Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)

Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,995 ratings  ·  101 reviews
June Hudson is the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks--and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley.Expecting the unexpected is a way of life in Gra...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published 2003)

Brenda (b)
A wonderful ending to the Grace Valley Trilogy. I loved this book - and the whole series. I can't seem to gush too much about these books, can I? Jim finally becomes a permanent resident of Grace Valley. Many old friends put in appearances, we learn more about everyone and a new face or two arrive too. The last 30 or so pages had me in tears as the town comes together and offers each other so much optimism and support. I would love to be a part of a community like this one. I was sad to see the...more
Isis FG
Another solid story from Carr. This book is very similar to the other Grace Valley books, and if you liked them, then you'll most likely like this one.

Series Note:
Third and final book in the Grace Valley trilogy...which should really be read in order. This trilogy is loosely connected to the Virgin River series.

Summary:
For local town doctor June Hudson, things in her life are coming together with the return of her secret lover, now retired undercover agent Jim Post. After learning June was expec...more
Michele bookloverforever
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did Ms.Carr's Virgin River series. The characters are well drawn. and sympathetic. As usual she assembles quite a cast of characters and several interesting plot points but it feels like this was her apprenticeship and she was still polishing her skills. It was ok but not great. Enjoyable, but not as satisfying as her Virgin River stories..
Mom
It was okay, but I was just glad it was finished. I wanted to know what happened, but, was not excited about getting through it.

June Hudson is the town's doctor, a caring, capable woman who now has a bit of explaining to do. People are beginning to notice the bloom in her cheeks -- and the swell of her belly. Happily, DEA agent Jim Post is back in June's arms for good, newly retired from undercover work and ready for new beginnings here in Grace Valley.

Expecting the unexpected is a way of life...more
Sue
Fantastic ending Jim and June's book really and all I can say is it was worth the wait. Got teary eyed several times that should be telling. Truly a village made this trilogy work.
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
This installment is the end of the Green Valley trilogy where Jim finally comes to live with Doctor June and his appearance shocks the town and gives them plenty of fodder for the small town gossip mill. Caring, capable and presumed spinster June Hudson can no longer keep her relationship with retired DEA agent Jim Post secret - her pregnancy is showing and he's more than ready to be a husband and father.
All of my issues with this read really boils down to one issue, the town is much too perfec...more
Suzanne Barrett
Down By the River is the third book in Robyn Carr’s Grace Valley trilogy and is primarily a continuation of the events featuring the characters in books one and two.

June’s lover, Jim Post, has retired from his DEA job and returns to Grace Valley to live with June and their forthcoming child and learns that pregnant women are subject to mood swings.

June, used to working all hours, doing everything, learns she must delegate, and she finds this hard to do.

Aunt Myrna has been corresponding with anot...more
Angela Lynn Holland
Why I Read This Book: I read this book for two reasons, first I am a Robyn Carr fan and have read this entire series and second I read this with some of the Novel Ladies.

What I liked: I liked reading about the small town and all the residents. I also enjoyed how the people in the book felt real, this could be a town you live in or have traveled thru.

What I didn't Liked: The ending of the book because I felt like I was moving away from my friends and would never see them again. I wanted this boo...more
Missmarple
This book completes the Grace Valley Series and has Dr. June adjusting to being pregnant, living with her ex-DEA agent boyfriend Jim Post, and deciding on when and whether to marry him. She also develops a friendship with her high school boyfriend's wife and helps her aunt with a visit from her writer pen-pal. There is excitement from a pending flood. This book was a good ending to the trilogy!
Rochelle
aw, I wanted to love this book, and I wanted to love the Grace Valley series. It just wasn't quite there.
Jim is magnificent! He is always there for June, for the town, and he gives and gives and, for the most part, gets little back. And he doesn't complain! And he cooks, and cleans. And there's no way he's real. I like do it all guys, Jack, from Virgin River is amazing, but has a few faults, and is a little more real.
Maybe I'm just too negative, but I don't see how the town would completely look...more
penelopewanders
Unfortunately this seems to be the last in this trilogy... I do have a different series (Thunder Point?) by Carr to begin, so all is not lost. Fun stories, a sort of almost too good to be true kind of community despite all the many foibles of the characters. Read this on holiday and getting ready to send to a bookcrossing/ERTG/Goodreads group friend.
Linda
A wonderful ending to the Grace Valley Trilogy. June faced the town with her pregnancy and introduced them to Jim. It was important to June that she and Jim get to know each other before they marry but the town and especially her Father disagreed. Robyn Carr is such a great storyteller that you will enjoy every page of this book
Michele
I like Robyn Carr a lot. Her books are very easy to read and her characters are very colorful. This book is about June Hudson, a small-town doctor in the northwest, who finally decides to marry Jim Post, a retired DEA agent. Good thing, since she's already 4 months pregnant.
Phyllis
I liked this third and final book in the Grace Valley Trilogy. It is a continuation into the lives of the previous characters in book 1 and book 2. Therefore the books should be read in order. By the time I got done with this book I felt like I had known the characters for a long time. I was able to picture them all in my head. It was so nice to see how they interacted with each other in a small town. I did not grow up in a small town where you know everyone so I was asking myself in the end if...more
Krissie
Love this series! Grace Valley is overflowing with gossip--in particular, they are whispering over who might be the father of pregnant town doctor June Hudson's child.
evelyn hamblin
Great read

