The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories

The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A young widow who lusts, a daughter who aches, a shopaholic who hungers...The Joy of Funerals is a riveting collection that explores the lives of nine young women, each willing to take drastic measures to fill the voids created by longing and loneliness. The first eight face death differently, while the ninth woman Nina ties them all together by attending funerals in her s...more
Published April 9th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

stephanie
how disappointing.

it's really nine stories connected by a cemetery and a series of women who deal with loneliness after death in different ways.

frankly, i was slightly disturbed by the first story and don't think i got over it, and i'm not one that is easily disturbed. after that i was just kind of bored and paging through.

it had such potential . . .
Debbie
I can not remember how this book was recommended to me, but it is a crazy book and I liked it. The first few chapters are storys about people who have lost someone in there lives. The last chapters are about a lonely girl who attends funerals to feel a part of something. I have a unique outlook on funerals and so I enjoyed how the different perspectives intertwined.
Kim
I really didn't like this book very much. I almost quit during the first chapter because it was kind of crude, then I realized that it was seperate stories and none of the others were as crude as the first. It was very odd and I didn't think that it did a good job of making the point it was trying to. I don't really recommend it.
Deborah
A collection of stories having to do with death. I didn't care much for the first story, but I am glad that I continued to read the other stories. This book isn't my typical read, but I did enjoy the book. The stories are a bit strange, a bit sad, a bit morbid, a bit odd, a bit of black comedy...
Nicolle
i wanted it to be good, but i didn't identify with any of the characters. the joy of funerals novella at the end just made me feel weird and uncomfortable. the characters are too lonely and weird for me... the only one i really liked is gail with her need for speed.
Tina
Dec 26, 2007 Tina marked it as to-read
I really like the author - though only known through brief encounters - and really want everyone to read this book. I have read nothing but amazing reviews and cannot wait to start on it.
Jessica
I thought this was such a cool concept. The book is a collection of short stories with a common theme (death) and the last story tied them all together in an interesting way.
Kelley
I liked the book especially how all of the tales were woven together by the author something that you don't think is really going to happen when you start the book.
Bradley
I enjoyed this book of short stories concerning women in their 30's living in NYC and trying to deal with life.
Patricia L.
Couldn't finish it. It just didn't intrigue me enough. And it is due back at the library.
Jessica Hunter
Short stories with interesting perspectives of death and grieving.
Brenda
Dark and quirky and beautifully written. I could not put it down.
VegasGal
Strange yet compelling and sometimes disturbing story.
Nicole Baldino
Nicole Baldino marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Laci
Laci marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Bob Bucci
Bob Bucci marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Ande
Ande is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Meridith Yeoman
Meridith Yeoman marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Jackie Vazquez
Jackie Vazquez marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Courtney
Courtney is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2013
Ann
Ann added it
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alix received a degree in Educational Theater from NYU, and has taught Fiction, Creative Writing, Personal Essays, and Writing for Magazines for the past fifteen years. She is the recipient of several awards and fellowships from programs such as the Wesleyan Writers Conference, the Skidmore College Writerʼs Institute, the Sarah Lawrence Summer Program, and the Squaw Valleyʼs Screenwritersʼ Summer...more
More about Alix Strauss...
Death Becomes Them: Unearthing the Suicides of the Brilliant, the Famous, and the Notorious Based Upon Availability Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up Britney Spears: An Unauthorized Biography No Authority