Start by marking “The Glory of Christ” as Want to Read:
The Glory of Christ

The Glory of Christ (Works of John Owen #1)

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  42 reviews
John Owen was educated at Oxford, where he was awarded a master's degree at the age of nineteen. While pastoring a church in Essex, he preached before the English parliament. This led to Oliver Cromwell appointing him dean of Christ Church Cathedral and vice-chancellor of Oxford University. Owen later declined the presidency of Harvard College and concentrated instead on h ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Eremitical Press (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Glory of Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glory of Christ

Bernard Hull
I read this twice the second time immediately following the first. I have only found myself drawn to do this on three other occasions and the subject matter of each of those books was the wonderful Person and work of Christ. This book was written when Owen was near the end of his life and it is full of the greatness and beauty of Jesus.
Matthew Grotheer
This book has significantly changed how I read the Bible and, to be quite honest, how I experience God. I don't think this work was the sole cause of it but I think the theology contained within made significant changes in me. The Lord used the writings of this dead man from the 16th century to give me a vision of reading the Scriptures with 2 things in mind: everything is about knowing and enjoying the glory of Jesus Christ and seeing and beholding his beauty. As difficult as Owen is to read, i ...more
READ THIS BOOK!!! BUY IT, BUY IT NOW!!! I am only a young, lay person, but with much meditation I can see what Owen is talking about. No matter who you are, if you profess to believe in Christ Jesus, you need to read this! ~Oh how my heart longs to hear every Pastor preach about the Glory of Christ like how Owen wrote about it. How I long to see EVERYONE living life this way, with Christ One and Only in their life, seeking out His Glory day by day.~ Along with spending daily time alone with God, ...more
This volume contains a short biography of Owen, The Person of Christ, Meditations on the Glory of Christ, Meditations on the Glory of Christ Applied, and two catechisms. I have read the bio and The Person of Christ several years ago. The Person of Christ is excellent and well worth a re-read. Recently I read Meditations Applied for a counseling class. Owen is logical, exasperatingly thorough, pastoral, evangelical, and wonderful.
David Luke
Reading my way through this again although in the Christian Focus edition which is well set out. At times it still leaves me in wide-eyed wonder at the glory of Christ. Sinclair Ferguson writes that when he reads Owen he wonders why he bothers reading anything else. One gets a sense of what he means through this great book
There are books and then there are books, in my opinion the writings of the Puritans are in a class all their own. I have heard John Piper refer to them as the Redwoods of the Christian faith, the theology and thinking of this book tells why. If you read you will have to grow thereby.
Phil Griffin
This is a life changing book. It is an extremely helpful in-depth meditation on the wonderful subject of the Glory of Christ. I found it helpful to read the book over a few months so that I could regularly meditate on this glorious subject.
Aug 07, 2009 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious students of the Word
Recommended to Tom by: Britt
I am currently on my 5th read through, I hope that I get it this time.
You could say it took me 6 years to read this book. It was first given to me as a graduation (high school!) gift from my brother-in-law. Over the years, I've started it, set it down; started it, set it down, but finally finished it this morning. And in a perfect display of the providence of God, it has acted as nourishment to my bones in the midst of a soul-wearying time. This book is a treasure.

As an aside, most folks seem to go to Owen's "Mortification" writings most (especially those who are
Mark A Powell
Owen points us to the glory of Christ: both the fullness of who He is and also the finality of what He has done to accomplish the salvation of His people. It is as we lose sight of this glory that we are prone to sin, he argues, and the solution is to once again turn our gaze upon Christ. An imminently practical and powerful book. Even in abridged form, Owen’s treasure remains magisterial and profound.
I have read bits and pieces of John Owen before, but never a full book. This is definitely the one to start with, especially this readable version published by Banner of Truth Trust. This book is filled with the beauty of Christ's glory, and why reflecting on His glory matters. Highly recommended.
Marguerite Harrell
Got to love John Owen and his book. I am still currently reading The Glory of Christ (Puritan Paperbacks).

On the bottom page 107-108: "Let us then examine ourselves. Do we long and desire to see the reality of Christ's glory in heaven? Are we meditating on that perfect image of Christ's glory given to us in the gospel? Or are we too filled with this world and its concerns?"

Close to the bottom of page 116: "No man is able of himself to receive Christ and behold his glory. The power of grace must
Josue Manriquez
John Owen, as always, has written an excellent book. He writes in such a way so as to provoke the reader to want to know Christ more intimately. In this book he draws the reader's attention to the greatness of who Christ is and what He has accomplished, and how in those we see a glimpse of Christ's glory. He also reminds us that we will not fully behold the glory of Christ until He returns to receive us unto Himself. In the mean time, he succeeds, in this book, to explain the importance of delig ...more
Tim Woody
This abridged version of "The Glory of Christ" by John Owen published by the Puritan Paperbacks group was a very good read. Refreshing to the heart and mind, Owen seeks to turn our attention to Christ with faithful affection. He is a master at analogies, and these rare paragraphs will give you rocks to mine for days, drawing out spiritual benefits. While not logically precise, Owen remains devotional. His 17th century writing style might deter some readers but reading this slowly as a devotional ...more
My experience with this book was unusual. At first I really got into it; then it was hard going for a while; then I got into it again; and finally it again became rather a chore. The good parts outweighed the slow ones, though. There is a lot that is profound and insightful but Owen also seems (unsurprisingly) concerned with answering somewhat different questions than the contemporary reader is likely to bring to the book. This is what I think made some parts such slow going. Owen was trying to ...more
Andy Thaxton
Wonderful! This was my first exposure to Owen and his writing is difficult, but not as hard as I have heard some make him out to be. The depth and scope and means of Christ and His work is masterfully drawn out and investigated. Owen sets out at differing angles as he approaches the features and details of Christ's office, role, and purposes, while constantly holding the banner of His glory high over head. The last few chapters were surprisingly practical and easily span the centuries bringing r ...more
Terry Cave
Wow! Loved this book!

