The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries (Encyclopedia Brown)

The Case of the Exploding Plumbing and Other Mysteries (Encyclopedia Brown #11)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Match Wits With The World's Greatest Boy Sleuth A huge footprint in the soft earth . . . counterfeit money in a bird's nest . . . a threatening letter . . . an exploding toilet . . . a missing silver dollar . . . and a stolen newspaper clipping that could be valuable! These are the only traces left at the scene of ten brain-twisting crimes that Encyclopedia Brown must solv...more
Published 1974 by Scholastic

Joy
These are all fun reads that make you think. RL3 or thereabouts; so it's like the detective above Nate the Great. I have started to give these books to my eldest nephew (who is now 7) and he is enjoying them.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Cheryl in CC NV
As I work my way through these I get better and better at catching the details. This one has a mystery that might be difficult for modern children who don't know about typewriters, but I solved all but one of the stories as I was reading along. I just don't understand why Mr. Brown doesn't learn how to see mysteries with his son's eye and learn to handle them on his own... ;)
Nancy St. Clair
My daughter and I love reading these together. It's great practice for her to hone her listening and reasoning skills in order to pick up on any clue that help solve the mystery. Besides, I love rereading and becoming reacquainted with Encyclopedia Brown and company.
Sharon
I've not been much of a mystery fan as an adult, but I loved this series, and read the ones in our library several times.
Maggie
I can never figure out any of the Encyclopedia Brown mysteries before I finish them!
Shayne
Not as cool this time around as I remembered from my youth. Sorry, Encyclopedia.
Jason Ruggles
This was my first Encyclopedia Brown book. I thought it was pretty fun.
Erin
hmmm, i really don't think kids get into so many problems
Mike
Fun book that I read with the kids.
Cws
JMAR4-Sob
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 15, 2014
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Apr 06, 2014
Antonio Kleber Gomes
Antonio Kleber Gomes marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Brady
Brady marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Mar 25, 2014
Nara
Nara added it
Mar 22, 2014
Michael Watson
Michael Watson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Carley Johnson
Carley Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Tiffany Wolfert
Tiffany Wolfert marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
  • The Triceratops Pops Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #15)
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)
  • The Amusement Park Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #25)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • The Quicksand Question (A to Z Mysteries, #17)
  • The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog, #13)
  • Nate the Great and the Stolen Base
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)