will like the new version of THE KING OF HEL. I hope those who haven't will enjoy the characters of King Joris of Hel and the scribe who loves him, Castil il Veena."(less)

Kelly
Jan 06, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
I wanted a quick read and decided to give another of Grace Draven's work a swirl. She never disappoints.

I found myself needing a cold shower after reading this novella:
 photo cold-shower_zps18t05it5.gif

This author never ceases to amaze me with her intense and memorable writing style. My only complaint is that I wish that it was longer.

4.5 Ohh boy that was intense Stars
Jodi Henley
Slightly difficult to get into. But all the hero and heroine's interactions sparkle. A fantasy twist on a traditional English gothic with overtones of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone and the Waste from Andre Norton's early Witchworld books.

It feels like a really long, heavily layered book squeezed down to a long excerpt. Getting to the end was easy. Stopping was hard.
Mara
Mar 26, 2012 Mara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr, novella
Here's an author who can write shorter stories and make them believable. Her writing is lyrical, sweet and make me wish she would write more and more books.

Tacuazin
Mar 08, 2015 Tacuazin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, novella
Nice short fantasy romance. I liked the Beauty & Beast vibe. Unexpectedly sexy as well.
Ugly, ugly cover, though.
JR Gutierrez
This woman has a way with words. She creates magic no matter how short the story is. King of Hel is 40 pages short (according to my Aldiko) yet it is surprisingly rich and solid.

I just worship this book. The characters and the scenes are so realistic and i'm in love! If this turn into a series- you know those novellas that are always cut into 5 books so the writers can earn more money that way? yeah those one. I wont hesitate to spend more than a few coins to get my hands on those beauties. I j
Melania Ramona
Jan 31, 2015 Melania Ramona rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I'm not giving this one 5 stars only because it's too short and I need more to truly be engaged in a book. Still, the story is very good, the characters as fleshed out as they could be in 40 pages. I think I'm becoming a fan of Grace Draven.
Lolo
Sep 19, 2015 Lolo rated it liked it
Wish this novella is a full-length novel...I'm a sucker for this premise.
Christine
Oct 14, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Grace Draven has a great "voice" in her writing. I also feel like I am reading a grand tale.

I know I have read this one before. I enjoyed it. It is a nice short read.
Traci
Aug 21, 2015 Traci rated it liked it
This story may have been a short one, but like with everything else I have read by Grace Draven it was a great story. She has such a graceful way with words that even the simplest story is laid out with beautiful prose. You can feel the story coming alive and the characters living in between the pages seem to have actual life. This story deals with a forbidden almost star crossed lover theme. Or hero is a King and is first introduced as someone else's betrothed. What follows from there you will ...more
Teresa
Jan 18, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
I really love the concept of the book. Sadly, everything ends so fast that it doesn't give you time to digest that the book it over. In other words, the book is too short. I think the idea could had been worked a little more like more details, drama and character-building. For that, I gave this book 4 stars. If the author picks up this book again and makes it into a series, I'll certainly read it.
Anya
Aug 06, 2014 Anya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it

This was an awesome read. I love all of Grace Draven book and I wish she writes more! There is just this certain cadence to her style of writing that I absolutely love!

My only complain is that this was too short! I wish it was a full novel. The characters and story were totally riveting.
Aislinn Boyter
Dec 29, 2015 Aislinn Boyter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica-romance
This was fast paced and short but extremely enjoyable. Once again, Grace Draven makes wonderful characters.
Diana
Diana rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Kata
Kata rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Andella
Andella rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Raza
Raza rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Julija
Julija rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Sarah D.
Sarah D. rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Jia Ismail
Jia Ismail rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Bridget Blackwood
Bridget Blackwood rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2015
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Malin
Malin rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Marie Orumaa
Marie Orumaa rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
April Merano
April Merano rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Destiny
Destiny rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Ashok
Ashok rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Amy Sabta
Amy Sabta rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Brighton Road
  • Special Gifts
  • Uncertain Magic
  • The Devil's Arms
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • The Trophy Husband
  • From Fear to Eternity (Immortality Bites Mystery, #3; Immortality Bites, #8)
  • What an Earl Wants
  • The Eye of the Beholder (Fairytale Collection #1)
  • Sea Change
  • Sinful: Epilogue (Addicted, #2.1)
  • Corporate Plaything
  • Never A Slave (Trek Mi Q'an, #7)
  • The Way Home
  • Lone
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • When There is Hope
  • Bad Ass Faeries
I'm an author and Louisiana native living in Texas with my husband, three smalls and a big doofus dog. I have lived in Spain, hiked the Teton Mountains, honeymooned in Scotland, ridden in competition rodeo and am the great great granddaughter of a Nicaraguan president. I also hate doing laundry and refuse to iron anything.

I've loved storytelling since forever. I published my first short story with
More about Grace Draven...