Great read

keep my attention thru the entire book I would recommend this book to all I can not wait to read the next
Anneka
Awww, what a sappy ending! So much happened in this book; so many new characters but so loved and now a part of the town. Despite the hardships and many difficulties, it had a happy ending. Sad it was only a trilogy and that the series is over.
Mary K. Combs
A very good book.

I fell in love with Elmer, I was so happy for June and Jim. Thanks Robyn for another good story.
Diane Walters
The author was consistent throughout all three books in the trilogy. I enjoyed them all. Fun and easy to listen to (audio.)
Mary
The final book in the Grace Valley trilogy. I enjoyed all three books. Therese Plummer did a great job with the narration.
Lita Bouquard
Grace Valley has it all. Drama, romance, mysteries, and vices. I won't tell which characters are involved but this was so enjoyable. I am upset that Robyn Carr started Virgin River and abandoned The Grace Valley crew. I read these after Virgin River so I don't know if Ricky has a story, what happens to Leah, Clarence, Jessie and the others. I will now have to reread the Virgin River books again for mention of the characters I have come to care for. What about Sam? Is he meant to be a good samari...more
Joy
June is remarkably crabby for a woman who has been joined by the love of her life. But pregnancy will do that to you. Jim is helping not only June but other members of the community, a neighborly pebble whose rings spread out into the whole community. They also have a new pastor -- a beloved man with secrets. Eventually everyone is pitching in to help everyone else, and it makes a heartwarming read. Oh, and we finally solve the problem of Aunt Myra's husband, to my pleasure. Sadly, this is the l...more
Lea
Last in the trilogy. I enjoyed the back to back to back series, where one picked up without any time passing. It is really like one large novel, in three sections. This was filled with the same great characters and a more in depth look into some of their lives. Domestic abuse is a reoccurring theme in the series. The reluctance by June to want to marry Jim was a little off putting and how it ended was a little like summing it up because you ran out of pages. Good series and I will be passing it...more
Kathrynn
Book #3 in the Grace Valley trilogy. This series must be read in order as each book further develops the lives of the main and supporting characters.

I thought this one was abit dull and was tired of June and Jim trying to decide on marriage or not. Just didn't seem to fit that she started off lonely, wanting a life other than her career, gets one, then is undecided. Seemed like a lot of useless energy placed on trying to figure out "what to do" when...the cake was already baking in the oven. If...more
Natalie Wipf
fan frickin tastic book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trang Nguyen
Finally the romance between June and Jim is revealed!! Their romance has been building from the first and second book but now that Jim has retired we get to se. His true character. I have to admit in the beginning the book was ao repetitive I found myelf skipping. Initially I was going to give this a 3 star review but once I got past all the repetition from the first two books the storyline was perfect and the ending was more than I can ask for.

I can't wait to pick up my new book for the Virgin...more
Elizabeth Breese
An excellent ending to the trilogy!
Darcy
I thought this book brought a good resolution to the trilogy. This book picks up mere hours after the last book. I had to admire the way that Jim was inducted into the town. It was definitely trial by fire.

I also loved the action with Aunt Myrna and with the Forrest's. It seemed like there was so much family drama in this book. Some of them had good results, some not so much, but every single one of them was backed with the town. And it is this quality that is the charm of this series.
Carol N
Returning once again to Grace Valley was a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I've fallen in love with these wonderful people and shall miss them. I understand this was the third book of the trilogy but I want more. I want to see how the women doctor adjusts to a new marriage, two young babies and her involvement with the town's folks. I want to know what happens to Erline, Charley, and author-aunt on the hill. Another book, if you please is the answer!
  • That Holiday Feeling (Includes: Virgin River, #8 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles, #2)
  • A Fool's Gold Christmas (Fool's Gold, #9.5)
  • The Comforts of Home (Harmony, #3)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)

“Do you agree with that About saying 'forever' and being sure? I do. Will you tell me when you think you're there? Sure. Good. June? Yes? I'm there. You go ahead and take your time.” 9 likes