Start by marking “The Good That Men Do” as Want to Read:
The Good That Men Do

The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Pax Galactica. Enemies become allies. Old secrets are at last revealed. Long-held beliefs and widely accepted truths are challenged. Man turns to leisurely pursuits.

In this golden age, two old friends are drawn together. They seek to understand, and wonder how what they have long believed, what they have been taught, was never so.

Over two hundred years ago, the life of one
Published February 27th 2007 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Good That Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good That Men Do

Matthew Rasnake
Feb 28, 2009 Matthew Rasnake rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: disgruntled Enterprise fans, Trek fans, english language masochists
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I have to admit it... I liked Enterprise. The premise had promise, and the characters, when well-written, were engaging and enjoyable. Whole volumes could be written about just how much, and why, the show sucked so bad, and exactly who was responsible (Berman, Braga, I'm lookin' at you). When in the fourth season they brought on a new Exec and head writer, it really started to fulfill its potential. Then, of course, it was canceled and they ended with one of the single worst, most offensive and ...more
Christian
Sep 28, 2007 Christian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise Fans who hated the Finale; Star Trek Completists
Does a good job of reworking (while mocking) the abominable Berman/Braga finale to Enterprise. But as with many Star Trek books, the story itself isn't really compelling, with the typical lack of tension (gee, I wonder if the away team couldn't transport out because the Enterprise had been destroyed) and one gets the sense that the 'Star Trek' on the cover is the only reason it was published.

That said, pick this up if your eyes bled during the series finale, as it'll make you feel a lot better.
Mark Horner
I am a Trekker through & through so I really enjoyed this story & its sequels. I really wish the actual series had taken this route
Adam Walker
As a million others have said already, this book does extreme justice to the travesty of the last episode of Enterprise. Trip Tucker in fact, does NOT die and instead becomes a secret agent of sorts meant to throw a monkey wrench into the impending war with the Romulans.

All the favorite characters from the show are back, Including Shran! overall the book does a good job of laying the foundation for whats to come. the looming Romulan war, the founding of the Federation and Trips (hopefull) return
Camille
"[Thank you to] the legions of Trip fans out there who were happy to see us reinterpret canon, spit in the grim reaper's eye, and seek out and exploit every available loophole on Trip's behalf." - Acknowledgements

Note that while this review may seem spoiler-y, it doesn't contain anything you won't find in season 4 of Enterprise, the first few chapters of the book, or the publisher's summary.

Ah, The Good that Men Do. To say that I simply enjoyed this novel would be a gross understatement; I adore
Daniel
"The Good That Men Do" is the first post-Enterprise book, sort of. Most people familiar with the Star Trek canon know that Earth and Romulus had a war around this time, most also know that the founding members of the Federation are Terrans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites. What this book tries to do is tie the founding in with the war at the end of Enterprise.

To understand where this book is coming from, you need to watch the series finale of Enterprise. If you somewhat liked Enterprise, you
Heidi
Mar 01, 2012 Heidi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Enterprise and Tucker fans only

As a huge fan of Enterprise, I felt insulted by the last episode that didn't only kill off my favourite character in a way that nearly made me cry; it also focused on two characters from another Star Trek series, Riker and Troi from TNG, assuming everyone knows them. That's just disrespectful to both the fans of Enterprise as well as the characters and their respective actors.

Guess what? The authors of The Good That Men Do did exactly the same thing with Jake Sisko and Nog from DS9, for
Stephanie Jewett
Okay, I need to state up front that I am not a nerd. I don't say this to disparage nerds in any way; rather, I don't know enough of the nerd cannon to ever be able to hold my own, and real nerds would laugh me right out of the nerd... room. (Holodeck!! It's probably a holodeck). Anyway, I believe I may have upped my nerd cred a fraction by reading a Star Trek novel.
I watched Enterprise. It's the only Star Trek series that I have actually watched all the way through while it was airing (although
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I love Star Trek. I grew up watching the Original Series and have watched all the other incarnations of the show. Star Trek Enterprise is my favorite and Commander Trip Tucker is one of my favorite Star Trek characters. The Enterprise series finale These are the Voyages was a travesty as far as Trip's story was concerned. I didn't necessarily mind the inclusion of Riker and Troi and the holodeck recreation, but I refuse to the end of Trip's story as Star Trek canon.

When I discovered a book that
Stephanie
Yes, yes, yes!

I've read some really awesome reviews of this book so I will keep mine short and on point. I'd only just watched the end of this series and went back to the beginning and online to find answers. This book gives me some of the biggest I'd been missing. I'm not going to argue the canon/non-Canon issue, I'm just going to say that I like how these writers have given Enterprise the story it deserves and I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Ek
Trip lives! It's not the best written book in the world, but it's entertaining, and for anyone who was unhappy with Trip's death in the finale of Enterprise, you should definitely read this book.
Troy Rodgers
The Good That Men Do While most sci-fi fans are lamenting the premature cancellation of Firefly, I'm still holding a torch for Star Trek: Enterprise. Say what you will about prequels; I find history fascinating, be it real, or the fictional history of afavorite story. In my mind, the crew of the NX-01 got short-changed. Books like this continue the mission.Enterprise ended with an episode that fast-forwarded 10 years to the birth of the Federation in a rushed attempt to provide closure, leaving ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'd never read a Star Trek novel before this (that is, if you don't count the Star Trek Online book) and I'm glad I chose this one for my first taste. I quite liked Enterprise, even though by the time I actually got to watching the series it had already been canceled for several years. That might have affected the way I viewed the events in the series finale, in the cool manner with which one accepts anything that happens on a doomed show.

