Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  19 reviews
One Fine Fox

Four famished foxes make fun of their brother Fosdyke, who feels fondly for fried figs, fennel, and French bread. Leaving him behind to fry and flambé, they go foraging for fowl in a forbidden farmyard. Unfortunately, the foxes find the fowl forwarned. Foiled, they return to their den. Will they ever filch a fabulous farmyard feast? Or will they forgo fowl and...more
Published April 11th 1997 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke

Lexy D
omg I cannot believe i came across this. I don't think I've thought about this book since I was...7? Damn. I LOVED this book. Loved.
Amanda
This is a great book for phonemic awareness. The alliterations are great, but the book also allows students to look for other items that start with the /f/ sound that are not mentioned in the story.
Joanna
More than just a fun tongue twister and an introduction to alliteration, Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke is an entertaining story about five fox siblings who are left to their own devices when their mother leaves town. Four of the foxes decide to try their own hand at hunting. But Fosdyke LOVES to cook (especially French food). Silly, well-paced, and great to read out-loud.

Note to all story time-doing folks: Practice reading this one out loud at least once before story time. Trust me; it will h...more
Pamelabyoung
Another bookstore find from our September session. This book is a read aloud feast for show offs like Gavin's mom. Alliteration galore, using dozens of f words that will not offend, made this lover of tongue twisters practically sing the story. Five fox siblings find a different way to cope with hunger when one turns out to be a master of French cuisine. In spite of the fact that hunting does not work well on a moonlit night, his expertly prepared meal satisfies his family even though it is prep...more
Stacey Jansen
I checked this book out from the library for my preschool alliteration unit. The story was cute, and a few of my kids were able to recognize the repeating sounds throughout the book.
Frances
1.This book is full of alliterations.
2.Creates conversation about good nutrition.
3.Great pictures.

Learing Experience

Well for this book we would create a chart of all the foods that started with the letter (F).This story gives us a lot of suggestions such as fruit,figs,french bread,flan,french toast ect...
I think that I would like to introduce flan to the students as a cooking activity. flan is a custard like dessert that can be eaten warm or cold. Flan is a sweet custard that many student may f...more
Nicolette
This book had so many aspects in it that made it fun! It used mostly words that started with F. In the beginning it said there are at least 60 F-words in the book and asked the reader to see if they could find more! The foxes tried to hunt for food on their own but had a hard time while Fosdyke cooked his own! They decided, after much failure, that a fox is a fox, no matter the food!
Adrienne
funny funny book. We loved reading it. And the girls thought it was hilarious when I would try to read it really fast. (it's basically alliteration on the letter F all the way through the book - have fun with that one :)
Jillian Reed
A delightful story about a fox who says, " a fox is a fox, no matter what they eat". This book uses words that starts with the letter f as well do a teacher can read this to younger children who are learning the alphabet letters.
Jamie Shew
This was a great find at the library sale. A book completely built on all words starting with the letter "f". One of my favorite books to read to the kids, although it is a tongue twister.
Alicia
This is a great book for teaching kids the sound the letter "F" makes, but my goodness it can get difficult to read. It is one big long tongue twister.
Carole
One fox, Fosdyke, doesn't follow his siblings in their search for food. Instead he cooks vegetarian meals for his siblings.
Mary
A fantastically fun read about foxes and food! If you enjoy alliteration this is a fun picture book for kids!
Danica Midlil
What great "F" sounds throughout this whole story! Would make a great read aloud if you could keep your tongue untied!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I don't know how she does it! A story written with as many words starting with the letter "f" as she can. Clever!
Trista
A cute story using alliteration. I read this book to my class to introduce the concept of alliteration.
Lori
Lot's of f words, but not the bad one. lol.
Great for expanding vocabulary!
Margie
This is definately a tongue twister....read it slowly. It is a funny book!

Rachel Feather
Alliteration, vocabulary: food-related words
M
M added it
Sep 12, 2014
Padma Sowrirajan
Padma Sowrirajan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Vitaly
Vitaly added it
Jul 13, 2014
Genevieve Cook
Genevieve Cook marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Ruhi Azam
Ruhi Azam marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Erin Ingold
Erin Ingold marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pamela Duncan Edwards grew up in northern England and moved to the United States several years ago with her husband and two sons. She has lived in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. Her father wrote children’s stories for magazines in England and his love of children’s literature was a huge influence on her. Pamela taught preschool for eleven years in England before becoming a children’s librar...more
More about Pamela Duncan Edwards...
Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale Some Smug Slug Roar!: A Noisy Counting Book Princess Pigtoria And The Pea The Grumpy Morning