Start by marking “War Paint: The 1st Infantry Division's LRP/Ranger Company in Fierce Combat in Vietnam” as Want to Read:

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The men who served with in the 1st Infantry Division with F company, 52nd Infantry, (LRP) later redesignated as Company I, 75th Infantry (Ranger) --engaged in some of the fiercest, bloodiest fighting during the Vietnam War, suffering a greater relative aggregate of casualties that any other LRRP/LRP/ Ranger company. Their base was Lai Khe, within hailing distance of the Vi ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about War Paint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Paint

Ed Burnette
Thought Provoking

While this book clearly speaks of what soldier's life was like during the Vietnam war, and the relationships developed; it was the last chapter titled The Last Team that tied everything together. During our current times, those thoughts and sayings are more true today than ever especially the part were we must teach our children the past and the cost of freedom.
Tyler Barker
I have read multiple accounts of the Special Forces. This one was unique with multiple individual stories from a heros tour in Vietnam. The book shows how overused the Rangers were and misused. It also gives you another account that even the soldiers were frustrated and didn't know why they were fighting. The Army lingo and trade words gets old.
It is kind of hard to rate something like this. It is a personal account of one soldier and his Ranger/Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) unit with the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam, based in Lai Khe. I was also in Lai Khe a year earlier so much of it is quite familiar to me. Although I had nowhere the combat experience of this soldier it was quite disheartening to me to hear that the powers to be would often discount the reports of the LRRPs of the locations of enemy soldiers when the L ...more
I made the mistake of checking out the audiobook version from the library without noting that it was an abridged version. The reader was good but the narrative was much too truncated.
Lance M
Lance M marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Preston marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jd_byron marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ramona Honan
Ramona Honan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Wendy Balandran
Wendy Balandran marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Wes Stringfellow
Wes Stringfellow is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2014