However, I knew a lot of other people were upset with th
David King
The main reason I couldn't wait to get reading this book was that the plot was centred on re-writing the travesty that was the Enterprise series finale and undoing the death of Commander Tucker. I don't normally support such blatant circumvention of established canon but I was more than happy to see Mangels and Martin try to undo the mess I had seen on television.

The novel is based around the premise that Commander Tucker has been growing increasingly worried about the threat posed by the Romula
Srinivas
Jun 11, 2012 Srinivas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise fans, Trip fans, Enterprise fans who absolutely hated the last episode
Shelves: star-trek
Finally...we have a good explanation about what "really" happened with Commander Tucker.

The way his character was just killed off in the final episodes of the Enterprise would have left much more than a few fans (like me) fuming. I mean..seriously...a simple pirate ship invading NX01 at a whim and killing off Trip...that just had to be one of the most absurd stories ever. Needless to say that it made the security and preparedness of one of our most loved crews look laughable. Am so relieved to k
JParsons1974 Parsons
This book is the 1st of 4 books that reveal how Enterprise the TV series should have ended. The other books in the series ae Star Trek Enterprise (STE) Kobayashi Maru, STE The Romulan War Beneath the Rapots Wing, and STE The Roomulan War To Brave the Storm. These books tell the story Captian Archer's crew from the end of Xindi War to the beginning of the Federation of Planets. The writer does not cheat his readers with time travel or magic aliens but tells a great tale.

The Good that men do focu
Eric
I really enjoyed this book.

This is truly the first book in the continuing story of Star Trek: Enterprise with Jonathan Archer and his crew.

Most people agree the last episode of Enterprise; "These Are The Voyages ..." was terrible. What made this book so enjoyable was how the authors used the same kind of framing of the story as the TV finale but tweaked it to give us a more satisfying story and jumping off point for the next "season."

The entire book is really a reworking of the finale; setting
Brian
For every "Star Trek: Enterprise" fan who was dissatisfied with the very weak series finale, this makes up for it completely! Excellent story, nice continuity, and emotionally fulfilling.
Alli
I liked this book a lot more than I have liked previous Star Trek: Enterprise books, in part because it is a CANON fix to the god-awful wreck that was "These Are the Voyages..." I'm one of those Enterprise fans who considers "Terra Prime" to be the series finale, because the actual one was such a complete waste of space, waste of characters, and a poorly done attempt to tie ST:E together with ST:TNG, which it had spent too many episodes already doing in the final season.
James Aled Jones
I have to admit that although I am a big Star Trek fan I've never felt drawn to reading one of the books. That was until the disappointing ending of Enterprise. Without *spoilers* the ending leaves a lot to be desired. This book takes a few steps towards repairing dryer damage and explaining some of the discrepancies of the series. An entertaining mix of space opera and galactic espionage. Well worth a read if that is your thing.
Angela
Nog finds some declassified information about the original Enterprise. History has not recorded the real story. If you read only one Enterprise book, then read this one. It completely changes the last episode in a plausible way. This is the way Enterprise should have ended, and thanks to the holodeck aspect of the episode, it means this can be the real story. Trip features heavily and so does Shran. A really good read.
David A
Trip didn't die in the finale of "Star Trek: Enterprise"! This story tells what really happened, and sets the stage for the Earth-Romulan War as Section 31 recruits trip to investigate mysterious attacks on the Coalition of Planets. Important info on Captain Archer and the Trip-T'Pol relationship. I enjoyed the book, and it made me ready to read the upcoming "Kobyashi Maru" novel.
Julia
In the last episode of "Enterprise" Trip died a meaningless death. This novel quite successfully sets it right: he staged his death, telling only the captain, Reed and Pholx so he could join Section 31 to fight the unseen, at this point, Romulans. In this book Section 31 comes off much better than in other books.
Gwen
Jan 19, 2008 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trip fans
Shelves: sci-fi, startrek
Way better way of explaining of what happened to Trip than what the show Enterprise did. As always well written by Mangles and Martin who seemed to grasp the best loved characters from the series well.
David
EXCELLENT BOOK!!!! Great continuation of the Enterprise series; wish they'd do a mini-sereies
Luca Mauri
This book is the first serious and official tentative to fix the appalling (quoted) end of the Enterprise television run.
The authors developed what probably is the only method of correcting the episode without using time travel, or parallel universe or any other nonscientific trick.

The effort in notable: the whole issue of distorted official historic record, the double face of Section 31 and the "spy-story meet sci-fi" are all good ideas.
Unfortunately the book does nopt really exploit all of the

Marissa
Aug 03, 2007 Marissa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trip fans who hated the season finale of Enterprise
Trip lives! Vindication for the horrible, terrible season finale of Enterprise.
Jillian
Gods, do I just appreciate having a real trajectory for this series post-cancellation.
Gottagetcoffee
YAY Trip's not dead. A fix to the TATV.
Tara van Beurden
My brother lent me this book thinking I might enjoy it. It’s a retelling of sorts of the final episode of the Star Trek series Enterprise. Many a fan of the show was pretty upset and disgusted with the Frakes directed finale that killed off the awesome character of Trip. I loved Trip – he was pretty much my favourite character in Enterprise and I was devastated when they killed him off. So I was really looking forward to this book. I shouldn’t have bothered. This book was just so damn boring. I ...more
  • Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12)
  • Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • A Choice of Futures (Rise Of the Federation, #1) (Star Trek: Enterprise, #15)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
Andy Mangels is an American science fiction author who has written novels, comics, and magazine articles, and produced DVD collections, mostly focusing on media in popular culture. As an openly-gay man, he has been a longtime advocate for greater visibility of gay and lesbian characters in various media, especially comics, including the coordination and moderation of the annual "Gays in Comics" pa ...more
More about Andy Mangels...

Star Trek: Enterprise (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Daedalus (Star Trek: Enterprise #7)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2) Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2) Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2) Turnabout (Roswell #8)