Start by marking “The Good That Men Do” as Want to Read:
The Good That Men Do

The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Pax Galactica. Enemies become allies. Old secrets are at last revealed. Long-held beliefs and widely accepted truths are challenged. Man turns to leisurely pursuits.

In this golden age, two old friends are drawn together. They seek to understand, and wonder how what they have long believed, what they have been taught, was never so.

Over two hundred years ago, the life of one
Published February 27th 2007 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about The Good That Men Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good That Men Do

Matthew Rasnake
Feb 28, 2009 Matthew Rasnake rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: disgruntled Enterprise fans, Trek fans, english language masochists
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I have to admit it... I liked Enterprise. The premise had promise, and the characters, when well-written, were engaging and enjoyable. Whole volumes could be written about just how much, and why, the show sucked so bad, and exactly who was responsible (Berman, Braga, I'm lookin' at you). When in the fourth season they brought on a new Exec and head writer, it really started to fulfill its potential. Then, of course, it was canceled and they ended with one of the single worst, most offensive and ...more
Heidi
Mar 01, 2012 Heidi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Enterprise and Tucker fans only

As a huge fan of Enterprise, I felt insulted by the last episode that didn't only kill off my favourite character in a way that nearly made me cry; it also focused on two characters from another Star Trek series, Riker and Troi from TNG, assuming everyone knows them. That's just disrespectful to both the fans of Enterprise as well as the characters and their respective actors.

Guess what? The authors of The Good That Men Do did exactly the same thing with Jake Sisko and Nog from DS9, for
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I love Star Trek. I grew up watching the Original Series and have watched all the other incarnations of the show. Star Trek Enterprise is my favorite and Commander Trip Tucker is one of my favorite Star Trek characters. The Enterprise series finale These are the Voyages was a travesty as far as Trip's story was concerned. I didn't necessarily mind the inclusion of Riker and Troi and the holodeck recreation, but I refuse to the end of Trip's story as Star Trek canon.

When I discovered a book that
Daniel
"The Good That Men Do" is the first post-Enterprise book, sort of. Most people familiar with the Star Trek canon know that Earth and Romulus had a war around this time, most also know that the founding members of the Federation are Terrans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites. What this book tries to do is tie the founding in with the war at the end of Enterprise.

To understand where this book is coming from, you need to watch the series finale of Enterprise. If you somewhat liked Enterprise, you
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'd never read a Star Trek novel before this (that is, if you don't count the Star Trek Online book) and I'm glad I chose this one for my first taste. I quite liked Enterprise, even though by the time I actually got to watching the series it had already been canceled for several years. That might have affected the way I viewed the events in the series finale, in the cool manner with which one accepts anything that happens on a doomed show.

However, I knew a lot of other people were upset with th
Stephanie Jewett
Okay, I need to state up front that I am not a nerd. I don't say this to disparage nerds in any way; rather, I don't know enough of the nerd cannon to ever be able to hold my own, and real nerds would laugh me right out of the nerd... room. (Holodeck!! It's probably a holodeck). Anyway, I believe I may have upped my nerd cred a fraction by reading a Star Trek novel.
I watched Enterprise. It's the only Star Trek series that I have actually watched all the way through while it was airing (although
Christian
Sep 28, 2007 Christian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise Fans who hated the Finale; Star Trek Completists
Does a good job of reworking (while mocking) the abominable Berman/Braga finale to Enterprise. But as with many Star Trek books, the story itself isn't really compelling, with the typical lack of tension (gee, I wonder if the away team couldn't transport out because the Enterprise had been destroyed) and one gets the sense that the 'Star Trek' on the cover is the only reason it was published.

That said, pick this up if your eyes bled during the series finale, as it'll make you feel a lot better.
Eric
I really enjoyed this book.

This is truly the first book in the continuing story of Star Trek: Enterprise with Jonathan Archer and his crew.

Most people agree the last episode of Enterprise; "These Are The Voyages ..." was terrible. What made this book so enjoyable was how the authors used the same kind of framing of the story as the TV finale but tweaked it to give us a more satisfying story and jumping off point for the next "season."

