Start by marking “Modern Essentials: A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils” as Want to Read:

4.73 of 5 stars 4.73  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  38 reviews
This book is truly one of a kind. Modern Essentials: A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils is perfect for anyone looking to know more about the essential oils and how they can be used in everyday life. Whether you are a beginner or a long-time essential oil user, this book is designed for you.

Features of this contemporary guide include the following
Published 2011 by Abundant Health (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Essentials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Essentials

Deonne
I've been using essential oils for the past 10 years and have been on a quest to find a book that would help me understand the various oils out there as well as the recommended uses. This can be a daunting venture for a beginner user of essential oils.

This is one of the best books on essential oils I've ever seen - and I've been looking for a while. The first 20ish pages provide great reflexology diagrams which are both informative and helpful. The next 30ish pages describe single blends of esse
Sandie
Oct 23, 2011 Sandie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sandie by: Deonne
I read this book from cover to cover the first night I got it. I use this with doTERRA oils (it is created with doTERRA in mind although you could use other oils if you know the comparison names) and have found it to handle all of my family's daily owies!! I love feeling empowered to handle most common and uncommon ailments from ear aches, burns, scratches, bug bites, bee stings, Crohns, diabetes, etc. Although this book does not purport to be a replacement for medical advice, I find it helpful ...more
Debbie
I am really fascinated in what Heavenly Father has given us that comes from Nature. I feel motivated to be healthier.
Camille
Aug 04, 2012 Camille marked it as to-read
My eyes are always sensitive to the sunshine, because of my grave's disease. While flipping through this high quality, rather attractive book, I found a section on grave's disease. The first essential oil it recommended was lemon grass. I used it for two days and on the second day, left my glasses in a friend's car on accident. I was going to be doing a lot of driving and walking around a sunny zoo that day. I knew I was in trouble, but to my surprise, no pain! That really is a shock for me. It ...more
Julie
This is my go-to reference guide for the daily use of CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) essential oils. It explains how to use essential oils for every health concern from anxiety and depression, to insomnia and muscle pain, to immune support, or just a plain old headache! Nothing "crystal ball" or weird about it, just pure science and research. LOVE THIS GUIDE!
Christina
May 12, 2011 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christina by: Alicia
Excellent resource for using essential oils. The entire 2nd half of the book is just an index for looking up an ailment and seeing a variety of recommended 'treatments'. My one complaint is that it is very brand-oriented. Some of the recommendations include oil blends and products that are only available through one company rather than telling how to make your own blends.
Lori
I love the comprehensive overview this book gives. It includes the chemical breakdowns, zoning information, practical use, supplemental ideas, a usage guide by ailment, and exhaustive references. Definitely a must have book for anyone interested in a common sense approach to wellness and self sufficiency through the power of essential oils.
Mary
Not this edition
I read the 3rd edition, 2011

Very excellent guide to use with DoTerra essential oils.
Mark Holencik
This is a great reference guide to essential oils. I use this book all the time. Today was reading about Lupus. A friend of mine his wife has lupus and the doctors only give her setroids and they help very little. I am always running into someone that is looking for a natural remedy to an ailment they have. Modern Essentials is my go to book for essential oils.
Emily Rose
A great guide to using essential oils for all sorts of ways. They had a complete description of each oil and oil blend, as well as a index of ailments, injuries, illnesses, etc and which oils to use with them. They also had tips for cooking with essential oils, as well as daily tasks such as laundry, cleaning, showering, etc. Worth every penny!
Lea
My copy is the Third Edition.
Found the information to be more complete than anything I'd been able to find. "The Science of Essential Oils" was very scientific for me. Loved the "Single Oil" section for finding what I can do with the oils I have. Of course the "Personal Usage Guide" will be a much used and refered to section.
Gina Lee
This book covers a multitude of ways to use essential oils for your well being. It was a bit overwhelming at first so it took me several reads to not be. I use it as a reference guide now but I highly suggest reading it several times thru to really know when and how to use the guide and iltimately essential oils
Amanda
What a great book! I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I skipped a few parts that I didn't need to read about now but I have studied the rest. Nature has provided medicinal help throughout the ages. We should not ignore these natural remedies just because modern medicine is such a blessing..
Elizabeth
Jan 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Shiloah Baker
Shelves: reference
Though I did not read this book word for word, I read enough of it and studied enough of it to know it is a book I will always keep handy.

It is an excellent reference book on essential oils and how to use them for your health.

Thanks for recommending this to me, Shiloah!
Erika Tenney doterra
I love this book! It is perfect for a beginner or advanced user of essential oils! I love the science references and I love the color coated protocols. I have all four versions, it keeps getting better and better!

www.doterraforyourlife.com
www.mydoterra.com/Erika
Sara
I am totally addicted to essential oils and this book is my essential oil bible. It is informative, thorough and complete with citations to studies as well as an index. A must for anyone who uses essential oils.
Holli
We've been using Doterra Oils for awhile now and love them. I refer to this book often and highly recommend it. I can also get it at a great price if anyone would like a copy! Just let me know!:)
Morgan
The information in this book is invaluable but it would be nice if it instructed on how to use the oils (how much, how often) rather than just suggesting which oils would be useful.
Tia
I absolutely love this book, it is the greatest reference and guide for essential oil use. So glad to have this in my natural health collection!
Deena Jordan
very important book for anyone interested in learning about essential oils. I highly recommend doTerra essential oils
Danie
This is such a great reference and guide for those who are interested in using essential oils in there every day life!
Mernette
Awesome guide for using essential oils. The book contains almost every ailment you can think of.
Heidi
This is a fantastic resource. Love it! This is a reference guide that I will keep on hand.
Elaine
Excellent resource! Anyone who is into essential oils should have this book on hand!
Karen
This is a comprehensive, easy to use, resource for people using doTERRA essential oils.
Tiffany
Fantastic resource for the use of essential oils! Couldn't live without this one :)
Leah
I love this book. I refer to it constantly and refer to it as my oil bible.
Ambra
Really interesting and a great go-to reference for using essential oils.
Katy Anderson
Pretty much the Bible of essential oil information.
Kellie
Use often as a reference. Must for doTERRA oil users.
  • The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health - Beauty - a Safe Home Environment
  • Making the First Circle Work: The Foundation for Duplication in Network Marketing
  • Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living
  • Real Food Has Curves: How to Get Off Processed Food, Lose Weight, and Love What You Eat
  • The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils
  • The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners That Shape Who We Are Today
  • How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 House Plants that Purify Your Home or Office
  • Essential Oils Desk Reference
  • Secrets of a Former Fat Girl: How to Lose Two, Four (or More!) Dress Sizes--And Find Yourself Along the Way
  • Essential Oils Handbook: All the Oils You Will Ever Need for Health, Vitality and Well-being
  • Trim Healthy Mama -- No More Fads!
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being.
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Healing Anxiety and Depression
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • How To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week - The Ultimate 7 Day Weight Loss Kick Start
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve
Modern Essentials, A Contemporary Guide To The Therapeutic Use Of Essential Oils Esenciales modernos: Una guía contemporánea para el uso terapéutico de los aceites esenciales (Modern Essentials)