Start by marking “The Children of Mother Glory” as Want to Read:
The Children of Mother Glory

The Children of Mother Glory

"Anything with two legs and a pulse." The Iron Wolf mercenaries who guard travelers on the Misery Trail are notorious for their quick and casual sex lives.

Deryn may fit the stereotype better than most, but she has her reasons. Tragedy in her childhood has left her wary of forming attachments. If you don't care, then you can't get hurt, but you can still make a mess of thin
Published December 15th 2009 by Spinsters Ink (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Children of Mother Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Children of Mother Glory

Amy Robertson
Feb 07, 2010 Amy Robertson rated it it was amazing
The Children of Mother Glory by first time author C.M. Harris is a sweeping trek spanning the twentieth century through the eyes of four disparate characters born into a Mid-western religious sect. The Potterites are not a cult, just fundamentalist and devout. Mother Glory, an absorbing and steady woman and the eventual leader of the community, is introduced to the reader as an adolescent. She’s the anchor of the novel and we see her through to old age. She is a remarkable, complexly drawn chara ...more
Elizabeth Hart
Feb 25, 2010 Elizabeth Hart rated it it was amazing
I’ve been pondering this novel for a few weeks now. It struck me as intensely personal, not because I identified deeply with a character or characters (though I did), or because I assumed it was the coded diary of the author (which I did not), but because the novel is so perfectly human, filled with beautifully drawn characters, complex and utterly believable.

As I read this extraordinary novel I found myself reminded of Virginia Woolf and Willa Cather. Woolf because she was quite vocal about her
Ruth Sims
Jul 09, 2010 Ruth Sims rated it it was amazing
The Children of Mother Glory is all kinds of wonderful. When I was only halfway through, I knew I would be able to recommend it without reservation to anyone except homophobes. Now that I have finished, there is no reason to change my mind.

There's almost nothing I can add to the reader reviews just preceding mine, but I'll try. The book is arranged in what I consider to be four novellas linked by the protagonists' ties to the Potterite community, begun in faith in God, Amish-like self-sufficien
Faith
May 16, 2010 Faith rated it liked it
This novel (to use the term loosely) in 4 connected parts is centered on a fictional religious sect in the Midwest and moves from the 1910s to the present day. Mother Glory, a revered reverend and a closeted lesbian, is the best-drawn character. The author tries to make it a surprise that the fourth main character is a transwoman, but the jacket copy gives it away. Why do publishers do that?

The whole of this book is greater than its parts---each story is fairly predictable, but I enjoyed seeing
Karen
Sep 23, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
I thought the writing wasn't all that great and didn't quite make the Potterite community vivid enough, but I liked how she showed the gradual changes over time and tied all the stories together. Though her fast sweep through a hundred years didn't allow for as much complexity as I would've liked, each main character had a different set of conflicts and a different take on how to either balance or choose between religion and their sexuality. I wanted to give it a 3.5 and would also be interested ...more
Meagan
Aug 24, 2012 Meagan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The first of four short stories was the best, the others were not as good, but I still loved it. I didn't really understand the community problem that tied the stories together but I liked the personal stories, and problems. I rate this book high because it does a great job in a genre that is always looking for more and better stuff.
Catherine
Dec 05, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of linked stories about LGBT members of a small pacifist church. I thought Harris really bring the different historical settings to life and I'm looking forward to reading her other works.
Sam
Feb 22, 2010 Sam rated it it was amazing
Really good book. I love the attention to historical detail. Loved the humor throughout. I feel like I really know these people. Really liked that it wasn't a one night read. It's a nearly 400 page book that called to me when I was supposed to be working and when I needed to be sleeping.
Cheri
May 08, 2010 Cheri rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed it. My review is at www.lezficrev.blogspot.com.
Lori Moon
Feb 18, 2010 Lori Moon rated it really liked it
Loved this book, very interesting point of view. I wished the stories could have had more closure, but loved it anyway.
Jo
Feb 07, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
Deeply moving, carefully crafted and insightful. Wish I could read it for the first time AGAIN.
Ulla
Ulla rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Ana Byers
Ana Byers rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2014
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2011
Darcie Moore
Darcie Moore rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Brittany Guevara
Brittany Guevara rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Zeke
Zeke rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Pennie
Pennie rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2011
rosyrock
rosyrock rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2010
Leanna Hammond
Leanna Hammond marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2010
Samrat
Samrat marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2010
A Lauren
A Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2010
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2010
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2011
Barrett
Barrett is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2011
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2011
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2011
Lori Summers
Lori Summers marked it as to-read
May 01, 2011
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2011
J. Allen Nelson
J. Allen Nelson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2011
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2011
Kallas
Kallas marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2011
Teri Rowe
Teri Rowe marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Donna Mclearie
Donna Mclearie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
2040770
C.M. Harris is the author of The Children of Mother Glory (Spinsters Ink, 2009) and Enter Oblivion (Casperian Books, 2011)
More about C.M. Harris...