Start by marking “The Bed Book” as Want to Read:
The Bed Book

The Bed Book

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Contains a catalogue of desirable beds, ranging from an elephant bed for hot weather to a tank bed which can travel anywhere and a bouncable bed - surely the most desirable of all - which can bounce you "over the moon to Timbuktoo". By the author of "Ariel" and "The Bell Jar".
Hardcover
Published by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Bed Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bed Book

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownDeclan Grows Up by C. Austin LeeMr. Zidderdeedee by Diane Page
Picture Books for the Sensitive Child
49th out of 216 books — 36 voters
Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
213th out of 399 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
This was a favorite bed time read, many years before I ever knew anything else by or about Sylvia Plath. I so wanted one of these magical beds, especially the submarine bed or the snack bed or the flying bed or... well, they're all pretty awesome. Plath even made the hammock sound special and enticing.

Lisa Vegan
Mar 09, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bedtime and any time reading
Recommended to Lisa by: Miriam
Yes, this is by THE Sylvia Plath, but it’s one I’d never heard of until recently. I’m glad her children had/have it. It shows another side of her, and I think shows what a fun mother and person she could be, and just highlights the waste that was her premature death. Now, her poem on its own is whimsical and fun. But for me what makes this book and the wonderful illustrations. They bring the poem’s words to life. Very enjoyable! This would make a fine bedtime book, as long as the little ones are ...more
Zaheer Khan
Great imagination!

Most Beds are Beds
For sleeping or resting
But the best Beds are much
More interesting

If we have nothing better
To do
A Facebook Bed
Is for me and for you

This lovely little bed
Is specially for you
If you check Facebook mobile
Every minute or two

With its four wheels
You may even move around
You can chatter or clatter
Or change your background

If you post braggy updates
In an effort to woo
Then the Facebook Bed
Is the place for Hullabaloo

A Facebook Bed
Has a touch screen
That yo
Janet Ford Ford
This was my all time favorite picture book as a child. Unfortunately it has been out of print since 1989, so copies are hard to come by. Sylvia Plath also wrote the Bell Jar and rumor has it she wrote this book for her own children.

The book is filled with the most fantastic descriptions and illustrations of beds built for outlandish adventures, fantasies, and dreams. It just really sets a child up to have beautiful dreams.

If it were still in print, I'd give a copy at every baby shower I attend
David Gallagher
Wonder if Dallas Clayton's An Awesome Book was inspired by this - they share similarities in content and style. I can just imagine kid Dallas falling asleep to this book; as, I'm sure, have tens of other children. Also reminded me of Dr. Seuss at times - lightly. Gorgeous text to match gorgeous illustration - Plath can do just anything.
Amy Paget
I was very interested to see how Sylvia Plath would approach a childrens' bedtime story! This delightful bedtime rhyme illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully is long out of print, but very enjoyable. ...'in a Spottable Bed/it never matters/where jam rambles/ where paint splatters!"
Mike
Dec 30, 2012 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: poetry, shannon
As read by Shannon. Excellent! ;)
Alejandro Morales
El acontecimiento editorial del 2014 en nuestro idioma, la aparición de "El libro de las camas" de Sylvia Plath, ilustrado por Quentin Blake y publicado por los Libros del Zorro Rojo. Disfruté su lectura desde la primera hasta la última página, desde la portada hasta la contraportada. Es, desde mi modesto punto de vista, una joya de libro que esperaba desde hace mucho tiempo (P.D.: Hasta donde sé las ediciones en inglés de este libro están agotadas incluso en la actualidad).
Wendy
Quentin Blake's illustrations frame this humourous poem by Sylvia Plath and reading Blake's "The Laureate's Party" led me to this re-read. I stumbled upon this years ago while rummaging through a bookstore delete bin. It seemed incongruous to me at the time that Plath should be...well...funny. But "The Bed Book" is light-hearted and what I suspect will be one of the few Plath poems you could share with your kids as a bedtime story...
Gabrielle
Lovely and whimsical (Plath?) with beautiful illustrations. Good read for emerging readers with big words (propelled, submarine) mixed in for a fun challenge.
K M
Such a delightful, whimsical book- what child wouldn't love a Snack Bed, or a Tank Bed with treads that can take it through a cobbledy town?
Tino Prinzi
This is literally only one poem, but the illustrations add much to the poem. A very quick, enjoyable read. Definitely one to find in the library like I have rather than purchase.
Gina Morgan
As a child, delightful. As an adult, the sort of thing I will one day read to my children.

A charming verse that is thoroughly readable but never twee or overtly predictable, unlike lots of verse for children. I especially like the use of internal rhyme and half-rhyme, a quality she brought to her adult work that I'm pleased to see mirrored her pieces for young audiences.
Mme. Bookling ~
One of my dearest friends bought me this book as a gift. It is a first edition of Sylvia Plath's children's books. It was so well-written and surprising. I often mistakenly make the very error Plath was seeking to correct in that I put her in a box of darkness. She was such a multi-faceted woman, full of whimsy and genius. I feel she and I will become very good friends.
Carol
The above is not the edititon I have. My edition was illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully and is the first American edition of 1976. Condition is poor, many page have crayon markings. Owned by Elizabeth B. Coyne and Caragh M. Mclaughlin.
Lucy
I didn't know Sylvia Plath wrote children's stories! The poem/story was fun and imaginative, but what really caught my attention was the warm and whimsical illustrations by Emily Arnold McCully.
Shannon
Dec 29, 2012 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shannon by: Mike
Best Christmas present ever!!;) I love Sylvia Plath and this book showed me a different side of her. Great children's book, but I also enjoyed it as an adult.

Thanks, Michael. ;)
Clementine
Plath mystique aside, this is an imaginative book. The rhythm is surprisingly stumbly at times but still makes it fun.
Susan Klemetti
My favorite growing up, I hope to share it with my little one soon. Which bed is your favorite?
evie
One of my favourites when I was a wee bairn. I wanted the submarine bed desperately.
Cara
Fun & imaginative!
Erin Vance
Erin Vance marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Veronika Říhovská
Veronika Říhovská marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Keeley
Keeley marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Karly Lao
Karly Lao marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • The Goodnight Train
  • The Haunting of Sylvia Plath
  • Ariel's Gift: Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, and the Story of Birthday Letters
  • The Mitten: An Old Ukrainian Folktale
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Lover of Unreason: Assia Wevill, Sylvia Plath's Rival and Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
  • Acorn
  • Holocaust Poetry
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Art
  • Polkabats and Octopus Slacks: 14 Stories
Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer.

Known primarily for her poetry, Plath also wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar, under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas. The book's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, is a bright, ambitious student at Smith College who begins to experience a mental breakdown while interning for a fashion magazine in New York. The plot paralle
More about Sylvia Plath...
The Bell Jar Ariel The Collected Poems The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath The Colossus and Other Poems