Start by marking “Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke” as Want to Read:
Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
One Fine Fox

Four famished foxes make fun of their brother Fosdyke, who feels fondly for fried figs, fennel, and French bread. Leaving him behind to fry and flambé, they go foraging for fowl in a forbidden farmyard. Unfortunately, the foxes find the fowl forwarned. Foiled, they return to their den. Will they ever filch a fabulous farmyard feast? Or will they forgo fowl and
Published April 11th 1997 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Lexy D
May 07, 2009 Lexy D rated it it was amazing
omg I cannot believe i came across this. I don't think I've thought about this book since I was...7? Damn. I LOVED this book. Loved.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 13, 2015 Emma Daugherty rated it liked it
This book has a funny story and includes a challenge at the beginning of the book for children to look for as many F words as they can. This is a great way to get children engaged in a story. The pictures follow along well with the story too. However, the story is a little difficult to read because of the overwhelming amount of words starting with F, many of which are very big words. This would definitely be a book for older students or for adults to read to children. Some of the words I myself ...more
Rebekah
Mar 07, 2016 Rebekah added it
Shelves: reading-350
This book is an astounding account of alliteration. The letter F is famously featured. There are over sixty words beginning with the letter F in this book. As the story unfolds, the reader begins to feel overwhelmed with the abundant and varied uses of words that start with F. Just when you think that all F words have been exhausted, another string of same letter words is utilized in telling the story of Fosdyke and his fox siblings.
The Brothers
Jan 28, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of some young foxes foraging for themselves for the first time. (Lots of words starting with F in the book!) Fosdyke doesn't go with his brothers and sisters to hunt down some chickens at the farm. Instead he concocts some fantastic meals with the ingredients at hand. His siblings disparage him, but as they continually return empty handed, they begin to appreciate Fosdyke more. For a fox is a fox whatever the food.

Fun illustrations.
Amanda
May 07, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: word-play
This is a great book for phonemic awareness. The alliterations are great, but the book also allows students to look for other items that start with the /f/ sound that are not mentioned in the story.
Joanna
More than just a fun tongue twister and an introduction to alliteration, Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke is an entertaining story about five fox siblings who are left to their own devices when their mother leaves town. Four of the foxes decide to try their own hand at hunting. But Fosdyke LOVES to cook (especially French food). Silly, well-paced, and great to read out-loud.

Note to all story time-doing folks: Practice reading this one out loud at least once before story time. Trust me; it will h
Pamelabyoung
Sep 17, 2011 Pamelabyoung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another bookstore find from our September session. This book is a read aloud feast for show offs like Gavin's mom. Alliteration galore, using dozens of f words that will not offend, made this lover of tongue twisters practically sing the story. Five fox siblings find a different way to cope with hunger when one turns out to be a master of French cuisine. In spite of the fact that hunting does not work well on a moonlit night, his expertly prepared meal satisfies his family even though it is prep ...more
Stacey
Aug 02, 2014 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I checked this book out from the library for my preschool alliteration unit. The story was cute, and a few of my kids were able to recognize the repeating sounds throughout the book.
Frances
Apr 24, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it
1.This book is full of alliterations.
2.Creates conversation about good nutrition.
3.Great pictures.

Learing Experience

Well for this book we would create a chart of all the foods that started with the letter (F).This story gives us a lot of suggestions such as fruit,figs,french bread,flan,french toast ect...
I think that I would like to introduce flan to the students as a cooking activity. flan is a custard like dessert that can be eaten warm or cold. Flan is a sweet custard that many student may f
Janis
Jul 05, 2016 Janis rated it it was amazing
Love love love the alliteration in this one! What a fun romp!
Leah Gannon
Jul 19, 2016 Leah Gannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: alliterations
Ok, but not my favorite read aloud
Nicolette
Apr 03, 2012 Nicolette rated it really liked it
This book had so many aspects in it that made it fun! It used mostly words that started with F. In the beginning it said there are at least 60 F-words in the book and asked the reader to see if they could find more! The foxes tried to hunt for food on their own but had a hard time while Fosdyke cooked his own! They decided, after much failure, that a fox is a fox, no matter the food!
Adrienne
May 06, 2010 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
funny funny book. We loved reading it. And the girls thought it was hilarious when I would try to read it really fast. (it's basically alliteration on the letter F all the way through the book - have fun with that one :)
Jillian Reed
A delightful story about a fox who says, " a fox is a fox, no matter what they eat". This book uses words that starts with the letter f as well do a teacher can read this to younger children who are learning the alphabet letters.
Jamie Shew
Aug 05, 2013 Jamie Shew rated it it was amazing
This was a great find at the library sale. A book completely built on all words starting with the letter "f". One of my favorite books to read to the kids, although it is a tongue twister.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, reading
This is a great book for teaching kids the sound the letter "F" makes, but my goodness it can get difficult to read. It is one big long tongue twister.
Carole
Aug 23, 2011 Carole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
One fox, Fosdyke, doesn't follow his siblings in their search for food. Instead he cooks vegetarian meals for his siblings.
Mary
Jun 05, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
A fantastically fun read about foxes and food! If you enjoy alliteration this is a fun picture book for kids!
Danica Midlil
What great "F" sounds throughout this whole story! Would make a great read aloud if you could keep your tongue untied!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I don't know how she does it! A story written with as many words starting with the letter "f" as she can. Clever!
Trista
Apr 22, 2011 Trista rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story using alliteration. I read this book to my class to introduce the concept of alliteration.
Lori
Sep 10, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Lot's of f words, but not the bad one. lol.
Great for expanding vocabulary!
Margie
Apr 17, 2008 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is definately a tongue twister....read it slowly. It is a funny book!

Rachel Feather
Alliteration, vocabulary: food-related words
Cate
Nov 28, 2015 Cate rated it it was amazing
I like it has time that is all.
Kayla Larsen
Dec 01, 2014 Kayla Larsen added it
Shelves: word-play
Alliteration Book
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Keith Phillips
Keith Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Double Trouble in Walla Walla
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • To Market, To Market
  • Galimoto
  • Girl Wonder: A Baseball Story in Nine Innings
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone
  • Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen
  • Serious Farm
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Bear That Heard Crying
  • A is for Salad
Pamela Duncan Edwards grew up in northern England and moved to the United States several years ago with her husband and two sons. She has lived in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. Her father wrote children’s stories for magazines in England and his love of children’s literature was a huge influence on her. Pamela taught preschool for eleven years in England before becoming a children’s librar ...more
More about Pamela Duncan Edwards...