Edge of Eternity

Edge of Eternity

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Imagine Being Pulled Into the Hereafter. While You’re Still Alive.
A disillusioned business executive whose life has hit a dead-end, Nick Seagrave has lost loved ones to tragedy and his family to neglect. Now, at a point of great crisis, he unbelievably and inexplicably finds himself transported to what appears to be another world.

Suddenly he’s confronted with profoundly...more
Published February 4th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published 1998)

Timothy Stone
The Bible describes spiritual warfare in Ephesians chapter six, among other places. What if it were possible to roll back the screen of the supposedly tangible, and actually *see* the battles that take place between angels and demons? What if we could see more clearly than ever the actual truth of the spiritual world that we claim to believe in, but so often act as if we do not?

These interesting questions are explored by Randy Alcorn in his book, *Edge of Eternity*. The earlier-reviewed book, *T...more
Keiki Hendrix
‘A non-stop, action packed, personality changing novel destined to be a classic.’

For the Christian struggling through the ever changing emotional roller coaster we call this world and battling the tidal wave of mental conversations we all conduct with ourselves, this is a dynamite book.

Very similar to ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ by John Bunyan and written with many of the same allegorical doctrine, I cannot say it surpasses Bunyan’s great work, but it does come close.

The journey of Nick Seagrave and hi...more
Hannah
In this book, the central character is whisked into another world—worlds, actually, that overlap. Here he experiences the hereafter, while still alive.

I have mixed emotions about this book. While some of the lessons learned through this allegorical-style tale are valuable and reinforce important Biblical teachings, the writing-style and other story elements were, in my opinion, rather lacking.

I never felt connected to any of the characters save one, they never felt alive. The only one that was...more
Melissa Travis
FABULOUS book. The imagery was amazing, and many truths were well-communicated through the story. Has a very interesting fantasy-genre feel.
Ashley
Jun 02, 2008 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a cool book- it is one i can turn back to and read again and again.
Lisa Rathbun
I enjoyed reading this as an allegory. As a novel, the plot was often disjointed and episodic, but the points being made about life and salvation were clearly communicated. The author did express appreciation to C. S. Lewis and others in his acknowledgements, but I felt that he directly quoted Lewis without giving him any credit much too much from using the term Shadowlands to saying Erebus was just a crack in the tile of Charis (see The Great Divorce) to having a character say, "Everyone you pa...more
Bradley
Too easy to see the allegory here. The story started off fantastically where the subject suddenly finds himself in another world. This world has other-worldly animals in it, one that is chasing the person who finds himself in a bad dream. A great start but from there, it goes downhill. The subject has a conversion, ascends into "leadership" of a group of believers, then encounters the "leader is above it all" moment where he does something inappropriate (or almost does) as a believer, let alone...more
Donald
Edge of Eternity is the first book that I've read by Randy Alcorn. After seeing all of the very positive reviews, and being that I love a good Christian allegory, I was excited to dig into Alcorn's book. Without a doubt, Alcorn does an admirable job of putting some things into perspective and makes some nice comparisons. Unfortunately, despite a well intentioned book, this falls very short of others in the genre. Alcorn's characters are shallow and obvious. The dangers in the book are never scar...more
Linda
I wasn't sure I was going to like this when I first started reading it, but quickly got into it and found it to be pretty well done. The last Christian fiction work I attempted was The Shack, and it was awful (IMO). As others have pointed out this book is similar to Pilgrim's Progress, depicting the Christian life as a journey to our final destination in Heaven. Alcorn was obviously inspired and influenced by Bunyan's work; there are too many similarities to deny it, but it is more modern and th...more
Hank Pharis
A noble and brave attempt. It reminded me a little of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. But it made me realize that there are few fantasy stories that I really like. Fans of Tolkein for example might like this but I've just about decided that for me most fantasy is more boring than stories closer to real life.
Lorie
If I had known this was an allegory, I'm not sure I would have chosen it - but I'm very glad I did! Alcorn, one of my favorite authors, walks the reader through the moments of a non-believer's journey toward faith, and beyond; he tells the story of the struggle, contemplation and discovery that the protagonist experiences as he is forced to face, for the first time, the mysteries and realities of spiritual choices and consequences. The result is a fresh and deeply profound exploration of theolog...more
Violinknitter
This is book was such poorly written fantasy that I don't even know how it got past the editors to be published. I'm very disappointed: I've read some Alcorn before, and while it wasn't great literature, it was still a decent story fairly competently told. Not this book! (I'll have to come back & write a fuller review when I have the chance.)
Beverly Hartley
My most favorite book. I've read it 4 times and I'd read it again.
Casper
Oct 29, 2012 Casper marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I never got to finish this book, but I really enjoyed every bit that I had read. I was about sixteen when I read half of it, but that was four years ago and I don't have the time. I have to say that even as a non-Christian, this is a strikingly entertaining novel. Not only this, but it also makes you question life in so many ways, and even though this is narrowed for the Christian aesthetic, I think that the values taught in this novel is applicable to anyone of any faith. I'll probably never fi...more
Tammie Olson
Good Fiction with a true meaning.
Lyndi
So far I am having a hard time digging this book and have put it aside to read other things. I am hoping the urge will hit me at some point to continue it, but you never know!
Update- 7-29-09 still trying! Around 100 pages now, still just oo weird for me, but want to say I did get through it.

