Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chambers

Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chambers

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,572 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Filip Müller came to Auschwitz with one of the earliest transports from Slovakia in April 1942 and began working in the gassing installations and crematoria in May. He was still alive when the gassings ceased in November 1944. He saw millions come and disappear; by sheer luck he survived. Müller is neither a historian nor a psychologist; he is a source - one of the few pri...more
Published August 24th 1999 by Ivan R. Dee (first published March 28th 1981)

American Psycho by Bret Easton EllisLord of the Flies by William GoldingA Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer1984 by George OrwellA Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Most Disturbing Book Ever Written
242nd out of 1,281 books — 4,614 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
Well Written Holocaust Books
111th out of 447 books — 1,799 voters

More lists with this book...

Red Haircrow
I've visited Auschwitz. I've walked the stark grounds with a shaking feeling of anger too great to express at the sheer arrogant absurdity of it all. The practical idiotic mindset and machine which the Nazis created to perpetrate such unspeakable crimes, yet rather ordinary people allowed themselves to be manipulated into doing so and rationalized the acts. And then you have Filip, a prisoner, who with chained hands was forced to help turn the cogs for a time.

I've an extensive library of Holoca...more
Anjali
I wouldn't say I enjoyed this book as such - I don't think one is supposed to say they enjoy reading this kind of thing - but this was a very insightful - and graphic - account of what life was like in the death camps of what the Nazi's dubbed 'The Final Solution'.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in reading about the Holocaust. In fact, I think everyone should read this so that this awful stain on human history is never forgotten and more so that this is never allowed to happe...more
Grace
May 20, 2009 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Grace by: Mandy Morrell
I liked this book as much as it is possible to like a book that centers around the mass extermination of an entire race of people. Filip Muller's memoir of his three year imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp recreates the vivid details of the life of a young man forced to assist in the mass murders of thousands of Jews in order to stay alive.

Muller works in the crematorium - picking up the clothes left behind by people who thought they were going to the showers, but were really going to th...more
Lori Anderson
I've mentioned this many times -- I like to read Holocaust and WWII memoirs because they show the beauty of man overcoming the ugly.

Well, this book is indeed about the ugly -- the ugliest I've ever read.

This is an unprecedented memoir of a man who ends up being a prisoner at Aushwitz as a crematorium worker. He managed to smuggle out plans of the crematoria and the camps and seeing them in detail is more than sobering. He also gives detailed, intense commentary on exactly what went on in selecti...more
Cheri
I haven't read this book in at least 10 years, but it has always stuck with me. I've recommended it to numerous people. I don't feel I can say too much here since it's been so long since I've read it, but I want to urge others to experience Filip Muller's story for themselves. It is a real eye opener. Although it will haunt you, I think it's important that the atrocities of the Nazi regime are not forgotten so they are not repeated.
Nat
I was reading this on the train to work, and I had to snap the book shut because I very nearly just started crying at one part. It's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that this actually happened, that people could do this to another human being, that Filip survived and was able to pen this.

(Not so much 'loved it', but star rating relates to importance and relevance.)
Emma Goodwin
My dad and I share a huge interest in the Holocaust and world war two so I've read pretty much every book on it that I've been able to get my hands on.

This without a doubt is the most detailed and hard hitting one I have come across. It was so horrific that I had to stop reading several times because I became so distraught.

A very good read but an extrememly dark one.
Karyl
I can't exactly say I liked this book, but I think it's a very important one. It is a testament to how difficult this book is to read, that it took me twelve days to read it, when it is barely 180 pages with appendices. But it's nearly impossible to take in the horror that Müller had to live through day after day for three years while working in the gas chambers and crematoria of Auschwitz. It is absolutely staggering that while Müller was forced to witness and to participate in the murder and c...more
Rose
If you are going to read one holocaust book it should either be this or Night.

"Suddenly a voice began to sing. Others joined in, and the sound swelled into a mighty choir. They sang firs the Czechoslovak national anthem and then the Hebrew song 'Hatikvah'. And all this time the SS men never stopped their brutal beatings. It was as if they regarded the singing as a last kind of protest which they were determined to stifle if they could To be allowed to die together was the only comfort left to th...more
Bobbie  Crawford-McCoy
Eyewitness Auschwitz,
Three Years in the Gas Chambers

Written By: Filip Muller
Published by Ivan R Dee, Chicago, 1st Ed. By this Publisher, Published in Association with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 1999, paperback, 180 pages.

Eyewitness Auschwitz is an exceptionally graphic, in-depth and carefully recounted description of Filip Muller’s improbable three-year survival in the Gas Chambers of Auschwitz, one of the most infamous Nazi Extermination Camps”BCM

Filip Muller was born in Sere...more
Teri
I read this after visiting Buchenwald concentration camp in Germany. I wanted more real-life accounts of the Holocaust atrocities. I was stuck in the horror with a broken heart of the reality of this part in our world's history.

Three stars because it feels wrong give a higher rating to a story that exists only because of the devastation caused by Hitler's insane evil.

But these kinds of books should be read and digested so that history does not repeat itself. Many of us live a charmed life in sa...more
Leslie
I don't know if you could score this as "loved it" when it is essentially an incredibly detailed, graphic and alarming account of Muller's experience working in the gas chambers and mass graves at Auschwitz over 3 years. It was powerful and, by the time the book is over, there is nothing left to the imagination. I had to read it in small chunks as it is incredibly intense and sometimes had to remind myself that this actually happened.

