Start by marking “The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them” as Want to Read:

THE 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO EAT AND 100 WAYS TO PREPARE THEM pairs New York Times health columnist Anahad O′Connor with foodie Dave Lieberman to present the 10 foods that should be on your plate, including the scientific research on why they will make you healthier and easy-to-follow recipes to savor them at every meal. Each chapter will be devoted to a new food from the lis ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published December 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 10 Things You Need to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 10 Things You Need to Eat

Michelle Lines
Apr 06, 2013 Michelle Lines rated it really liked it
Five years ago, "The Abs Diet" book transformed my diet. Virtually overnight I turned into a "perimeter" grocery store shopper, only venturing into the middle aisles for things like canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and whole wheat pasta. Gone were the days of Pasta Roni, Lean Pockets, frozen pizzas and microwaveable dinners. It helped that this was right around the time I met my husband, who was clearly not impressed with my culinary skills, but really, my main goal in changing my diet back then w ...more
Rachelle
Nov 04, 2011 Rachelle rated it really liked it
I occasionally like to read books like this to help me get back into my healthy cooking groove. This one definitely kicked my butt with awesome facts about cancer and heart disease rates being so much lower among those who eat following these guidelines. I already know this stuff, really, but to be reminded is good and to be remotivated to make it a priority is even better. I will admit that many of the recipes still seem too far out there... like ingredients that I've never heard of, but I also ...more
Mellanie C
Feb 20, 2017 Mellanie C marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Patty
Mar 16, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it
TheGeekyBlogger
The 10 Things You Need to Eat by Anahad O'Connor: I really enjoyed this book! It was informative, smart, to the point, and witty. It was surprising the way you can put to use some of the foods: avocado's subbed for butter and beets in dessert. There was food that I have never heard of: Quinoa. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that I liked 7 out of the 10 foods. As a picky eater, I was a bit worried. That means it should not be difficult to make them part of my daily diet. The list of staple i ...more
Jun 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Simple to understand book on nutrition and the function of nutrients for our bodies. it lists 10 foods that you should try to incorporate into your diet with simple recipes and good information about the health benefits of these foods that create motivation to eat them. It's a simple, low-pressure book that doesn't advocate a complete diet change but simply to include these nutrient-dense foods into our regular menu.
Bryn
Feb 18, 2010 Bryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, nonfiction
When I heard these guys interviewed on NPR, I knew I had to check this out. It definitely does not disappoint. It was great to read about "superfoods" that one can actually find, afford, and use with some versatility. And the idea of pairing the information about those foods with recipes to try them out is a fantastic one. There were a number of recipes I plan to try, including the Triple Tomato pizza, which is made with whole wheat dough and fresh mozzerella. Yum!
Wendy
Apr 17, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Trying to improve my diet and eat more veggies. This book provides some good principles to incorporate and some excellent recipes. I'm learning to love quinoa! It even made me feel good about cake (a blueberry bundt made with olive oil and topped with blueberry sauce!) Yum Yum everything I've tried has turned out well.
Jen
Aug 18, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
This book seemed a little accusatory to it's audience, "Did you know Americans ______" Except that people who are going to choose to read this book are probably already making healthy choices to some extent. Some of the recipes look good, haven't made any yet though. The informational bits about different foods were very interesting to me.
Buckle Button Zip
Aug 29, 2010 Buckle Button Zip rated it really liked it
The 10 superfoods that we need to eat to stay healthy. Lots of delicious looking recipes for each food. Easy to read -- I blew through it in a few hours. Good enough to add to my bookshelf and cookbook repertoire.
Jo
Sep 26, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
Highly recommended! Great layout, very informative. My favorite tip was for cooking quinoa - going against most recipes and adding way less water (1:1 1/4, not 1:2) making the quinoa fluffy like couscous.
Mckinley
Nov 05, 2010 Mckinley rated it it was ok
On the fence on this one. I loved the list of 10 ingredients one should eat. However, I was under-impressed when I made one of the recipes. Now 1 recipe in not much to base a book on. So I tried a second with the same result. And I will seek out other recipes with these ingredients.
Oct 10, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a new cookbook, this is it! I read it cover-to-cover in practically one sitting. Lots of good nutritional advice, and the recipes included are amazing. I think I folded the corners on at least 50 new dishes that I want to add immediately to my cooking.
Ashley Shear
Sep 23, 2010 Ashley Shear rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It had a great amount of scientific info without overloading me. None of the recipes seem that exciting but will still try some. I loved the information about cooking techniques with the different ingredients, for example, how much water to use with quinoa. Very helpful.
Janice
Jan 23, 2010 Janice marked it as to-read
1/23/10
Linda
Aug 17, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beef and Beet Stew...delicious.
Nicole
Jan 31, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book had such awesome recipes!
Marcia
Mar 31, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
I adore the interplay between these two guys.
Alison
Jun 22, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
A good breakdown of some awesome foods, along with recipes you can make with them. I will definitely be trying some of them, especially the ones with quinoa and lentils!
sara frances
Super interesting and informative. Love that they have their sources cited in the back of the book too!
Tania
Jul 22, 2012 Tania rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
Barb Gilbertson
May 09, 2011 Barb Gilbertson rated it really liked it
This was a great concise list of 10 of the best food groups for a healthy life.
Stacy
Jan 08, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Should be a required read for all. Love how they break down each food and explain in detail all the health benefits.
Nancy
Apr 28, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
I didn't read the beets chapter, because I've never met a beet I liked. Ew. Most of the rest of the recipes looked good. But it needs pictures. Cookbooks need pictures.
Kathy
Mar 24, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Very easy read & very interesting. Lots of great tips & recipes for some very healthy foods!
Kelli  C.
Feb 08, 2010 Kelli C. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100booksin2010
This was an interesting and informative read. I really liked the way the authors set up the book with information about the "10 Things" and included many recipes.
Aimee
Dec 10, 2010 Aimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Loved the informational part of each chapter. Now to get started on incorporating all the items into our diet. Beets will be the hardest, for sure.
Aug 02, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
this book was interesting .. kind of surprising the 10 foods they chose ..
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Real Food Has Curves: How to Get Off Processed Food, Lose Weight, and Love What You Eat
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook: 200 Recipes for Quick, Delicious, and Nourishing Meals That Are Easy on the Budget and a Snap to Prepare
  • Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian
  • The Food Substitutions Bible: More than 6,500 Substitutions for Ingredients, Equipment & Techniques
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life