Start by marking “The Nixie's Song” as Want to Read:
The Nixie's Song

The Nixie's Song (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  8,907 Ratings  ·  396 Reviews
The Spiderwick Chronicles leave the old-fashioned charm of New England far behind and head south for some fiendish faerie fun in the hot Florida sun. Eleven-year-old Nicholas Vargas only thinks his life has been turned upside down after his developer father remarries and moves his new wife and daughter into the soon-to-be completed Mangrove Hollow.

But an "expedition" to
Published September 8th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

Jessica Cruz
Have you ever wondered if fairies were real? To answer that question yes, I have wondered if fairies were real once I finished reading this book.The genre of my book The Nixies Song is fantasy fiction because the story is about imagination and talks about fairies. My overall opinion is that this was an ok book because it is more about fantasy and I would enjoy the book more if it was more mysterious and more exciting. It was not my favorite. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading abo ...more
Drew Graham
Mar 11, 2011 Drew Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
I read the first five-book series of The Spiderwick Chronicles, and saw the movie when it was released a few years later, but until lately hadn't felt much interest for the follow-up series of three. It seemed like a opportunist spin-off, and it felt like the first one tied itself up pretty nicely. Besides, they didn't REALLY have that much of an effect on me, as books that I found to be, as a friend put it, Lemony Snicket Lite. Then when browsing at the library, I found all three just sitting t ...more
Feb 15, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the continuing adventures that started with The Spiderwick Chronicles, DiTerlizzi and Black do not disappoint with their Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles series. This new adventure involves all new characters (with the Grace children thrown in for support), and the characters are just as interesting, engaging, and dynamic as those in the first series.

What I really love about this book, aside from the gorgeous illustrations and the driving plot, is the fact that the writers have the ability to
Nadia Lotfy
I think that this is not one of those amazing books that you know right at the beginning that it is going to be awesome. This book is about a boy that has been through something sad, his mother died when he was very young. When his father marries another woman with a daughter that believes in fairies and nixes and trolls. The boy doesn't believe in it and he thinks that it is dumb to believe in all those things but then one day a real fairy actually gives him the sight that makes him see fairies ...more
Annmarie Hernandez
I just started the Spiderwick Chronicles and I absolutely love it. I believe this book takes you to another magical world.If you read this book you will feel as if you just got transported with a goblin filled world.I recommend this book to people who like mythical and fantasy books.If you love the series of ''The Land of Stories'', you should read this book.By the time you finish one book you want to go to the next because the series is addicting.So next time you are deciding of another book to ...more
Valeria Ambriz
May 29, 2015 Valeria Ambriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book that I really wanted to read the second book of SPIDERWICK but my teacher said that she baerly order it and that it was going to come that maybe on Friday I liked how Nick got introuble just because he saved a Nixie's life and that he got in trouble because of his step sisters fault they killed the giant and found the sisters of the Nixie.
Nicole Hale
Dec 20, 2012 Nicole Hale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy, review
My Spiderwick-loving heart was delighted to discover that Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi had teamed up again for another small series set in the Spiderwick world. This trilogy begins with a new family, different from the Grace children in character and personality, but similar in messed up family dynamics. The third person narrator focuses on Nicholas's perspective. He and his older brother Jules and his father have dealt with the death of Nick's mom, but now Nick's dad is moving on; in fact, h ...more
Colee
Feb 27, 2017 Colee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun sci-fi series to read with AJ :-)
Alyssa
Jan 13, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started with Nicholas Vargas getting a new step sister who is Laurie Varcas. She is very strange and seems to really believe in faeries. She has many books on them, and loves to hunt them. The family goes along with her "whims" because they think it is cute that she believes in faeries, but don't actually believe in them. Then when Laurie decides to go out and hunt for faeries, Nick is made to go with her so that she won't be alone. Laurie tells him to look out for a four leaf clover t ...more
George
Nov 17, 2013 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the original series, but still fun. I read this to Mike over the course of a few nights and he really enjoyed it. He really liked the references to the previous books and thought it was great when the authors became characters. I thought the language in this was a bit more crass than in the previous series and had a bit more of a negative vibe, but overall the story was pretty good and fun.