I did make it through, which I had questioned if I was even going to be able to. Not a horrible book, just not real great either. I had a few things from it that I liked, but overall, just read it to say I di...more
Sharayah
This is a pretty good book. I read it in high school and thought it was amazing, so I figured I'd read it again 7 years later and see if I still found it amazing. Eh, I wouldn't say amazing, but good. It's Christian allegory. The symbolism is pretty transparent, and I guess I just wanted something a little more complex. It did change the way I'm thinking about daily life, and challenge me to think of things in a more eternal perspective, and I do appreciate that.
Aaron Buer
I really did not enjoy this book. I felt like the author was trying to duplicate C.S. Lewis or Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progess but since he couldn't tell a compelling story it didn't work. However, what I really disliked what the constant Christian cliches and overabundance of cheesy character development. I felt like the author was trying to tell a story that would help non-Christians become Christians but wrote in a language only Baptists could appreciate.

Sorry Bailey.
Jessica Campbell
I could NOT put this book down.. I am going to read it again soon and rarely re read books. I am not a religious person but being in AA at the time I had fallen into this book I found myself questioning how I took many things in life for granted. I strongly recommend this book.. not matter what religion, or what life experience or hardships you have or haven't had. It is filled with so much detail, I could actually see the wings of the beast in my head..
Bekki
I was so disappointed! I LOVE Randy Alcorn's books....However, this was just so hard to read...The ENTIRE book is basically symbolism/metaphor/allegory...It got really old...I also feel that while the book has a great point, (how much we need Jesus, and what our sin actually does to us..), I don't think that anyone who hasn't been raised in the church, or who doesn't have a STRONG biblical background, would have no clue what was going on...
Andrew Donager
I really did enjoy reading this book but the only problem that I had was that the message that was being presented is the same one that we read in the bible. So why not keep the same names, scenery, so on and so forth. Why change Jesus into the Woodsman, that just did make sense. And I really thought that it brought the book down. The ending I thought was amazing but it could not bring the book back from the rest.
Ann Thomas
This is an allegory of the Christian journey, like a modern Pilgrim's progress. I was skeptical of it working, and in the beginning I wasn't keen. The incidents happen very abruptly and jerk you out of the narrative in confusion. I was just going to quit, when the Woodsman arrived. From here on it was very good indeed. I would recommend it, but you have to persevere through the first half to get to the good half.
RacheL
I really enjoyed this book and the perspective it gives. I was reminded to think carefully about decisions and choices for once made, there are effects that cannot be reversed. Alcorn crafts a story judgment and justice but leaves room for redemption. His main character was realist and easy to identify with.

The ending will probably "throw you for a curve!" :)
Annette
A dissapointment after Alcorn's excellent first two novels "Deadline" and "Dominion." The author takes every metaphor or allegory he's ever heard and crams them into a single, not-very-coherent story.
If you're after allegory, stick with Lewis - for instance, "The Great Divorce" or even "Pilgrim's Regress" if you're after a real tough read. :)
Rebecca Rash
I read a good half of this book before putting it down. I don't like it when writers write so matter of fact about heaven... there was several things I was questioning. Instead of filling my head with a fiction writers view of eternity, I decided to put it down and focus on the Bible's view. Others may be fine with this book, it just wasn't for me.
Kristin
The character in this book has the opportunity to view his life from a new perspective, outside of his own life on earth. Having the opportunity to make choices in this other world that will affect his final destination, toward a city likened to heaven or hell, gave me pause to consider some of my own decisions, motives, and actions.
Orpha Hernandez
This is a very profound book. I love it because again it shows how the actions that we take can affect our lives and of those around us. Also it let's us take a peak at the Spiritual world from a Christian point of view. I have read this book several times and plan on reading it again.
Rachel
Fantasy. Excellent allegory for the gospel and one's personal journey in faith.
Bailey
Probably one of my favorite books, EVER. It inspired me, moved me, and I dont think my creative side of the brain has EVER worked so hard! My dream is to make this book into a movie and to work as the Production Designer on set. What a challenge and an honor!
Rebecca
Works best when he's just telling the story; when he tries too hard, it can get a little preachy. Obviously the theology won't 100% track--it is an allegory--but it gives you a fresh perspective and a new way of looking at things that can rock you to your core.
  • The Martyr's Song
  • Jimmy
  • Silenced: The Wrath of God Descends (Underground Zealot, #2)
  • The Listener
  • Tilly
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Bad Ground
  • Wisdom Hunter
  • Time Lottery
  • Head Game
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Book of Days
  • Unspoken
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim...more
More about Randy Alcorn...
Courageous Safely Home Heaven Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1) Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)

“The conflicting missions of the two armies seemed to have no fog, no gray, only black-and-white clarity. I had lived my life in terms of compromise, rule-bending, trade-offs, concessions, bargaining, striking deals, finding middle ground. In these two great armies, there was no such thing. Good was good, and evil was evil, and they shared no common ground.” 6 likes