The entire book is really a reworking of the finale; setting
Mark Horner
I am a Trekker through & through so I really enjoyed this story & its sequels. I really wish the actual series had taken this route
Luca Mauri
This book is the first serious and official tentative to fix the appalling (quoted) end of the Enterprise television run.
The authors developed what probably is the only method of correcting the episode without using time travel, or parallel universe or any other nonscientific trick.

The effort in notable: the whole issue of distorted official historic record, the double face of Section 31 and the "spy-story meet sci-fi" are all good ideas.
Unfortunately the book does nopt really exploit all of the

Tara van Beurden
My brother lent me this book thinking I might enjoy it. It’s a retelling of sorts of the final episode of the Star Trek series Enterprise. Many a fan of the show was pretty upset and disgusted with the Frakes directed finale that killed off the awesome character of Trip. I loved Trip – he was pretty much my favourite character in Enterprise and I was devastated when they killed him off. So I was really looking forward to this book. I shouldn’t have bothered. This book was just so damn boring. I ...more
J. Else
Tony Laplume
The last Star Trek book I read, The Never-Ending Sacrifice, finds another polar opposite in The Good That Men Do.

Now, before I go much further, I've had a contentious relationship with this book since it was released. As one of Enterprise's biggest fans, and one of the few to actually enjoy the series finale, "These Are the Voyages...," it was a slap in the face to discover that Pocket Books and its entire pocket universe had decided that it would officially join the voice of dissent and write a
David King
The main reason I couldn't wait to get reading this book was that the plot was centred on re-writing the travesty that was the Enterprise series finale and undoing the death of Commander Tucker. I don't normally support such blatant circumvention of established canon but I was more than happy to see Mangels and Martin try to undo the mess I had seen on television.

The novel is based around the premise that Commander Tucker has been growing increasingly worried about the threat posed by the Romula
Robert Sparrenberger
I missed the first book in the series and started with this one. I always enjoyed Enterprise and thought this was a worthy look into the Romulan war.

However, I thought the Jake Sisko look back in time to be a bit much. All of this history just somehow was forgotten or buried and these two guys are watching it for the first time over popcorn and drinks? A bit cheesy.

Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Angela
Nog finds some declassified information about the original Enterprise. History has not recorded the real story. If you read only one Enterprise book, then read this one. It completely changes the last episode in a plausible way. This is the way Enterprise should have ended, and thanks to the holodeck aspect of the episode, it means this can be the real story. Trip features heavily and so does Shran. A really good read.
Srinivas
Jun 11, 2012 Srinivas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise fans, Trip fans, Enterprise fans who absolutely hated the last episode
Shelves: star-trek
Finally...we have a good explanation about what "really" happened with Commander Tucker.

The way his character was just killed off in the final episodes of the Enterprise would have left much more than a few fans (like me) fuming. I mean..seriously...a simple pirate ship invading NX01 at a whim and killing off Trip...that just had to be one of the most absurd stories ever. Needless to say that it made the security and preparedness of one of our most loved crews look laughable. Am so relieved to k
JParsons1974 Parsons
This book is the 1st of 4 books that reveal how Enterprise the TV series should have ended. The other books in the series ae Star Trek Enterprise (STE) Kobayashi Maru, STE The Romulan War Beneath the Rapots Wing, and STE The Roomulan War To Brave the Storm. These books tell the story Captian Archer's crew from the end of Xindi War to the beginning of the Federation of Planets. The writer does not cheat his readers with time travel or magic aliens but tells a great tale.

