The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics

The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The award-winning illustrator Grady Klein has paired up with the world’s only stand-up economist, Yoram Bauman, PhD, to take the dismal out of the dismal science. From the optimizing individual to game theory to price theory, The Cartoon Introduction to Economics is the most digestible, explicable, and humorous 200-page introduction to microeconomics you’ll ever read.Bauma...more
Published January 19th 2010 by Hill and Wang (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Cartoon Introduction to Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartoon Introduction to Economics

Joe
Here's is what I think about mathematics:

Therefore, I have no idea what possessed me to read this book. Maybe I was encouraged by my friend's four-star rating. Perhaps I wanted, once again, to try to conquer my fear of and anger at math. Whatever my motivations, they were rewarded with The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Microeconomics.

No, I'm dead serious. And I learned! In fact, if math classes used comic books to teach, I swear to God I'd be an actuary by now.

Yoram Bauman, described on the...more
Almira
Buku ini menjawab pertanyaan provokatif yang tertera di sampul belakangnya. Misalkan, "Ingin mengerti ekonomi tapi tak sempat ikut kuliah atau membaca buku teks yang tebal dan sulit?" atau pertanyaan sederhana seperti "Mau tahu kenapa harga-harga naik?". Untuk orang yang awam ekonomi seperti saya, Kartun Ekonomi cukup membantu untuk memahami ilmu yang satu ini. Seperti seri Kartun KPG(Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia) lainnya, tentu saja ilmu Ekonomi yang, menurut saya, logika banget tersebut disaji...more
Ali
Informative and very entertaining. Highly recommended for those who are new to the subject, like me! Though I'm exposed to macroeconomy and investment, almost all presented micro-economy concepts are new to me. The book presents ideas in a simple (or maybe oversimplified) language. The book could be sufficient reading for those who want to grap the basics, while being beneficial as a starting point for those who plan to go deeper.
Martyn
I enjoyed this book for much of its 211 pages but I faltered right at the end over two ideas. One was the statement that "You might think that a decentralized economy guided by individual self-interest would lead to chaos, war and disaster...but...we think it's the best option". This book was written in 2010, two years after the market crash caused by self-interested bankers and a chaotic war that was paid for by a credit card, the bill for which was immediately handed off to the populace. So I...more
Melanie Bugera
If you have ever wondered why when the government taxes the big fat corporations it ends up being paid by the consumer - this book is for you!
Ryan
Happened to pick this up at the airport in Pittsburgh waiting for my flight back to Arizona. Picked it up, read it on the plane. A very straightforward, easy-to-follow guide to some of the basic principles of microeconomics, presented through cute comic strips and some eye-rolling humor. I'm not an economist, but what I read seemed to jive with what I remember from Econ 101 back in college.

Anyway, the book is most illuminating in terms of the limits of microeconomic theory. In focusing on the i...more
John
A surprisingly excellent introduction to economics that clearly crystallises the key components of academic economic thought, which seems so frequently to be at odds with observations of the "real world".

As someone generally a bit skeptical of whether economic theory stands up to the real world (I am a geologist/mineral economist, so really have a more applied view of life), or really has anything to add of practical use to day-to-day life, this book has changed my mind somewhat, making me appre...more
Nick
Seems like a fine introduction to Microeconomics to me. It's now apparent the author has an environmental bias, and he's pro government interference in this regard, which is fine with me. I found this volume slightly less interesting and more confusing than the Macroeconomics volume, and part of that has to do with my also finding certain economic terms and concepts, such as elasticity, unecessarily esoteric, boring, or somewhat balderdash.

I think I learned the most in Part Two: Strategic Intera...more
Mary Whisner
If you came to law school without taking economics (or if your memory is dim), you might be confused by references to the Coase Theorem, marginal utility, the Prisoner's Dilemma, and other economic concepts thrown around in law school classes and law review articles.

Good news: The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics can give you a quick introduction (or review). The presentation is lighthearted, but the content is solid.

