Start by marking “Running - Getting Started” as Want to Read:
Running - Getting Started

Running - Getting Started

Running - Getting started will take anyone, at any level of fitness, into the running lifestyle. Jeff Galloway, a US Olympian in 1972, has helped over 150,000 people into running while reducing or eliminating aches, pains, and injuries suffered during most training programs. Jeff offers a step-by-step program that is easy to use and easy to understand. Included will be lot ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Meyer & Meyer Sport (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Running - Getting Started, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running - Getting Started

Sep 22, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
The actual plan for running in this book using Jeff Galloway's run / walk method seems pretty good and so far it is working for me. However, I did not like the chapters on stretching and nutrition and most of the rest of the book is pretty repetitive. Galloway recommends that you do not stretch at all and really argues against doing yoga and pilates, which he says can cause injury. His section on nutrition is full of misinformation, and as someone studying to be a registered dietitian this reall ...more
Jan 14, 2016 Renee rated it liked it
I love Jeff Galloway's approach to running. It's perfect for older folk - like me! He gives one permission to walk. Heck, he advocates walking while running! His method assures that one will still be able to run at an advanced age. HOWEVER, there were several things about this book that caused me concern. He is anti-stretching. Huh? He feels that strength training has little benefit for runners. Hmmm. And I question his nutrition advice (high carb, low fat anyone?). Maybe this book is a little d ...more
Ashok Krishna
Apr 30, 2016 Ashok Krishna rated it liked it
This book didn't live up to my hope and the hype that surrounds it. May be good for beginners, but nothing much here for those who are into running already. A bit repetitive, not much backed by sports science. It is, as Jeff often mentions, a bunch of suggestions and advice 'from one runner to another'. Could have been better.
Michelle Grant
Oct 10, 2016 Michelle Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative

Lots of good advice. There is a lot of repetition going from book to book and yet with each new book of his I glean a nugget or two of useful information. Makes me want to read them all.
Sep 06, 2016 D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks brand new to running
jeff galloway is a beloved, trusted, accomplished runner and teacher of runners. anything he has to add to the subject is to be regarded with attention.

this book was a rehash of much of the same material i've found in other books by him. however, this version specifically targets the running neophyte and is perhaps not the galloway title best suited to the more seasoned runner. in a straight-forward, no-frills manner, galloway covers the basic basics of running and lays out his philosphy of the
Apr 22, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Verrrrrrrrrrry good!!! I started out as a "not" runner. At all. I'm tall and athletic looking, so they say, but running just wasn't my forte. But after this book, I can go out there and run three miles no problem.

This book isn't the answer to everyone's running problems. And even then, I stopped using the method about two months ago, and now I run on my own schedule and timing. So it's a great way to get started running and introduced to the exercise, but I wouldn't stay on this plan forever.

Jul 07, 2012 Dianne rated it liked it
The Galloway method is drastically improving my progress and attitude toward running. I am a huge fan.

Galloway's books, however, have much of the same information and are rather repetitive. I also would have liked to see more citations to peer-reviewed research to back up some of the claims. It's a rather conservative approach, however, so there's probably little harm to following this advice.

This is good book to read for beginners. It takes about an hour or so to read and outlines the plan ver
Apr 10, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Jeff Galloway has a plan that is similar to couch to 5K and it works. Simple to read, easy to follow for beginners. Not for those who are seasoned runners, who know what they are doing as this will be too simplistic. Lots of good information about trainers, clothing and the best way to find runs and races. Worth a read if you are a budding runner, save your money if you are already on your way.
Sep 13, 2009 Jackie rated it it was ok
While this book started out to be very inspiring and helpful, it really didn't keep my attention after about page 30. It seemed very repetitious and at times, very simplistic. I was also a bit concerned that some of the information and advice did not follow what I had heard before from reputable sources. This is not to say the program can't work, but it is a different take on running than I have been used to.
Parts of the book were very repetitive,and the nutrition stuff didn't really match with most of what I've read on that subject, but I'm going to try the schedule and method of running for increasing my endurance.
Jun 30, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
It's an informative book for those who are thinking about running or are new to running. I did find the book to be a bit too repetitive.
Hsien Lei
May 09, 2010 Hsien Lei rated it it was amazing
I loved the low pressure tone of the book. Take it easy. Your body is built for walking and running. No matter how slow you have to run, you can do it!
This guy convinced me that if I go slow and careful I can condition my body, including my weak knees, to running. Some of his information is confusing but I found most of it really helpful.
Brailynne Corr
Apr 16, 2013 Brailynne Corr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
This is a great guide for beginners, but I disagree with some parts--namely Galloway's disregard/disapproval of stretching.
Apr 19, 2013 Lynn added it
Given to me by a dear friend - was the motivation to get started running! Wish I had followed his advice about a FEW things ....
Some good advice, some not so good advice. He seems convinced that you should never, ever stretch your muscles or it will cause injury. Really? Meh.
Regina Hunter
Jul 02, 2014 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got the advice I needed about starting and am happy about it. It is very logical, and most of the things that people already know, but at times silly heads needed to be reminded.
Heidi Patten
Heidi Patten rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2016
Chris Abraham
Chris Abraham rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Jennifer Veach
Jennifer Veach rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2014
Bob rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Heather rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Adam Huestis
Adam Huestis rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Melissa rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Jill Kandel
Jill Kandel rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2011
J. M. Quattlebaum
J. M. Quattlebaum rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
Scott rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Reblynnyoung rated it it was ok
May 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Running: Everything You Need to Run for Fun, Fitness and Competition
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
  • Forever Chic: Frenchwomen's Secrets for Timeless Beauty, Style, and Substance
  • The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • Running and Walking for Women Over 40: The Road to Sanity and Vanity
  • Runner's World The Runner's Brain: How to Think Smarter to Run Better
  • Women Who Run
  • The Whartons' Stretch Book
  • Yoga for Runners
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Running: Maximize Performance & Minimize Injuries: A Chiropractor's Guide to Minimizing the Potential for Running Injuries
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners: 101 Inspirational Stories of Energy, Endurance, and Endorphins
  • Until Death Do Us Part: My Struggle to Reclaim Colombia
  • Daughters of Distance
  • The Essential Sheehan: A Lifetime of Running Wisdom from the Legendary Dr. George Sheehan
  • The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program