***UPDATE***

So I finally finished this trilogy and I have to revise my rating from 4 s
Courtney
Sep 18, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

With how much I loved The Spiderwick Chronicles, it only made sense to dive back into the world of faeries with this companion series! And can I just say that I loved it. (Surprise, Surprise)

I loved that this book started of
 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
Listening to an audio version of any book is always a bit of a risk, as the listener's appreciation of the writing is bound to be affected according to the skill of the narrator. In this case, the narration was pretty average and it's probable that I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read it to myself. However, I still don't feel it was as good as the original Chronicles - less depth to the characters and a much weaker storyline.
Michael
Sep 17, 2014 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If time travel was possible, and if my ten year old self knew that I gave a Spiderwick Chronicles book less then five stars, let alone one. Well, he would travel forward to this particular time just to kick my ass. I just couldn't, I couldn't like this book, even with the fond memories I have from the first book series I ever read. I'm not even sure what this book is, just a spin off to the main series, or one set in a similar reality. I mean, this is some serious Star Trek shit going on here. S ...more
Stephanie
The 3 books in the Beyond Spiderwick series are not going to be recommended here. Poorly written and with less imagination than the original books. The children have bad attitudes and bad language. The young girl in the story is constantly lying to her parents, and the other children are impressed by how well she does it. The parents fight and the impression is given that because they aren't getting along, then they should get a divorce. This very weighty issue is handled irresponsibly by the au ...more
Елена
Sep 04, 2015 Елена rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ник и Лори..Харесвам ги тези двамцата ;33 И двамата различни,но и същевременно си приличат.И пак големи късметлии.Не е честно.Аз съм на 15 и все още не съм имала приключение,а те са на 11 и вече срещнаха никса и Джерард и Саймън! Просто съм адски ядосана!Но книжката ми хареса ;33 Меко казано я обожавам,точно както обожавам и първата поредица на Холи и Тони. Тези писатели ми харесат,меко казано много ;33 (какво дете съм само)
Nilsson
This brings back memories of me and my neighbour in the forest by my old house. I didn't realize the hills were giants back then, I wish I had. Maybe I could have done something about it before I had to leave. Hopefully they're still asleep and won't bother any new people who live there.
Tania Poole
Jul 07, 2016 Tania Poole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first series, this one isn't bad - I really need to buy the Field Guide now - Then I'd have all of them.

I know how Holly Black feels - collecting and loving fairy tales and fairy encounters is a fascinating thing...
Anthony B
Dec 14, 2015 Anthony B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spiderwick is a really good story. It was able to capture my attention, and I couldn't wait to finish the book to find out what cool things were going to happen. Spiderwick has a lot of great details. Spiderwick is a book that I recommend everyone should read.
Galilea Estrada
May 14, 2015 Galilea Estrada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book because even that I know is fake when you are reading the book. It feels that you are living what the characters are living. I would recommend this book to kids like me.
Ingrid
Feb 27, 2012 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love Holly and Toni. I especially love how they make an appearance in the book.
Also, Nick and Laurie are utterly lovable.
Susan
Mar 09, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slmta
A quick read for regular readers, and a fast moving book for any struggling readers.
I enjoyed the writing style and the action.
Mariacervantes
May 28, 2015 Mariacervantes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it is about mysteries and I like mystery books. I recommend it to other people I it's a small be but it is interesting. You should read this book.
zalatawa (darcy-girl-books)

Actual Rating: 2.5

RTC
Julia
Nov 07, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Sehara Munasinghe
Mar 12, 2017 Sehara Munasinghe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 8-9
Recommended to Sehara by: friend
boring
selfie
Hier werden zwei neue Hauptcharaktere vorgestellt: Nick und seine Stiefschwester Laurie, die fest an Elfen glaubt. Mit Hilfe einer Kopie von Arthur Spiderwicks Handbuch für die fantastische Welt um dich herum finden die beiden tatsächliche eine Nixe namens Taloa und bewahren sie vor dem Vertrocknen. Daraufhin verleiht die Nixe Nick und Laurie das zweite Gesicht.

Auf einer ihrer Entdeckungstouren wecken die beiden einen Riesen, der ihnen bis nach Hause folgt und nur vom Lied der Nixe beruhigt wird
Kris Brown
Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Nixie’s Song was written by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. This Fantasy fiction book is intended to be read by seven year-old readers and beyond. So, I will say the higher end of the primary group, intermediate, and advanced age group should read this book. There were no awards issued to the authors for writing this book. I rated this book as a five.

Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: The Nixie’s Song is about Laura and her step brother, Nick’s discovery of
Littlebearries
Mar 20, 2013 Littlebearries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Characters:
Nick Varcas ~ The main character, Nick narrates the story. He's just found himself with a new mother and stepsister (Laurie). Nick is an honest kid with a realistic outlook on his own place in the social pecking order. He's pissed off about having to give up his room for Laurie, and all in all, he's taking the barrage of new sister and new mother pretty well, in my opinion, especially when he's given the task of spending his time getting Laurie acclimated.
Laurie Varcas ~ The new steps
Kirsten
A shorter story, w/ a few throw backs to the original series. I don't trust the nixie as far as I could throw her. (& based on how light she apparently is, that's probably pretty far) ;)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles Movie : The Movie Storybook
  • The Rainbow Wand (Fairy Realm, #10)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Pure Dead Trouble (Pure Dead #4)
  • Beck and the Great Berry Battle (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #3)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more
More about Holly Black...

Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles (3 books)
  • A Giant Problem (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wyrm King (Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)