The Glory of Christ

The Glory of Christ

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  28 reviews
John Owen was educated at Oxford, where he was awarded a master's degree at the age of nineteen. While pastoring a church in Essex, he preached before the English parliament. This led to Oliver Cromwell appointing him dean of Christ Church Cathedral and vice-chancellor of Oxford University. Owen later declined the presidency of Harvard College and concentrated instead on h...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Eremitical Press (first published January 1st 1949)

Bernard Hull
I read this twice the second time immediately following the first. I have only found myself drawn to do this on three other occasions and the subject matter of each of those books was the wonderful Person and work of Christ. This book was written when Owen was near the end of his life and it is full of the greatness and beauty of Jesus.
Katy
READ THIS BOOK!!! BUY IT, BUY IT NOW!!! I am only a young, lay person, but with much meditation I can see what Owen is talking about. No matter who you are, if you profess to believe in Christ Jesus, you need to read this! ~Oh how my heart longs to hear every Pastor preach about the Glory of Christ like how Owen wrote about it. How I long to see EVERYONE living life this way, with Christ One and Only in their life, seeking out His Glory day by day.~ Along with spending daily time alone with God,...more
Joe
There are books and then there are books, in my opinion the writings of the Puritans are in a class all their own. I have heard John Piper refer to them as the Redwoods of the Christian faith, the theology and thinking of this book tells why. If you read you will have to grow thereby.
Tom
Aug 07, 2009 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious students of the Word
Recommended to Tom by: Britt
I am currently on my 5th read through, I hope that I get it this time.
Scott
You could say it took me 6 years to read this book. It was first given to me as a graduation (high school!) gift from my brother-in-law. Over the years, I've started it, set it down; started it, set it down, but finally finished it this morning. And in a perfect display of the providence of God, it has acted as nourishment to my bones in the midst of a soul-wearying time. This book is a treasure.

As an aside, most folks seem to go to Owen's "Mortification" writings most (especially those who are...more
Drgiv
I have read bits and pieces of John Owen before, but never a full book. This is definitely the one to start with, especially this readable version published by Banner of Truth Trust. This book is filled with the beauty of Christ's glory, and why reflecting on His glory matters. Highly recommended.
Marguerite Harrell
Got to love John Owen and his book. I am still currently reading The Glory of Christ (Puritan Paperbacks).

On the bottom page 107-108: "Let us then examine ourselves. Do we long and desire to see the reality of Christ's glory in heaven? Are we meditating on that perfect image of Christ's glory given to us in the gospel? Or are we too filled with this world and its concerns?"

Close to the bottom of page 116: "No man is able of himself to receive Christ and behold his glory. The power of grace must...more
Josue Manriquez
John Owen, as always, has written an excellent book. He writes in such a way so as to provoke the reader to want to know Christ more intimately. In this book he draws the reader's attention to the greatness of who Christ is and what He has accomplished, and how in those we see a glimpse of Christ's glory. He also reminds us that we will not fully behold the glory of Christ until He returns to receive us unto Himself. In the mean time, he succeeds, in this book, to explain the importance of delig...more
Tim Woody
This abridged version of "The Glory of Christ" by John Owen published by the Puritan Paperbacks group was a very good read. Refreshing to the heart and mind, Owen seeks to turn our attention to Christ with faithful affection. He is a master at analogies, and these rare paragraphs will give you rocks to mine for days, drawing out spiritual benefits. While not logically precise, Owen remains devotional. His 17th century writing style might deter some readers but reading this slowly as a devotional...more
Alexander
My experience with this book was unusual. At first I really got into it; then it was hard going for a while; then I got into it again; and finally it again became rather a chore. The good parts outweighed the slow ones, though. There is a lot that is profound and insightful but Owen also seems (unsurprisingly) concerned with answering somewhat different questions than the contemporary reader is likely to bring to the book. This is what I think made some parts such slow going. Owen was trying to...more
Terry Cave
Wow! Loved this book!