The Good that men do focu
Christopher Backa
This is the first novel of enterprise I have read and I enjoyed the story. I don't think the DS9 framing for the story was really needed it was just used as the excuse to undo and explain away the damage done to the series and characters in the series finale, since the book retcons a lot of little things. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Christopher
A fast paced and interesting retelling of the events from the series finale of Enterprise that frame them much better than the show ever could have dreamed. It's not the strongest story ever told - not lifechanging, at the very least like some of the relaunch Trek novels have been (Destiny, Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels, etc.) - but a strong, well-written story that is imbued very obviously with the love Martin and Mangels have for Enterprise and her characters. If you're doing a re-watch of En ...more
Don Dettmer
Great evolution of all characters involved

Fills in the time line perfectly. Looking forward to his next mission. More history of how the Romulons evolved would be interesting .
Triopticon
Sep 06, 2014 Triopticon rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Horrible. Completely unoriginal. You really have to wonder how they pitched the story and how in the world the publisher accepted it. I mean they basically repeat the Romulan drone ship story, mix in the horrible "let's watch a holovid" angle from the final episode and fill in the pages with drivel.

I think this is the final Star Trek book that these writers work on. At least I hope it is. If not, their agents must be miracle workers.

Novels like this and their Titan novels can really kill a franc
Phil Norfleet
Once the "new Enterprise" smell wore off of this book, I realized that it is riddled with plot holes and continuity bugs that make no sense. Sure, it was admirable that they wanted to undo the horrible series finale of this series, but the way they did it? Yeah ... it makes no sense. The underlying conceit in this story - that Tucker's death was faked - is a good one, but the why is where the plot falters. In all honesty, I can't recommend this book to anyone but people who want an official undo ...more
David Agranoff
There is a lot to like about this trek novel. The authors do a great job with the characters and the pace of the story. My only problem ( and it is major) is I couldn't buy into the main plot line. I can't buy the idea that Trip could be dropped into Romulan society as a spy and last one minute. At the time Starfleet knew nothing of their language, culture or even what they looked like. As well written as it was it stretched my suspnsion of disbelief a bit past my limit.

Still, I finished the nov
Alli
I liked this book a lot more than I have liked previous Star Trek: Enterprise books, in part because it is a CANON fix to the god-awful wreck that was "These Are the Voyages..." I'm one of those Enterprise fans who considers "Terra Prime" to be the series finale, because the actual one was such a complete waste of space, waste of characters, and a poorly done attempt to tie ST:E together with ST:TNG, which it had spent too many episodes already doing in the final season.
Marci
If you're a Trip fan, a good book. It also fixes a great deal of the awful finale for a fun series. It almost seems that this was the story arc for a possible fifth season had it survived the axe. It certainly made the finale make better sense and it's a must read if the way it was left bothered you.
Brian
I enjoyed Enterprise and was really happy with the way the show was going in the fourth season. I was disappointed when the show was cancelled, and especially disappointed in the pointlessness of how Trip was handled. I've just recently started reading Star Trek novels and especially enjoyed this one. The dialog and characters were very consistent with the show, and it was really nice to get a better sense of closure than I did from the final episode.
James Aled Jones
I have to admit that although I am a big Star Trek fan I've never felt drawn to reading one of the books. That was until the disappointing ending of Enterprise. Without *spoilers* the ending leaves a lot to be desired. This book takes a few steps towards repairing dryer damage and explaining some of the discrepancies of the series. An entertaining mix of space opera and galactic espionage. Well worth a read if that is your thing.
Megan
I've never read a Star Trek book before, and I was pleasantly surprised. The authors kept up the same character profiles as introduced in the television show, and the undercover spy-plot, while not thrilling, kept my attention. Although it was set in the Star Trek universe, the plot didn't focus on future science or technology so much as interplanetary politics and intrigue. A good beach or lazy Sunday read for Star Trek fans.
Taylor
This is basically a retailing of the final episode of Enterprise with more Romulans and Trip becoming a spy instead of dying.

Not to be confused with a direct book version of the script. This has a lot more info and is an alternative story that has recently been declassified and read by Nog and Jake from DS9.

A good read. I half expected Riker and Troi to appear in the book, like the show, but was glad when they did not.
  • Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)
Andy Mangels is an American science fiction author who has written novels, comics, and magazine articles, and produced DVD collections, mostly focusing on media in popular culture. As an openly-gay man, he has been a longtime advocate for greater visibility of gay and lesbian characters in various media, especially comics, including the coordination and moderation of the annual "Gays in Comics" pa ...more
More about Andy Mangels...
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2) Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2) Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2) Turnabout (Roswell #8)