The author is Yoram Bauman, who teaches in the UW'...more
B A
What does this book promise? a) Basic info on microeconomics b) humor... This book met both of its promises. Many times a wide smile flashed on mu face while reading and I learnt new things such as auctions and coase theory tough I know quite much about microeconomics. I admire that the Cartoon Introduction has a different structure than, and cover some issues that are not covered by standard text books. Over all, it was really really good.
----
Bu kitap ne vaat ediyor? a) mikroiktisat hakkında t...more
Punjung Raras
Buku ini mungkin lebih menarik dalam versi bahasa Inggrisnya….karena untuk orang yang sudah pernah belajar ekonomi dan buku panduannya bahasa inggris, istilah-istilah yang digunakan terasa aneh dan kurang pas, contohnya seperti, tangan tak terlihat (invisible hand), biaya tertanam (sunk cost), teori permainan (game theory), pembaikan pareto (pareto improvement), informasi asimetris (asymmetric information), pilihan merugikan (adverse selection), dan banyak lagi. Akan lebih menarik lagi (bagi say...more
Steven
Funny, engaging, well-informed, concise, good art. Pretty much everything I remember from my community college economics class was touched upon in this book, plus I learned a few new things. As an introduction, this book also does a good job at directing the reader toward good places for further reading. I was surprised by the artwork too. Grady Klein's impressionistic inkwork reminds me a bit of the work Bill Watterson and Mike Mignola, he nicely conveys a diverse range of characters, and most...more
Christian Bouwense
An interesting and funny book that is informative but doesn't take itself too seriously.
Andrew
I am giving this book five stars because I really feel it achieves everything it sets out to do: make microeconomics easy to understand while also making it a little fun. This book was recommended to me by an economics professor in preparation for an econ class. I have very little background in economics, so I found it to be a wonderful overview of many major concepts in micro that I have heard of but never really knew what they meant. I would recommend this to anyone who is seeking to gain a li...more
Ben
Jan 18, 2013 Ben rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This is a very good book. It is an introduction to economics in a comic book format, and it does a very good job of explaining the harder topics, while still keeping them funny and lighthearted. It has three main topics, and within them it has chapters, each containing similar, but not identical theories to the ones in the same section. I liked it a lot because I learned a lot about economics, (Now a big interest of mine!) and it was a good, humorous read that makes me want to read it over and o...more
Kimberly
Who would ever have thought I would enjoy Economics? Great book!
Richard
Picked this up a a used book sale for 50 cents. Not a bad introduction to the subject. Treatments of elasticity of supply and demand, marginal analysis, game theory, and tragedy of the commons among other principles of microeconomics are pretty clear albeit at a very simplified level. I can definitely see using this in a high school social studies/economics class. The illustrations are hardly exceptional yet they work well with the text and do aid in making the material accessible.
Jack Cheng
This book is well illustrated and explains the basics of economics, but a lot of it is on the theoretical end of things. For example, it explains why supply and demand curves are the same as marginal cost curves, and what Pareto inefficiencies are. Bottom line: I don't care. I was hoping more for a Freakonomics type "real-world" approach. This would be a good supplement to an Econ textbook, but if you're taking the class, why would you need this?
MsBrie
Excellent both as a primer AND as a review from the days of undergraduate school. Bauman makes a lot of difficult concepts, such as discounting, incredibly easy to understand. "The Cartoon Introduction to Economics" provides the foundations for the intro econ studier.

Incidentally, if you enjoy the 'comic' form of educating yourself, I highly recommend, "Health Care Reform: What It Is, Why It's Necessary, How It Works."
Benjamin
Fun, funny, and light introduction to Microeconomics. It's a quick read and worth the time.
Craig
Book three on my recent push to learn more about economics and this one has some value, but certainly needed more oomph to get a higher rating. I guess my biggest problem with the book is the illustrations which are more annoying than humorous. The text is fine, but a series like this would have benefited from more professional drawings.
Sonia Almeida
How to learn what is happening in everyday news in a fun and easy way. I recommend it to everybody who, like me, does not have a clue about economical theory, but likes to see the news and be informed about what is going on in the world, and actually understanding some of the words they say.
Now, to the next volume, macroeconomics. :)
Abbie Popa
I thought this was a very good quick and dirty introduction to microeconomics, I learned a lot from it. The hardcore math isn't included in the comic (it reads fine without it) but you can get it from the associated website if that suits your fancy. The examples are practical and really help out with the concepts.
Marc
Of course, you'd have to love economics to like this book. Funny and great refresher for anyone and would be great for giving a broad overview to kids of various ages depending on their maturity. I look forward to the future volumes. Breaks down the major principals to the basics.
Gphatty
Quite good -- it's actually better as a textbook than most textbooks. I wish it was slightly funnier, but the fact that it did a great job explaining economic concepts in visual format was good enough for me. Can't wait for Macro!
Kate Hastings
Jun 19, 2012 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate Hastings by: Alice
Grades 7+ and Adults. Okay this book is Fabulous. Fabulous. What a great way to present sometimes complicated information. This should be a college text book. Or required reading for fiscal literacy in high schools. Seriously awesome.
Ian
The *perfect* introduction to microeconomics for me! Right at my level. Seriously, this was a really good book, that presented a difficult subject in a very easy to understand format. I am going to read volume 2 now.
Toru
Jul 20, 2011 Toru rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: econ
Fun and quick intro to microeconomics. Can be a little unclear sometimes. Fortunately, there is a complementary microecon textbook available online that probably elucidates some concepts more thoroughly.
Cmlynner
I really enjoyed it. It was funny in the right way and has everything a normal person needs to know and a little bit more. I find myself considering the Pareto efficiency of situations now.
Abby Jean
very clear and simple - sometimes too simple to give the full explanation of the concept. good for me, though, who had absolutely zero familiarity with these ideas and terminology.
  • Economics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Principles of Economics
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • Filthy Lucre: Economics for People Who Hate Capitalism
  • The Economics Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained
  • Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Armchair Economist: Economics & Everyday Life
  • Cartoon Guide to Genetics
  • Dear Undercover Economist: Priceless Advice on Money, Work, Sex, Kids, and Life's Other Challenges
  • The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates
  • Discover Your Inner Economist: Use Incentives to Fall in Love, Survive Your Next Meeting, and Motivate Your Dentist
  • The Great Equations: Breakthroughs in Science from Pythagoras to Heisenberg
  • Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • The Price of Everything: A Parable of Possibility and Prosperity
  • Us and Them: Understanding Your Tribal Mind
  • How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes
The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume Two: Macroeconomics The Cartoon Introduction to Climate Change The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics: 1 Introducción a la macroeconomía en viñetas Introduccion a la Macroeconomia en Vinetas