Start by marking “Herndon's Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Herndon's Lincoln

Herndon's Lincoln

William H. Herndon aspired to write a faithful portrait of his friend and law partner, Abraham Lincoln, based on his own observations and on hundreds of letters and interviews he had compiled for the purpose. Even more importantly, he was determined to present Lincoln as a man, rather than a saint, and to reveal things that the prevailing Victorian conventions said should ...more
Published September 14th 2006 by University of Illinois Press (first published August 21st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Herndon's Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herndon's Lincoln

David Kent
Mar 19, 2014 David Kent rated it it was amazing
This is an extraordinary book, for several reasons. First, William H. Herndon was Abraham Lincoln’s law partner for sixteen years prior to Lincoln becoming President. Second, because Herndon spent several years after Lincoln’s assassination writing to and interviewing scores of people that knew Lincoln during his life and career up to the presidency. Third, because editors Douglas L. Wilson and Rodney O. Davis have done an extraordinary job digging into Herndon and Weik’s original letters and ...more
Georgia Butler
Jun 16, 2016 Georgia Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
Herndon's biography of Lincoln is a personal tribute to his friend and law partner. Herndon creates a living person, someone we learn to know and deeply respect. Though I've read other biographies of our 16th president, I've never known Abraham Lincoln as I do now--as a man above men, a man larger than life and the society within which he lived. Herndon portrays Lincoln both as a legendary and human figure, but I now perceive him as one of greatest leaders in human history.

The author's intimate
Chuck
Nov 28, 2016 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Facts not seen in other Lincoln biographies.
Don
Oct 23, 2013 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Herndon's general tone is suspect. Either he or a ghost writer added some controversy to boost sales. But at heart, the book is has more than its share of personal anecdotes that only Herndon could share. He spent as much time with Abe as anybody except Mary, and his admiration and respect can't be obscured.
Tracie
Sep 25, 2013 Tracie rated it liked it
I alternated between really enjoying this book to feeling bogged down in some of the minute detail....especially that which related to court cases. fun to read some of the behind the scenes scoop on Abe and Mary though. overall I'd say if you are a Lincoln buff it's a must read to help you fill in the gaps.
Susan Jordan
Every Abraham Lincoln admirer should read this. It tells the good and the bad, and he still comes out as a great man. Written by the person closest to him for most of his adult life aside from his wife.
BJ Rose
A very interesting book about Abraham Lincoln written by his law partner. I enjoyed hearing directly from one of Lincoln's contemporaries, and further enjoyed reading the letters written to and by Lincoln.
Matt
Sep 24, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
I can't stop thinkin' about Lincoln.

The old-timey high falutin language and style is alternately hilarious and annoying, but any aspring Lincoln buff should read this sucker.
Patricia
This book took me a long time to get through it. It gave a personal opinion by Herndon, who was Lincoln's friend and law partner, of who the real Lincoln was.
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Missty
Missty rated it liked it
Roger
Roger rated it liked it
Dobiac
Dobiac rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016
Jeff Ayers
Jeff Ayers rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Katherine Stroud
Katherine Stroud rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Bridget Weller
Bridget Weller rated it it was amazing
EML
EML rated it it was amazing
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Michael Swearingen
Michael Swearingen rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Susan Ford
Susan Ford rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Daniel McMillen
Daniel McMillen rated it it was amazing
Joseph Yates
Joseph Yates rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Lance Littlejohn
Lance Littlejohn rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Drew Martin
Drew Martin rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Do Your Reading
Do Your Reading rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
M.J. Sewall
M.J. Sewall rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Rose Harmon
Rose Harmon rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011