John Owen was a fantastic theologian. He really digs into the "Glory of Christ", from many angles.

I can not do it justice in this short space. Any Christian that wishes to grow, needs to read this book.

I really enjoyed the challenging end to the book, that focuses on spiritual decay, how to recognise it and how to fix it.

Too many of us are lazy mediocre Christians. This book will help to sharpen you and give you a kick in the pants, to put Christ first in your life!!

I will c
Ian Hammond
C.S Lewis argued that reading theology is better for devotion than reading devotions, and I agree. This work here is a wonderful exposition of that principle. John Owen's text is 2 Corinthians 3:18, "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another." John Owen's goal: to open our eyes to see the glory of Jesus in his various offices. This work is highly recommended for devotional use. What better way to ...more
Great outline of Christ of who He is
Practical, yet incredibly deep, John Owen's "The Glory of Christ" is a book that shows the close connection between theology and the heart. Owen first outlines Christ's characteristics and shows the believer's necessity to see Christ's glory. From this foundation, he reveals how believers must first see and meditate on Christ's glory before they can reflect it to others. This short meditation is packed with rich encouragement for those who long to experience and enjoy Christ in all of his fullne ...more
Drew Van gorder
This book with it's in depth and incredibly thorough look at Jesus in all his glory makes me want to read it again and again. John Owen may have been the greatest theologian of all time and yet, even though much of his writing is incredibly logical, Owen displays the pastor's heart throughout this writing. Jesus was certainly glorified through Dr. Owen's writing in this particular work. Now one of my all time favorite books.
"One of the greatest privileges and advancements of believers, both in this world and to eternity, consists in their beholding the glory of Christ."

I hoped this book would never run out of its captivates your heart as you contemplate, with Owen for a guide, the inexpressible Glory of Christ. Sweet meditations on the various angels of this rare and precious jewel.
I love the Puritans, but this is my first Owen read, and I confess I stumbled over it quite a bit. What I learned most from this book was how little I understand or meditate on the glory of Christ. I do wonder if the abridgment and modernization of Owen's words might have actually made him more difficult to read.
Eliezer Salazar
I recommend every Christian, especially new Christians, to read this book.
"Father, I desire that they also whom you gave me may be with me where I am, that they may behold my glory which you have given me; for you loved me before the foundation of the world." - John 17:24.
Luke Smith
It has caused me to think more on the eternal hope that I have in Christ, and is loaded with Scriptures in italics to help me follow along with his statements. Although I would be especially attentive when reading chapter 15, there are some questionable comments made.
This is a great book for meditation for Christian believers. Basically goes through different aspects and attributes of Christ's glory. Some chapters more than others got me pumped and stirred my affections. I would definitely recommend it.
The quote from page 9 summarizes the book well, "The glory of Christ is far beyond the grasp of our human understanding." John Owen further discusses how the glory of Christ is displayed through His various roles. Excellent read.
Justin Andrusk
Awesome book! Another one of those Puritan classics that challenges your assumption as to if you are in Christ or are deceiving yourself. Must read for those who bear the name of Christ.
In my top 3. By far an amazing book! A book that can be read many times over, very easily. Have to stop on every page and just soak in what you just read. A must read.
Very, very good. I decided I would read, at the very least, one Puritan Paperback a year. This is my 1 so far this year.
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • All Things for Good
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Existence and Attributes of God
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology, and Worship
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Doctrine of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • For the Love of God: Volume Two: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word: 2
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 3: Sin and Salvation in Christ
  • Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...

Works of John Owen (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Communion with God
  • The Holy Spirit
  • The Work of the Spirit (Works of John Owen, Volume 4)
  • Faith and Its Evidences (Works of John Owen, Volume 5)
  • Temptation and Sin (Works of John Owen, Volume 6)
  • Sin and Grace (Works of John Owen, Volume 7)
  • Sermons To The Nation (Works Of John Owen, Volume 8)
  • Sermons to the Church (Works of John Owen, Volume 9)
  • The Death of Christ (Works of John Owen, Volume 10)
  • Continuing in the Faith (Works of John Owen, Volume 11)

“On Christ’s glory I would fix all my thoughts and desires, and the more I see of the glory of Christ, the more the painted beauties of this world will wither in my eyes and I will be more and more crucified to this world. It will become to me like something dead and putrid, impossible for me to enjoy.” 32 likes
“No man shall ever behold the glory of Christ by sight hereafter who does not in some measure behold it here by faith.” 1 likes