Start by marking “The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories

The Joy of Funerals: A Novel in Stories

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A young widow who lusts, a daughter who aches, a shopaholic who hungers...The Joy of Funerals is a riveting collection that explores the lives of nine young women, each willing to take drastic measures to fill the voids created by longing and loneliness. The first eight face death differently, while the ninth woman Nina ties them all together by attending funerals in her s ...more
Published April 9th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Funerals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Funerals

stephanie
Apr 26, 2008 stephanie rated it it was ok
how disappointing.

it's really nine stories connected by a cemetery and a series of women who deal with loneliness after death in different ways.

frankly, i was slightly disturbed by the first story and don't think i got over it, and i'm not one that is easily disturbed. after that i was just kind of bored and paging through.

it had such potential . . .
Kerry Miller
Aug 14, 2014 Kerry Miller rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
The kind of painfully one-dimensional character sketches you'd expect to see from a college sophomore trying to hook up with her professor
Kayla
Apr 19, 2015 Kayla rated it did not like it
I. Can't. Do it. Total junk. After 3 of the stories I have to call it quits.
Debbie
Dec 12, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it
I can not remember how this book was recommended to me, but it is a crazy book and I liked it. The first few chapters are storys about people who have lost someone in there lives. The last chapters are about a lonely girl who attends funerals to feel a part of something. I have a unique outlook on funerals and so I enjoyed how the different perspectives intertwined.
Kim
Oct 11, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book very much. I almost quit during the first chapter because it was kind of crude, then I realized that it was seperate stories and none of the others were as crude as the first. It was very odd and I didn't think that it did a good job of making the point it was trying to. I don't really recommend it.
Deborah
Dec 29, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
A collection of stories having to do with death. I didn't care much for the first story, but I am glad that I continued to read the other stories. This book isn't my typical read, but I did enjoy the book. The stories are a bit strange, a bit sad, a bit morbid, a bit odd, a bit of black comedy...
Nicolle
Mar 11, 2008 Nicolle rated it liked it
i wanted it to be good, but i didn't identify with any of the characters. the joy of funerals novella at the end just made me feel weird and uncomfortable. the characters are too lonely and weird for me... the only one i really liked is gail with her need for speed.
Tina
Dec 26, 2007 Tina marked it as to-read
I really like the author - though only known through brief encounters - and really want everyone to read this book. I have read nothing but amazing reviews and cannot wait to start on it.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
I thought this was such a cool concept. The book is a collection of short stories with a common theme (death) and the last story tied them all together in an interesting way.
Kelley
Jan 31, 2010 Kelley rated it liked it
I liked the book especially how all of the tales were woven together by the author something that you don't think is really going to happen when you start the book.
Bradley
Feb 03, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed this book of short stories concerning women in their 30's living in NYC and trying to deal with life.
Patricia L.
Sep 04, 2012 Patricia L. rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. It just didn't intrigue me enough. And it is due back at the library.
Jessica Hunter
Jul 05, 2008 Jessica Hunter rated it liked it
Short stories with interesting perspectives of death and grieving.
Brenda
Apr 01, 2008 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Dark and quirky and beautifully written. I could not put it down.
VegasGal
Jul 15, 2008 VegasGal rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2008
Strange yet compelling and sometimes disturbing story.
Jenna Stahl
Jenna Stahl rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Lisa Wilderman
Lisa Wilderman marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Antoinette
Antoinette marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Megan O'donnell
Megan O'donnell marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Cianna  Fige
Cianna Fige rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Mar 31, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
Marilyn Beckwith O'Brien
Marilyn Beckwith O'Brien marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Ruby
Ruby rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
  • Of Cats and Men: Stories
  • Back in the Days
  • Flowering and Other Stories
  • Symphony City
Alix received a degree in Educational Theater from NYU, and has taught Fiction, Creative Writing, Personal Essays, and Writing for Magazines for the past fifteen years. She is the recipient of several awards and fellowships from programs such as the Wesleyan Writers Conference, the Skidmore College Writerʼs Institute, the Sarah Lawrence Summer Program, and the Squaw Valleyʼs Screenwritersʼ Summer ...more
More about Alix Strauss...