John Owen was a fantastic theologian. He really digs into the "Glory of Christ", from many angles.

I can not do it justice in this short space. Any Christian that wishes to grow, needs to read this book.

I really enjoyed the challenging end to the book, that focuses on spiritual decay, how to recognise it and how to fix it.

Too many of us are lazy mediocre Christians. This book will help to sharpen you and give you a kick in the pants, to put Christ first in your life!!

I will c...more
Jeff
Practical, yet incredibly deep, John Owen's "The Glory of Christ" is a book that shows the close connection between theology and the heart. Owen first outlines Christ's characteristics and shows the believer's necessity to see Christ's glory. From this foundation, he reveals how believers must first see and meditate on Christ's glory before they can reflect it to others. This short meditation is packed with rich encouragement for those who long to experience and enjoy Christ in all of his fullne...more
Ilona
"One of the greatest privileges and advancements of believers, both in this world and to eternity, consists in their beholding the glory of Christ."

I hoped this book would never run out of its pages...it captivates your heart as you contemplate, with Owen for a guide, the inexpressible Glory of Christ. Sweet meditations on the various angels of this rare and precious jewel.
Trisha
I love the Puritans, but this is my first Owen read, and I confess I stumbled over it quite a bit. What I learned most from this book was how little I understand or meditate on the glory of Christ. I do wonder if the abridgment and modernization of Owen's words might have actually made him more difficult to read.
Eliezer Salazar
I recommend every Christian, especially new Christians, to read this book.
"Father, I desire that they also whom you gave me may be with me where I am, that they may behold my glory which you have given me; for you loved me before the foundation of the world." - John 17:24.
Luke Smith
It has caused me to think more on the eternal hope that I have in Christ, and is loaded with Scriptures in italics to help me follow along with his statements. Although I would be especially attentive when reading chapter 15, there are some questionable comments made.
Brendon
This is a great book for meditation for Christian believers. Basically goes through different aspects and attributes of Christ's glory. Some chapters more than others got me pumped and stirred my affections. I would definitely recommend it.
Phil Griffin
This is a life changing book. It is an extremely helpful in-depth meditation on the wonderful subject of the Glory of Christ. I found it helpful to read the book over a few months so that I could regularly meditate on this glorious subject.
David
The quote from page 9 summarizes the book well, "The glory of Christ is far beyond the grasp of our human understanding." John Owen further discusses how the glory of Christ is displayed through His various roles. Excellent read.
Justin Andrusk
Awesome book! Another one of those Puritan classics that challenges your assumption as to if you are in Christ or are deceiving yourself. Must read for those who bear the name of Christ.
Virgil
In my top 3. By far an amazing book! A book that can be read many times over, very easily. Have to stop on every page and just soak in what you just read. A must read.
Josh
Very, very good. I decided I would read, at the very least, one Puritan Paperback a year. This is my 1 so far this year.
Les Wolf
I was struggling physically this week with back pain and this book helped me to focus and to get through it with flying colors.
John
Best volume on christology possible. A mix between a scholarly work and devotional classic. Puritanism at its best!
Jin
"An essential book for every Christians who want to know and to learn more about God."
Daniel Wells
My first time reading John Owen at length. I was not disappointed.
Kara
It his is one book I need to read often in my life.
Evan Knies
Great book. Recommended.
Stephen Davis
Stephen Davis is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
  • All Things for Good
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • What Jesus Demands from the World
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • The Attributes of God
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...
The Mortification of Sin Overcoming Sin & Temptation The Death of Death in the Death of Christ Communion with God The Holy Spirit (Puritan Paperbacks: Treasures of John Owen for Today's Readers)

“On Christ’s glory I would fix all my thoughts and desires, and the more I see of the glory of Christ, the more the painted beauties of this world will wither in my eyes and I will be more and more crucified to this world. It will become to me like something dead and putrid, impossible for me to enjoy.” 21 likes