Start by marking “War Paint: The 1st Infantry Division's LRP/Ranger Company in Fierce Combat in Vietnam” as Want to Read:

The men who served with in the 1st Infantry Division with F company, 52nd Infantry, (LRP) later redesignated as Company I, 75th Infantry (Ranger) --engaged in some of the fiercest, bloodiest fighting during the Vietnam War, suffering a greater relative aggregate of casualties that any other LRRP/LRP/ Ranger company. Their base was Lai Khe, within hailing distance of the Vi ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about War Paint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Paint

Rick
Jan 25, 2011 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is kind of hard to rate something like this. It is a personal account of one soldier and his Ranger/Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) unit with the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam, based in Lai Khe. I was also in Lai Khe a year earlier so much of it is quite familiar to me. Although I had nowhere the combat experience of this soldier it was quite disheartening to me to hear that the powers to be would often discount the reports of the LRRPs of the locations of enemy soldiers when the L ...more
Ed Burnette
Mar 02, 2015 Ed Burnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought Provoking

While this book clearly speaks of what soldier's life was like during the Vietnam war, and the relationships developed; it was the last chapter titled The Last Team that tied everything together. During our current times, those thoughts and sayings are more true today than ever especially the part were we must teach our children the past and the cost of freedom.
Tyler Barker
I have read multiple accounts of the Special Forces. This one was unique with multiple individual stories from a heros tour in Vietnam. The book shows how overused the Rangers were and misused. It also gives you another account that even the soldiers were frustrated and didn't know why they were fighting. The Army lingo and trade words gets old.
Robert
May 31, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vietnam
I made the mistake of checking out the audiobook version from the library without noting that it was an abridged version. The reader was good but the narrative was much too truncated.
Ron Glover
Ron Glover rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Bertus
Bertus rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Todd Haines
Todd Haines rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
david charbonneau
david charbonneau rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Christine Kuebler
Christine Kuebler rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Stephen Ward
Stephen Ward rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Paul S. Teague
Paul S. Teague rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Chris Bohl
Chris Bohl rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Zach King
Zach King rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Gustave Sague
Gustave Sague rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
T.W. Dittmer
T.W. Dittmer rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Michael Larkin
Michael Larkin rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Philip Michitsch
Philip Michitsch rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Darin Bergquist
Darin Bergquist rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Jens Hojsgaard
Jens Hojsgaard rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015