If you read holocaust literature and are looking for more of...more
Silent0042
Muller really did not wish to write a memoir surrounding his time at Auschwitz, once he left the camp he was prepared to leave that world behind him. I am so very glad that he changed his mind.

This is perhaps the most encompassing of all books written by Auschwitz survivors. Muller managed to survive far longer than most in the horrendous place. The reason for his survival was the knowledge of the secrets of what was really going on in the showers, something he became intimately connected with.

T...more
Dairon Mooren
My school didn't want me to read this but they should have everyone read it I have read many books on the holocaust and I am going to Germany to those camps. However this is the best book to read if you want to learn about Auschwitz along with night. Muller took me into Auschwitz I felt the flames. The depressing facts that he mentioned of watching people get gassed was nerve racking. I was literally at the edge of my chair. Every free time I had I read this book even if I wasn't supposed to be...more
Carrie
Pretty intense narrative of the inner-workings at Auschwitz. Not an easy book to ready by any means, but definitely an important one. The writing iteself has a tendency to jump around, and not a whole lot of attention was paid to grammatical correctness, but the story the author is telling still comes through loud and clear. If you have an interest in Holocaust history, you might consider giving this book a glance.
Nyie
sindiran halus untuk para saksi mata yang jujur maupun yang bohong ini mendalam sekali filosofinya.aku pun sampai heran&kagum.
sepertinya para eye witness mempunyai beban moral tersendiri dalam melihat peristiwa yang disaksikannya.
status"acak&tiba-tiba dalam memilih namun mulia"ini tidak sembarangan orang dapat melaluinya,hanya merekalah yang mempunyai hati nurani kuat yang dapat mengungkapkan kebenaran yang dilihatnya:)
Tee Bivens
Very hard to read...so emotionally draining that I had to break it up into many sessions. Probably the most important book I have ever read - truly showed me the capacity for evil we possess as humans... This book will remain a part of me forever. A must-read for anyone READY for a first-hand accounting of the holocaust...
Tina
Apr 01, 2012 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Tina by: USHMM
A firsthand account from someone who was there and survived to tell his story. It's been a while since I read this but I felt the need to re-read it after watching Mr. Muller in the movie "Shoah." I recommend that everyone read this book, especially if your knowledge of the Holocaust is limited.
Laurie Garcia
This is the absolutely horrifying account of a man who served in the sonderkommando at Auschwitz. He recalls the gassing of thousands of innocent victims, the pits where bodies we burned after the gassing, and the depravity of man. This is a chilling look at man's capacity for evil.
MountainShelby
Astonishing in its brutality, told in a straightforward, non-sensationalist manner. If Goodreads has done nothing else for me, it's brought me to this book. Let's keep this book in print, in circulation, and in the conversation of humanity. An extraordinary achievement.
Sue
.......Story of a survivor of the gas chamber......Gives such disturbing detail.......I have read many Holocaust memoirs, and although feel we all need to remember the Holocaust for it's horror, I don't think that the average person would finish reading this book.
Becka Lloyd
I cried a lot while reading this. I have a hard time studying anything to do with the holocaust simply because it's such a horrible thing. I still can't even bring myself to go to the holocaust museum in DC. But I feel the need to know more about it.
Sara
It took me awhile to read this book. Its graphic and horrifying at times. Ive read several books on the Holocaust, and none have been as graphic (with the gassings-and events leading up to the gassings) as this book. I definatelyrecommend the book.
Steve
Haunting. This book is beyond anything I've read before. This is pretty much an excerpt from the depths of hell, to call it anything less would be a travesty. Above all else, this read gave me affirmation of the human will to live.
Cynthia
Undeniably the best and first account of the experiences of a Sonderkommando in Auschwitz-Birkenau. His eyewitness account of history is extremely important. He was also interviewed in the Shoah tv documentary series.
Karen

I feel kind of numb after reading this book. It's so horrific to know that this went on. I don't know if it's right to say I enjoyed it but it was a very good read, an important one I think.
Samantha Garcia
I love reading about history and in particular books about Auschwitz and the Holocaust. This book is gave me the chills. Its very insightful and doesn't gloss over what happened to these people.
Tammy
This book gives a true account of life working in the gas chambers in Auschwitz. It's morbid, sometimes disturbing but fascinating at the same time.
Ken Hodgson
A difficult book to read. Horror is piled upon horror until in a strange kind of way I became almost immune to it as the writer had too to survive
Leigh Clayton
Words do not do this book justice..... Filip Muller's eyewitness account of the atrocities committed at Auschwitz should never be forgotten.
  • Auschwitz: True Tales from a Grotesque Land
  • Five Chimneys: A Woman's True Story of Auschwitz
  • I Escaped from Auschwitz
  • Children of the Flames: Dr. Josef Mengele and the Untold Story of the Twins of Auschwitz
  • Treblinka Survivor: The Life and Death of Hershl Sperling
  • The Holocaust
  • Auschwitz and After
  • Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust
  • Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
Filip Müller (born 1922, Sered, Czechoslovakia) was one of very few Sonderkommandos to have survived Auschwitz, the largest Nazi German extermination camp. He witnessed the exterminations and gassings of millions of Jews and lived to write one of the key documents of the Holocaust. Published in 1979, Müller's Eyewitness Auschwitz - Three Years in the Gas Chambers was his first-hand account of the...more
More about Filip Muller...